Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

fighting Ghazghkull
Old 01 Mar 2009, 16:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default fighting Ghazghkull

I played my first tourny on the weekend for 5th edition, and had a lot of fun.

I won all my games except for a game where I was wiped out by Orks.

The army was really just a bunch of boyz and Ghazghkull. Not having ever faced him I wasnt sure what to expect.

Then that Waagh move effect took place and it was all over but the crying. Since its classified as a *fleet* move, he was able to move, run, waaagh move, then assault.

Now I didnt want to cry "bullshit" too loud, but this character reeked of cheese. Is this seriously how the character works? And if so how do I counter him in the future?
Old 01 Mar 2009, 16:26   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: fighting Ghazghkull

His WAAAGH is different from the ordinary WAAAGH as it automatically gives a 6 for the WAAAGH move in the Shooting Phase. So, it's 1"-6" (Movement Phase) + 6" (Ghazghkull's WAAAGH) + 1"-6" (Assault Phase) = 8"-18". Furthermore, it makes his Armor Save an Invulnerable Save instead in the turn he declared WAAAGH until the end of your turn.

EDIT: Oh, plus every non-fleeing friendly unit is Fearless until the end of your turn as well.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2009, 16:40   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.Angus
Then that Waagh move effect took place and it was all over but the crying. Since its classified as a *fleet* move, he was able to move, run, waaagh move, then assault.
Not sure if this was just a mistake, but on a turn that the orks WAAAGH, orks are entitled to:

Movement Phase: 6" move as infantry
Shooting Phase: 1d6" move as per Running with Fleet of Foot, allowing them to assault after using this option (this is improved to 6" automatically by Gazgkull)
Assault Phase: 6" assault as infantry

They don't get an extra "WAAAGH move". Rather, a WAAAGH just makes them count as fleet for the turn, so they can move-run-assault. (Also note that there's an oft-forgotten rule for WAAAGH that can wound a member of the mob if the ork player rolls a 1 for their Run while using a WAAAGH, though obviously Gazgkull ignores that). This means, barring jumping out of a vehicle, the maximum assault distance for an Ork WAAAGH is 18", as mentioned above.

If you want to counter an Ork WAAAGH, you need to take advantage of terrain. Force the orks to charge through difficult terrain, forcing them to roll 1d6 for their assault distance and possibly causing them to miss the charge (and winding up twiddling heir thumbs in your rapid-fire range). Make use of speedbump units too, sticking a sacrificial squad out front for the orks to munch that (once again) leaves them in rapid-fire range. If he brings vehicles, pop them right away and make him walk to you. You want to get the maximum number of shots into his mobs at all times. Once you get the orks below 10 models, one bad leadership check is the end of the mob, but even a small mob will destroy whatever Tau it touches.
Jackelope King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2009, 17:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Not cheese at all but rather an extremely fluffy (orks are suppose to be a horde army) army that is being led by a character that grants fearless, a 6" run for all units with the Waaagh rule and an inv save just for Thrakka equal to his armour save for 1 full turn.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2009, 17:35   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.Angus
Sounds to me like you got cheated my friend. The Waaagh move IS the run move. The only difference is that you get to assault after making the run move. So they dont move, run, waaagh and then assault. They just move, run and assault. I'm pretty positive that the bonus that Ghazkull gets is that if he's in the army then you dont have to roll for the waaagh move and it automatically counts as being a 6".

In any case, Ghazkull is also slow and purposefull too. So if your opponent wasn't doing difficult terrain rolls every time he moved then you got cheated yet again.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2009, 19:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

As before, a vehicle wall might help slow there advance. Fletchette's should put a hurting on anybody that approaches. If you field those with rail guns on hammerheads, the sub munitions will completely devastate there ranks. Go burst cannons on all the vehicles too, tons of ammo output is tons of dead ork boys. And in the unlikely event they melee a ship to explode, hey, more potentially dead orks.
A new thing for me that I was against at first is twin linked flamer suits. I never liked the flamer, but found out that a full squad of twin linked flamer suits is incredibly cheap and if deep struck successfully, devastating! At 93 points for a squad (Just suits with twin linked flamers) with templates auto hitting and re-rolled wounds, OUCH! Go all the way and hide yourself a fail safe detonator, then just as the squad is supposed to do, they can kill even more boys. As a side note, if you don't know what you're fighting, I still firmly believe this squad to be effective, because of how cheap it is and what it's potential can achieve.
Stealth suits all with burst cannons, and 2 gun drones a piece can put out 30 Str 5 shots a squad. Pricey squad (300 pts.) but great for horde body counts, especially with a little boosted BS from 2 or so ML hits. Fall back is range, but the squad is a mobile firing base, 24'' threat range isn't too bad.
And as always, just have bunches of fire warriors with devilfish transports with fletchettes. Immobility is death.
Kroot gunlines are cheap, large amounts of firepower, and not all too shabby in melee. Of course Krootox would fall in line with the gunline, allowing wound sinks and power/range. A shaper would be of aid as well I believe, as a chopper isn't insta kill (I think). Only one though in maybe the front of the gunline, everyone behind with cover saves from the kroot in front.
Ekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2009, 19:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

It also sounds like you need to get a little more farmilar with the ork codex, especially if you are going to be playing tournaments. Venture on over to the ork boards, have a look, ask some questions, and turn a little green while you are at it. Really you should do this for all armies so that nothing is a surprise. Also any time your opponenet is fielding a special character, ask what he does when you are looking at his list at the beginning of the game.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2009, 19:56   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Sound advice, thanks. Ive played orks before but theres lots of whacky rules for them to remember.

Also its difficult to single out a guy in a large unit that can absorb hits for him. I think in future Id hold more off the table to deep strike so it divides up the force instead of holding back one big wave.