Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Reserves and Deep Strike questions
Old 04 Mar 2009, 18:34   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Reserves and Deep Strike questions

So I am still pretty new to WH40k, and have yet to play a game with Reserves/Deep Strike. So I thought I would poll all of you and ask about general Tau strategies and tactics when it comes to Reserves and Deep Strike. Obviously a fair amount of Tau units can DS, but given the mobility, is it worth it to not have them potentially for a few turns?

What are your thoughts and opinions? Are there any common mistakes to avoid or things I should be thinking of ahead of time?

Thanks!
Grorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Mar 2009, 18:49   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Reserves and Deep Strike questions

I would look up any tactics that involve ninja tau since that is a army based off of reserving or deepstriking pretty much your whole army. Even if you don't go that way with your army you can learn a few tricks.
Old 04 Mar 2009, 18:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hi. I think that for small gaming boards it is not worth deep striking but on a larger one you could start with one crisis suit team at the front of the army and two deepstriking either just behind or just in front. Do not try to deep strike too close to a enemy unit because you can lose your precious suits all too easily.

One other tactic is to use doom frisbees. Gun drones that deep strike behind enemy tanks destroying them by shooting on mass. It can be a very effective distraction method as other units of yours creep closer.
Old 04 Mar 2009, 19:39   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If FOC aren't an issue it is probably better to drop a stealth team rather than a gun drone squad. For 6 less points a group of three stealth suits will score .75 glances and .75 penetrations on average vs the .74 glances and .74 penetrations on average for the drones. It is a little tough to compare durability because stealth suits have better armour and stealth but less wounds. This also isn't including adding a fusion blaster or that the burst cannons have a better range making it more reliable that they wont scatter out of range.
Ironclaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Mar 2009, 19:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I would like to point out that you cannot deepstrike a bunch of stealth teams the only similar thing is infiltrate where you must be at least 12" away from the enemy without them being able to see you or 18" and in plain view. if you were to deploy 18" behind an enemy tank you would probably be off the table.

Also the point of gun drones is they have superior numbers and twin linked weapons to increasse chance of hitting and they can run from any sticky situation pretty quickly whereas a stealth suit team cannot.
Old 04 Mar 2009, 20:18   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by O_Shavera
I would like to point out that you cannot deepstrike a bunch of stealth teams the only similar thing is infiltrate where you must be at least 12" away from the enemy without them being able to see you or 18" and in plain view. if you were to deploy 18" behind an enemy tank you would probably be off the table.
You can in 5th, since all jump infantry can deepstrike.
MentosMkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Mar 2009, 20:27   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

so they can at the time i was looking at my codex not rulebook. But regarding points most likely you are going to want extras on your stealth suits which would make them more expensive and although overall one extra shot is fired from the stealth suits the twinlinked weapons of the drones will ensure more will hit. equipping the stealth suits with fusion blasters though would be a deadly combination.
Old 04 Mar 2009, 21:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

Quote:
so they can at the time i was looking at my codex not rulebook. But regarding points most likely you are going to want extras on your stealth suits which would make them more expensive and although overall one extra shot is fired from the stealth suits the twinlinked weapons of the drones will ensure more will hit. equipping the stealth suits with fusion blasters though would be a deadly combination.
Stealth suits could always deepstrike if I'm not mistaken. I'll check my dex when I get home.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2009, 00:07   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
Quote:
Stealth suits could always deepstrike if I'm not mistaken. I'll check my dex when I get home.
Yes you are right, either way Stealth suits can Deep Strike.
MentosMkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Mar 2009, 16:05   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The chance of a gun drone hitting is 10/18 per shot and a steath suit is 9/18 so the one additional shot that the stealth suits have means on average more will hit 8*(10/18) < 9*(9/18) : 4.44 < 4.5. The biggest difference is where they fit in the FOC. Stealth suits however can also have fusion blasters which actually allow then to penetrate 11+ armor and they are just as mobile. Three suits with a fusion blaster is still cheaper that a gun drone squad.
Ironclaws is offline   Reply With Quote