Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Markerlights and other rule clarifications
Old 01 Mar 2009, 02:26   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Markerlights and other rule clarifications

I had a game earlier this week against a friend of mine who plays marines a number of items I was using seemed to be rather overly effective so I just wanted to find out- in the spirit of fairness- if I was playing them correctly.
1)Markerlights: After a number of his power armoured minions went up in a plume of seeker missile induced death, he posed a rather interesting question, "do you get a cover save from markerlight hits." After seeing how animated he was getting (refering to the pathfinders as "cheats") I decided to play the rest of the game allowing him the cover save was this correct?
2)SMS: I know I'm right on this one but thought I'd put it here anyway, can you be facing completely the wrong way and around the corner from the target and still hit them?
3) Disruption Pods: It says that the vehicle counts as an obscured target so does this mean they would get a 4+ cover save from anything over 12" away?
4) Do kroot really get a 3+ cover save in woods now?
Any help/clarrification on these would be of great help to smoothing things over with my friend! (he doesn't lose well!)
Ksimyen Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2009, 02:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Wild
Default Re: Markerlights and other rule clarifications

2,3 and 4: Yes.

1: Depends, its coming from the vehicle, but its normal shooting so yes cover there.
Old 01 Mar 2009, 05:38   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

He would get a cover save from the missile not the marker light. armor invulnerable and cover saves only stop wounds. At least this is how I read the save rules.
Old 01 Mar 2009, 06:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

Markerlights themselves don't grant cover saves because they don't wound. So no, they're not "cheats", and Mr. Marine player has no right to get pissy.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2009, 09:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

About the SMS, where exactly does the Codex say that it does not use the usual vehicle firing arc, please? Does it also mean that I am not limited by the usual 45 degrees elevation limit?

That could help me a lot. During a tournament my Fish got immobilized facing a bad direction. It became useless for the rest of the game. If I could have used the SMS, I would have shot 4 shots a turn on the opponent.

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2009, 09:23   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via AIM to Sidstyler Send a message via MSN to Sidstyler

I think it still uses the same firing arc, it just doesn't need LOS. I don't believe it specifically says in the codex that it does, but it's still mounted in a cupola.

Warhams is serious business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeard
Knowing the rules is not WAAC. Bringing tough lists is not WAAC. Acting within the scope of the rules is not WAAC.
Sidstyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2009, 09:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

That is how I understand it.

The SMS is hull mounted, therefore it has the usual firing arc, however it does not need LOS. So no, you can not be facing "completely the wrong way" as Ksimyen Jud said.

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2009, 14:13   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidstyler
Markerlights themselves don't grant cover saves because they don't wound. So no, they're not "cheats", and Mr. Marine player has no right to get pissy.
Exactly. No wound caused = no cover save.

That is one of the strength of the markerlight, there is no save for it.

SMS are not affected by terrain or facing really...it's a undebelly 360 turret afterall.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2009, 17:23   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

You've gotten a lot of answers but if you'll allow me I'll give you some details on all of the answers.

Quote:
1)Markerlights: After a number of his power armoured minions went up in a plume of seeker missile induced death, he posed a rather interesting question, "do you get a cover save from markerlight hits." After seeing how animated he was getting (refering to the pathfinders as "cheats") I decided to play the rest of the game allowing him the cover save was this correct?
1) If you read the rules regarding saves, they specifically state that you only get saves against wounds. Marker Lights do not cause wounds and therefore do not grant any type of save whatsoever.

Quote:
2)SMS: I know I'm right on this one but thought I'd put it here anyway, can you be facing completely the wrong way and around the corner from the target and still hit them?
Quote:
The SMS is hull mounted, therefore it has the usual firing arc, however it does not need LOS. So no, you can not be facing "completely the wrong way" as Ksimyen Jud said.
2) It specifically states in the codex that it ignores line of sight. "Firing Arc" is used to determine the line of sight of the weapon. If a weapon ignores line of sight then it doesn't matter which way the vehicle is facing, it can fire it's weapon at any target that is in range of the weapon.

Quote:
3) Disruption Pods: It says that the vehicle counts as an obscured target so does this mean they would get a 4+ cover save from anything over 12" away?
3) Yes you are absolutely correct here. Inside of 12" you're in a lot of trouble, but outside of 12" you get a 4+ cover save.

Quote:
4) Do kroot really get a 3+ cover save in woods now?
4) Yes they do. Fieldcraft grants a +1 bonus to their cover save when they're in woods. In 4th edition woods only gave a 5+ cover save. In 5th edition woods are a 4+ cover save. So now their cover save is boosted to 3+.

Honestly your marine friend shouldn't really complain. All of the bonuses that our army got in 5th edition were offset by the loss of some key abilities from 4th edition that were all in all were pretty crippling. Similarly, the space marines have a brand new codex with all sorts of insane new abilities and special characters. Some of their more ridiculous stuff got nerfed but they've still got a few insanely good special characters and abilities. He should just learn how to play his army a little better really.

In any case, it's good to see new Tau players with such a keen grasp on the rules. Welcome to the greater good! ;D

Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01 Mar 2009, 18:24   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

I think you switched editions on us Jedi.

Writing the edition with the save in mind probably is what did it. I think "ahead" sometimes as well.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote