Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

New here and new to miniatures
Old 28 Feb 2009, 21:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default New here and new to miniatures

Hi there,

so I've started college (well in to it by now) and after beating most video games out there I'm kind of sick of them. So I'm looking for a new hobby to kill time and I start looking around. I find Miniatures -> Warhammer -> Tau -> tauonline.com... and since this hobby is a little expensive I look around and do some reading...

Anyhow after reading through all the painting tips and tricks I'm good with the theory. I've been working on a design based on this magnificent 'fish'. I came up with this design for my firewarriors.

Now, due to the limitations of the program I wasn't able to add the detail I wanted. I was thinking of making the belt buckle and wrist band a different colour but I don't want to make it too multicolored that it looks silly. Also I was going to go with the whole 'the troop just survived an avalanche' look a little like that aforementioned fish.

If any of you have any ideas as to which colors I should switch out where to make it flow better please let me know. Is it possible to file away the insignia on the shoulder pad to replace it with a decal?

Edit: I just realised this looks a lot like the Bork'An sept... and I 'think' I fixed the links...

[hr]
I made an airplane out of stone,
I always did like staying home.
Shel Silverstein
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2009, 22:03   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: New here and new to miniatures

The Link to Bolter and Chainword doesn't work; neither does the pic.

But, first of all, let me be the first to welcome you to these very Boards and the Hobby. Trust me, you could not have picked a better place to start! This board is full of experienced players coming from all different aspects of the hobby - painting, collecting, fluff (=background) writing, tournament and/or casual gaming, so someone always should have an answer handy. Don't be afraid to ask if you have any questions; no one around here bites (with the usual question mark next to Wargamer).

As regards the paint scheme, I like it (as far as the Fish you linked is concerned), but I'd advise you not to put up your hopes too much on your first attempts - they'll most likely suck. But don't be disheartened, just follow a few easy-to-learn techniques (my favorite is washing - it's so easy, a monkey could do it...), and you'll achieve remarkable results very soon.

Now, as for your Firewarrior paint scheme - as mentioned, neither link nor picture work, but just a remark abou what you wrote: Don't bother with details like the belt buckle. On the tabletop, you won't really notice it, and it is really better if you concentrate on 2-3 colours on the whole model - the clothing, the armour, and maybe a color variation on the shoulder pads to mark out Teamleaders/different teams.

From a gaming perspective, before making any purchases in miniatures, I recommend getting a set of rules (either the AoBR set, which is just awesome (with the added benefit that you can trade away the Orks and the Marines), or the hardcover rulebook, as well as a Codex: Tau Empire), and reading through a couple of the stickies.

Welcome to the Boards,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2009, 22:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I think I fixed the link. Right now I'm just getting pieces that I think look good... I don't really know anyone I could play with (I live in Zurich). But right now I was thinking of getting: Battleforce, Hounds, Shaper, Rail-Pathfinders and a snipe team (I'm shipping in from the UK due to the price being half of what you would pay here). After doing some research I think I've found out that the paints aren't worth getting from Citadel so I was going to get them from Ral Partha (is it good?) or a local store here (paints weigh relatively more in terms of the price so I don't really save). Do you know of any other good paint brands if my store dosen't have Ral Partha? I was going to get Revell glues and other utensils since my friend (who makes airplanes + cars) recommended those. I'm not sure about the paintbrushes but I was going to get them here as well.

If one of the items I've selected doesn't fit in in any way let me know... I'm reading the 2005 codex which I found online right now and see that the snipers seem close to useless in a smaller, starting army such as mine. But if I'm going to get them at all I'd rather it be now since I save a couple pounds on shipping that way.

I think I'll change that white to a light wolves' grey (or as close as I can get). I might go all out and make it exactly like it is in the codex (great minds think alike I guess )

[hr]
Shel Silverstein
Old 28 Feb 2009, 22:31   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleven
I think I fixed the link. Right now I'm just getting pieces that I think look good... I don't really know anyone I could play with (I live in Zurich). But right now I was thinking of getting: Battleforce, Hounds, Shaper, Rail-Pathfinders and a snipe team (I'm shipping in from the UK due to the price being half of what you would pay here). After doing some research I think I've found out that the paints aren't worth getting from Citadel so I was going to get them from Ral Partha (is it good?) or a local store here (paints weigh relatively more in terms of the price so I don't really save). Do you know of any other good paint brands if my store dosen't have Ral Partha? I was going to get Revell glues and other utensils since my friend (who makes airplanes + cars) recommended those. I'm not sure about the paintbrushes but I was going to get them here as well.

If one of the items I've selected doesn't fit in in any way let me know... I'm reading the 2005 codex which I found online right now and see that the snipers seem close to useless in a smaller, starting army such as mine. But if I'm going to get them at all I'd rather it be now since I save a couple pounds on shipping that way.
Alright, thanks for fixing the link - the scheme looks awesome, but be warned - I tried something similar, and utterly failed - white is one of the most difficult colors to get right (but just ask on the painting board for better advice).

Battleforce is always a good start, and Kroot just rock with the new Edition. If you're planning on using lots of Hounds, I'd recommend replacements - the Chaos Dogs would make some nice Kroot hounds with some imagination and converting. Main advantage is of course the price tag. The Sniper Drones are... well, not very good, to be honest, at least in my opinion. Rail Rifles in Pathfinder teams are not that good, too, but since they look cool, one or two can be a nice and good addition to a team.

What I can heartily recommend are Hammerheads, Crisis Suits and Stealth Teams - they not only look awesome, but they pack quite a punch, too, and are usable at every game level.

Now, as regards paints: I can recommend Vallejo paints, but to be honest, I have no problems with GW paints, they're quite good, especially now with the foundation paints and the new inks.
I don't recommend Revell paints; they are not acrylics AFAIK, and are not really suitable for our hobby (if we're talking about those small tin-pot ones).
Brushes range from cheap to madly expensive; I'd suggest read up a few pointers on the painting baord; there ought to be a couple of pros there who can give you "leet" advice.

Cheers,
-Bone

PS: Zurich is just a great city; I've been there last August (August 1st, to be exact ... was quite the sight). Not really difficult to get there from Austria, though
Old 28 Feb 2009, 22:42   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks for your advice,

perhaps I'll discard the snipes and get a Hammerhead instead. What did you mean when you said chaos dogs (warhounds?)? I couldn't find them on the games-workshop site. Also, the GW paints seem to be twice as expensive as the Ral Partha ones. I wasn't considering the Revell paints, just the glues and other accesories (files etc...) and in terms of the brush, as long as the hairs don't fall out and stick to the miniature I don't really care.

[hr]
Shel Silverstein
Old 28 Feb 2009, 22:46   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/ca...tCatGameStyle=

Here we go - Chaos Dogs.

Alright, I'm off to bed - nearly 1 A.M.

Cheers,
-Bone
Old 28 Feb 2009, 22:52   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CmdrBonesaw
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/ca...tCatGameStyle=

Here we go - Chaos Dogs.

Alright, I'm off to bed - nearly 1 A.M.

Cheers,
-Bone
Yeah... same. Thanks for your help and good night.

[hr]
Shel Silverstein
Old 01 Mar 2009, 00:21   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Hiya!

Like yourself I have just started Tau as well(I have played necrons, but they bored me somewhat). The Tau battleforce is a great starter for the army. On top of the battleforce I have bought 2 fire warrior boxes. The actual fire warriors are the backbone of the army, and you can never have too many of them. For added firepower I personally suggest a team of crisis suits as opposed to utilising the Kroot auxilaries, this may be a personal choice however. But it all depends on what kind of tactics and warfare your going to use. A few extra devilfish would'nt hurt either. Im hoping to get a devilfish per squad of fire warriors. I wouldn't bother with the snipers either when you have units such as stealth teams
'He often dove deep into enemy trenches, unleashing pulse after pulse of fire upon the wretched Orks... it was believed it looked like the sun itself had become angered, and rained its fury upon all...' in turn this earned Kais Kauyon, his new name and role as Shas'O
Commander Sunfury is offline   Reply With Quote