Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Question Regarding Seeker Missiles - Who Can Use Them?
Old 02 Mar 2009, 18:51   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Question Regarding Seeker Missiles - Who Can Use Them?

I played my first game as the Tau last night(against Chaos Daemons), loads of fun, I lost, but oh well. Anyways, I have one seeker-missile mounted on all my tanks(2 Hammerheads/2 Devilfish) and about mid-way through the game I came upon a good chance to use them against his Lord of Change. Here is what happens.

I fire my markerlights from my PF Squad and score four "marks" on his LoC. My HQ is also shooting at his with PR and MP, and I call in for a seeker missile strike. I am confused about how this whole thing works. Can another unit call in for seeker missiles, or can only a market light equipped character have the ability to call them in?

It says under the Seeker Missile description in the Codex that "Any model equipped with a marketlight may request a seeker missile salvo as detailed in the ML rules", but under the markerlight section it says that markerlight counters may be expended by subsequently firing Tau firing at the "marked" unit. Every counters expended grants the firing unit one of the following effects, may be combined... and then it says to allow a vehicle to fire a single seeker missile at the marked unit(as if BS 5).

1. Does this mean that only my PF squad(only unit at the time with MLs) may call in SMs after they score hits with their markerlights?

2. Does this mean that my PF squad could have scored hits with the MLs, but another unit/character equipped with MLs would have to call in the SMs?

3. Does this mean that I can fire MLs with my PF unit, score hits, and then another unit(with/without MLs) can then call in SMs such as my Commander or a FW team?

Also, can a PF team fire both their MLs and their PCs? I assume that it's one or another, but clarification would be appreciated.

Big thanks to who ever can help. The more detailed the answer, the better. Thanks.
Semaj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2009, 19:00   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Wild
Default Re: Question Regarding Seeker Missiles - Who Can Use Them?

There were lots of arguments on this, but the entry is very specific that the vehicle can expend a Markerlight to fire a Seeker Missile. In other words, its not the Crisis Suits, the Pathfinders, etc. It's the Vehicles that have them. Do note however, this does NOT force them to shoot at that target, so they are allowed to fire their primary guns at someone else.
Old 02 Mar 2009, 19:06   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

So if a SM is on any vehicle, and there is a ML placed on any enemy unit on the field, then when it comes for the vehicle to fire I just declare that my vehicle(s) is firing SM(s) at this marked unit and I carry on as normal and make the usual movements/firing for the vehicle?
Old 02 Mar 2009, 19:08   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semaj7
1. Does this mean that only my PF squad(only unit at the time with MLs) may call in SMs after they score hits with their markerlights?

2. Does this mean that my PF squad could have scored hits with the MLs, but another unit/character equipped with MLs would have to call in the SMs?

3. Does this mean that I can fire MLs with my PF unit, score hits, and then another unit(with/without MLs) can then call in SMs such as my Commander or a FW team?
Roughly here how it goes:
Step 1: you use a markerlight to paint a unit (either from pathfinder, stealth Shas'vre/team leader, fire warrior shas'la, marker drone, skyray, sniper drone spotter or XV-84);
Step 2: The vehicule carrying the Seeker declare that a seeker is used and he rolls for it to hit.

1 seeker missile = 1 marker token use.

Repeat if you have more seeker and more marker token obviously.

Quote:
Also, can a PF team fire both their MLs and their PCs? I assume that it's one or another, but clarification would be appreciated.
Only the shas'ui can do so IF you give him a Hard-wired multitracker

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2009, 19:11   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Big thanks to both of you, I have reported both of your posts requesting for + Karma to be given.
Old 02 Mar 2009, 19:21   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

The other thing to consider is that, IIRC, cover save is calculated from the missile point of origin (eg, the vehicule), not the markerlight's origin.

Sometimes this can have an impact.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2009, 19:31   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
Quote:
Only the shas'ui can do so IF you give him a Hard-wired multitracker
It seems like it should be noted that a Multi-tracker's ability to allow INFANTRY to fire two weapons is somewhat in dispute - the Multi-tracker entry states it allows the firing of two battlesuit weapon systems, and neither Pulse Rifles nor Pulse Carbines are such (though arguably a ML is, given its place on Stealth Suits).

Its one of those wierd loopholes that basically made HW MTs utterly useless to infantry as the codex was written, but if your opponents allow it based on the stupidity of a codex providing wargear that NEVER has an effect (even before an edition change), nothing is stopping a shas'ui with the HWMT from firing both.
Old 02 Mar 2009, 21:01   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I was one of the people arguing about this one

The Seeker Missile does not have to be fired by the "Vehicle", but can be called by any unit that can expend the Marker Token.

1. The Pathfinders fire and cause 4 MLH's on the target.

2. Following the Markerlight rules - any subsequently firing Tau unit (Fireing at the Marked Target) can choose to expend a Marker Token (or multiple Tokens) to do any of the effects granted by the Token.

3. So any Tau Unit that fires at the Marked Target (Infantry or Vehicle) can expend a Token to fire a Seeker Missile - which then Launches from the Vehicle (Regardless of whether the vehicle has already moved or fired).

It is not just Vehicles that Fire the Missiles, it is the actual act of expending a Marker Token that causes the Missile to be launched, however to actually expend a Token you have to meet the criteria laid out in the Markerlight rules (and any Tau unit can do this).
Old 02 Mar 2009, 21:11   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Just to stir the pot here, I want to add a bit from the Seeker Missiles section of the Codex.

It says going from page 30-31 under Seeker Missiles.

"Any model equipped with a markerlight may request a seeker missile salvo as detailed in the markerlight rules."

My friend said that this means that only a model equipped with a markerlight may request seeker missile fire(one marker for each missile, in this case my Pathfinder Unit).

So going by this by Pathfinder unit would fire, markers would hit, and then at that moment I could expend markerlights to have seeker missiles fired at the marked target. However, any other Tau unit such as my firewarriors could fire at the same unit using the listed effects, except that could not use Seeker Missiles.

For me, going by what my friend says or by the way Wild/Boneguard said it would still have the same end result, just in a different order on the field... but I am sure that may cause some sort of issue in some future scenario.

Old 02 Mar 2009, 22:08   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

If I'm not mistaken the Tau Empire Codex never actually says that there is a particular order in which marker light tokens must be expended. The only limitation that it states is that all unused markerlight tokens are removed at the end of your shooting phase. So it stands to reason that you can use markerlight tokens at any point during the shooting phase as long as they are used before the end of the shootking phase.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote