Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

First Tournament: 1750pnts
Old 02 Mar 2009, 11:49   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default First Tournament: 1750pnts

I just finished off my first 5th edition tournament with my Tau. Thought Id share how it went.

my roster was 1749 points.

Shaso - CIB/PR/SG/HWMT
2 Bodyguard - TLFB/TA/HWDC+Shield drone, TLF/FB/MT/HWDC+shield drone

2 FW units all pulse rifles and bonding knives with 2 marker drones, one unit with a DF

3 Piranha, 2 with FB

3 FireKnife XV8

2 Firestorm XV8 with 1 shasvre AFL/BC/MT

Hammerhead with Rail + seeker missile/disruption pod

3 Broadside with A.S.S.

First game: Blood angles.

Major victory. Objective was 3 tokens to take and hold. Easily out manuvered the marines while railguns plastered the armor.

Second game: Orks

Crushing defeat. Ghazakul was really the whole army for my opponent. The game was table quarters with another take and hold objective. The Waaagh movement wave took me by surprize and wiped me out. Didnt get off enough shooting in time to thin out the green wave.

3rd game: Dark angels

Major victory. Dawn of war scenario. Going first won the game for me from the start. I was able to set up further into the field forcing my opponent to set up 18" away. The opening round of night fight conditions only helped me further as I moved everything from reserves into position. Best part was cracking open a landraider with a railhead and mopping up the termies with plasma rifles.

Overall: FIREKNIVES! this configuration was the best performer by far in the list. Pulse rifles from the troops was great to see in rapid fire also. worst performer had to be the piranha. They looked nice, but killed little. In future Id trade them in off the list for more FW to hold objectives.

In the end I was 4tth in standings and won best painted army. A fun and educational day overall.
Old 02 Mar 2009, 16:52   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean
Default Re: First Tournament: 1750pnts

You've got an interesting list. A little too all over the place for my liking. I mean that to say that you have a pretty good sampling of everything. I generally like to find things that work well and then double up on it and take lots of them. This works for me. I find redundancy works best in a Tau army. We're not the toughest army out there so generally I dont like to be crippled when I inevitably lose something. But it's awesome that you did so well.

Cheers!
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2009, 17:24   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

its basically a list with a forward line and a defensive line.

suits and mobile vehicles for taking, railguns and static FWs for fire support.

Like I said it all worked well except the piranah were just window dressing. Itd been better to take more FW or a stealth team.
Old 02 Mar 2009, 18:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'd probably recommend the stealth team for the sake of mobile fire power. Or actually maybe a team of pathfinders 3 piranhas could easily be replaced by some pathfinders. They'll make your gunline better and get rid of all those annoying cover saves.
Old 02 Mar 2009, 20:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I personally always include a piranha since it can move up to 24". The turns it has no viable targets just move flat out and take advantage of the free cover save. This helps cut the cost on the piranha since you now don;t need a disruption pod. Any time you have to tajke a pot shot with a fusion gun the disruption pods would be useless so why spend the points on it. For objective based games keep it alive and on turn 5 move to contest an objective. Yes on annihilation missions they can be an easy kill point but just play your cards right and you can use it to pull units and or waste fire power on it. All around the piranha is a patient hunter and needs to be employeed as one.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2009, 20:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyena031
I personally always include a piranha since it can move up to 24". The turns it has no viable targets just move flat out and take advantage of the free cover save. This helps cut the cost on the piranha since you now don;t need a disruption pod. Any time you have to tajke a pot shot with a fusion gun the disruption pods would be useless so why spend the points on it. For objective based games keep it alive and on turn 5 move to contest an objective. Yes on annihilation missions they can be an easy kill point but just play your cards right and you can use it to pull units and or waste fire power on it. All around the piranha is a patient hunter and needs to be employeed as one.
Actually in KP games it can be the source of two KP's (by way of the drones that it drops).

I also disagree with the DP part, when going after vehicles. If your lucky and blow up/destroy a vehicle, then the save can keep your Piranha floating. If you don't... Well I'm just going to say that the little fish is quite the glass cannon.
(Which is a shame since it's one of my favorite Tau models). :-[

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2009, 20:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I think that they're awesome models too. But they'd totally be worth taking if they were cheaper. A LOT cheaper. Like 50 points fully loaded, seeker missiles and all.
Old 02 Mar 2009, 21:02   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
I think that they're awesome models too. But they'd totally be worth taking if they were cheaper. A LOT cheaper. Like 50 points fully loaded, seeker missiles and all.
Definitely. Of course, if even half of the IG rumors are true...Whenever Tau is re-done we will be drastically empowered and get a nice points drop too.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03 Mar 2009, 11:49   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

the way I always see it is if the model doesnt kill what it is worth then its not working right. Either the player isnt using it right, or the rules are not right.

In multiple games Ive found that the piranha at best have been a distraction. But they should be removing models from the field somewhat consistantly.

I agree they need to come down in price. With the current rules they are china tea cups. The fast move is great and a skimmer is never rock solid. But they ate up a lot of points on my roster without even dressing them up with vehicle wargear. I know if I spent those same points on an infantry choice they wouldve paid for themselves.
Old 03 Mar 2009, 13:48   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

The point of the game is only to kill 1/3 of the time. Units can make their points back other ways and distraction is one of them. They have the ability to waste your opponenets shots on them instead of on your scoring units. I myself never leave home without one for their ability to contest an objective the last turn of the game. Very few amries have a unit that can move 24" or more in a single turn. Piranhas have accounted for stealing one objective away from my enemy in my last two games thus securing me a draw and a win. It was definetly worth its points.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote