Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Crisis suit burst cannon
View Poll Results: Do you think the burst cannon for crisis suits is fine?
Yes 33 49.25%
No 5 7.46%
Needs change 29 43.28%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01 Mar 2009, 20:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Crisis suit burst cannon

I was just curious who was with me. I think the crisis suits should be able to hold a better version of a burst cannon. They aren't bad for there price, but I think that the size of a crisis suit team as an elite choice makes it somewhat overshadowed by stealth suits. It feels like in the hands of crisis suits that 3 shots is kinda redundant. Volume of fire is achieved at greater affect with standard fire warriors, and a suit that is supposed to be a tide turner can only pop out 3 shots sounds a little meh to me. Opinions, thoughts, open to all of them.
Ekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2009, 20:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Crisis suit burst cannon

Meant to add something, like I think a slight point increase for an extra shot would be a good plus.
Ekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2009, 20:34   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

It's fine. After all, vehicles don't get a better BC-version, as well.

But I agree, on Crisis Suits, it is generally a waste of points. I much prefer MPs and PRs on my XV8.
I do like them on Stealths, though. Their abilities (deepstrike, infiltrate, outflank) make them a valuable asset in any game, and their high rate of fire can be - combined with Markerlights - deadly to lightly armored units and even light vehicles (or the rear armour of vehicles).

Cheers,
-Bone

PS: Double posting is frowned upon. Just edit your first post.
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2009, 04:26   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I would like to see Burst Cannons on vehicles and Suits increase their range to 24 inches. Bigger gun == longer range.

As for my suits... I like running them as either PR/MP/MT or TL MP/flamer. I've not gone wrong with Twin Linked Missile Pods. They have great range and accuracy. I have changed out the third hard point to a flamer just in case the fast enemies get in my face I can use the flamers before I die. :'(
Old 02 Mar 2009, 05:13   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Comparing Burst Cannons on Crisis Suits vs Stealth Suits is rather pointless, in my opinion. They both do separate roles, and the weapons options available to both is not even comparable.

If Stealth Suits had their choice of 1 Battlesuit weapon, this might be a valuable comparison, but since it's either 3 short-range anti-infantry shots vs 1 knife-range anti-vehicle shot on a Stealth Suit, it's a moo point.

Either improve the whole range, or not at all. Maybe provide for Crisis Suits to use Long-Barrelled Burst Cannons instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.
Charistoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2009, 06:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

honestly you just need to tweak up the hull mounted options- give it 24 inches.

If you want there to be a difference between stealths and crisis burst cannons i would make it simple (or not change it at all) give them rending since it's so scaled down now.

ps: Get rid of the ion blaster PLEASE, its so useless forum gods- hear my prayer.
Old 02 Mar 2009, 06:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

I think they should give burst cannons assault 4 and bump up the ballistic skill on battlesuits to BS4. This would make burst cannons a lot more usefull in my opinion.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2009, 07:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Lonely Tau

Jedibean, that would make everything a lot more useful

I do think I'm one of the few people who can see the Burst Cannon as fine from where it is. It's a good weapon that I don't believe any of the other armies have the ability to field in the same capacity as we do (both on our normal troop unit and on our tanks and mobile infantry.) It has a pretty good rate of fire and the range is decent for Jump-Shoot-Jump attacks (which will keep you reliably out of enemy charge range if done right.) So we're putting out a really good amount of firepower with a gun that isn't even as much as a Fire Warrior, and if you combine it all together into one of my favorite suits, the Firestorm (Missile Pod, Burst Cannon, Multi-Tracker,) you have a unit that is spitting out a most excellent amount of shots at any range really, from medium to short, and at a high enough strength to be wounding most things with a surprising ease.

However I do see the problem of the Burst Cannon as it is with the addition of all this codex creep going on. Everything is basically getting better and better in the basic capacities, meaning that we're seeing more hording units and we're quickly becoming overwhelmed in general with all of these different units that can basically outswarm us 3-1. For this purpose, assuming that the codex creep is going to continue, then I would say that something is going to have to break gaming balance a little bit, and I suppose that the best way to do that would be, as Calmsword suggests, give the basic burst cannon rending. This doesn't help quite as much with horde units, but it does give us a little extra bite against MEQs, and although it might just be my pro-Firestorm setup opinions saying this, but it would pretty much make that the ultimate suit for firepower, range and reliability against any given opponent bar medium and heavy vehicles.
Originally Posted by coolmule
I wear a y'xa'uuk pretty dress, suggestively tilt my tankard of beer, and it's all "bet this" and "persuasion that". Mianko wakes up, grabs a photo, and everyone's mesmerized. What the y'xa'uk do I have to do to earn affection????
Hey baby, what're you doing this weekend? :-*
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmule
Tiwaz is my new forum favourite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager Zero
This is the kind of man who has to shave out eyes and a nose every morning before work. :P
Lonely Tau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2009, 09:19   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Ratmamahatma

You want to have everything easier, don't you? Its 18" Assault 3. Deal with it.
Look at it from the point of view of an Eldar. We are not horde army but our warriors have alike stats as thous from horde armies. Our troops have guns with range 12" and 18"... If I want to shoot anything I have to bring thous fragile troops right into face of bolters, cannons, tomatoes and assault ranges of enemy. Playing Eldar is like dancing on the edge of blade all the time. So don't be babies and deal with the range of 18" for once
Ratmamahatma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02 Mar 2009, 09:28   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Its still a damn fine gun.

fluff wise they could finish field testing on the CIB and make it standard availability. Make it assault 5 range 24 Str 3 rending/pinning and youd have a slightly different alternative to the burst cannon.

But really youre spoiled for choice as it is. With multi trackers you get lots of shots at high strength anyhow. A fire knife dishes 2 strength 7 shots and 2 strength 6 ap 2 shots X3 suits in the unit. No worries there.