Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

How do we fix Commander Shadow sun?
Old 28 Feb 2009, 04:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean
Default How do we fix Commander Shadow sun?

So everyone has a lot of different opinions on how to fix a lot of different things with the Tau but I dont really see too many people talking about how on Earth do we fix characters like Commander Shadowsun. I know everyone wants an XV-22 commander option but what about the original? We've got special characters in other books that have all sorts of crazy rules so I wanted to throw out my opinion what I think commander shadowsun should be and then in return get some opinions in response.

Commander Shadowsun - 140 Points

WS - 4 BS - 5 Str - 4 T - 3 W - 3 I - 4 A - 4 LD - 10 Sv 3+/4+

Standard Equipment - XV-22 battlesuit (Exactly as is in the current rulebook excluding weapons and shield drones), Bonding Knife and C&C Node drone.

Weapon Options: Commander Shadowsun can choose any 2 crisis battlesuit weapons at the price stated in the Tau Codex. She can choose 2 of the same weapon and they do not count as being twin linked but she does not pay the twinlinked price she pays the price for 2 of the particular weapon chosen.

Wargear Options: Commander Shadowsun has a hardwired drone controller and must choose 2 drones in any combination from the wargear list at the points cost stated. The Command and Control node drone is included in her base profile.

Special Rules:

If you choose Commander Shadowsun as your HQ then Stealth Suit units count as scoring.

C&C Node Drone - The C&C Node drone allows all models within 18" of Commander Shadowsun to re-roll any leadership test they are required to take. Additionally, they may use her leadership if they so choose.

Bodyguard - Shadowsun may choose an elite Shas'vre bodyguard. However, her bodyguard consists entirely of XV-22 battlesuit Shas'vre bodyguards. Additionally, She may take up to 3 bodyguards.

XV-22 Shas'vre Bodyguard - 60 Points

WS - 3 BS - 4 S - 4 T - 3 W - 2 I - 3 A - 2 Ld - 8 Sv - 3+/4+

Equipment: XV-22 Battlesuit (same equipment as shadowsun except for C&C Node Drone)

Weapons: Choose weapons in the same manner as Commander Shadowsun. They each may be armed differently or the same.

Wargear: They are equipped with a hardwired Drone Controller and must choose 1 or 2 drones in any configuration.

That was a long one. But frankly I think this would make an AWESOME commander shadowsun. She's got special rules that actually work for her and as a commander make the army better which are rules that she currently lacks in the existing codex.

After you've picked weapons and drones she ends up being a little more expensive than in the current book. This is the configuration I'd pick...

plasma fusion and 2 shield drones. That would end up being 202 points for just her but frankly I think it would be totally worth it. I definitely think that having her make Stealth suits scoring would be a huge advanatage. It would give Tau more versatility in choosing troops and scoring units and the option to be able to fire a plasma rifle at 1 unit and fire a fusion blaster at another would be incredible. I also think that she should be able to choose her own drones instead of being forced into 2 shield drones. I would still take 2 shield drones but if someone wanted to load her squad up with marker drones (which should be cheaper) then that would be an option. Lastly I think the XV-22 bodyguard would be amazing. This might be a lot to ask for because most other armies dont have customizable special characters. But since adaptability is a key feature of Tau Military tactics I think that commander shadowsun should be given options, instead of a set template of weapons that aren't versatile enough to benefit her. The changes to the Command & Control Node Drone would make her key to any Tau army that wants to control when it does and when it doesn't run. Tau currently have the worst leadership in the game, but Shadowsun could serve as a bulwark for the Tau gunline.

Anyway, tell me what you guy think. It seems a little over powered, but it's a wishlist of abilities that I'd love to see and frankly I think that for her points cost, stats and abilities she's right in line with the rest of the 5th edition armies (Orks, Daemons, Space Marines and all the Imperial Guard Rumors I've been reading).
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2009, 04:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Default Re: How do we fix Commander Shadow sun?

Hmm, maybe just give her two plasma rifles and the ability to count Stealths as scoring (and ditch the one useless drone for a shield drone or something).

That'd be enough to make me use her. :P

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2009, 04:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yeah, I guess... but I like th eidea of something a little different and somewhat more interesting. I think there isn't anything wrong with your idea though. However, I think keeping the XV-22 bodyguard would be appropriate... and awesome.
Old 28 Feb 2009, 05:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

I like shadowsun but I'm still gunna go with my juggernaut, 2+ save, FNP, two shield drones.... awesomness. but the ability to dual wield plasmas .... that's epic
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2009, 06:16   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I think the Bodyguards are a little to expensive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.
Charistoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2009, 06:38   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charistoph
I think the Bodyguards are a little to expensive...
Considering that they come with pretty much EVERY piece of wargear available to a battlesuit I figured they had to be a good deal more expensive than a standard stealth suit. I tried to compensate for this by giving them 2 wounds. I figured it would be reasonable. Especially considering they can effectively double their shooting by shooting each weapon at a seperate unit I figured their points cost wasn't unreasonable.
Old 28 Feb 2009, 13:33   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

It does sound very interesting. I would love to have our special characters actually be effective and useful. I have freinds with other armies and they swear by their special characters. It seems a waste to have 3 (in the codex since R'ymer is FW even though he sounds promising and one that I expect to try) that nobody uses (or rarely uses) Being new thats the first thing that I noticed was all the restirctions and the clear ineffectivity.

I think that the increased points cost is justified and helps offset some of the gains caused by them. The XV22 BG's are dead on too. It keeps with the theme of shadowsun. Also giving another scoring unit (although a slightly expensive one) would also help give some usefulness to her. I have yet to be keen on stealths, but this would certainly open some options and make me seriously look at them.

I don't know all the fluff but the special characters have always seemed a bit off and not useful.

BTW whats a juggernaut?

S.M.
Shadowmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2009, 14:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

@shadowmech

Thanks for the positive feedback on my suggestions here. I put a lot of thought into over the past week trying to flesh out what she should be and it's good to know that at least someone thinks it's a neat idea.

As far as the "juggernaut" is concerned that's a Shas'O or Shas'el with a shield generator, stim injector (feel no pain), Iridium armor (2+ armor save) and 2 shield drones. That's 5 or 6 wounds, 2+ armor, feel no pain and a 4+ invulnerable save. It makes your commander pretty damn tough to kill. However, he's not a particularly usefull leader in the army and he doesn't actually make your army better as a whole. He just sukcs up a lot of shots.
Old 28 Feb 2009, 14:23   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

I find Juggernauts usefule as a distraction, or alternatively if the enemy doesn't take the bait, a marine killer with a helios layout and HW MT. Or a transport hunter with TL missile pods.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Feb 2009, 15:31   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Jedibean,

Its easy to see a lot of thought and effort was put into it to tweak her some, yet not make her an uber character. Sorry I am not, nor ever will be a fan of oh lets make the most powerful thing for cheap even though it would be highly imbalanced. Afterall aren't we supposed to be playing for fun and relaxation?

As Shadowsun stands now she is pretty much useless. And this at a big points cost. The tweaks you suggest add some points cost, but 1. make it worth it, and 2. make the character useful without being too overpowering. Printed it off and read through it again and, at least from my perspective it achieves the purpose and goal.

I do especially like the customization of her somewhat. Again its at a cost. Maybe make a base cost, then additional cost if you want to customize. You cannot tell me that a commander wouldn't adjust their guns or gear for a specific mission. But the flexibility comes at a cost, but again with benefit. Again it seems a balanced step in the right direction that I wish we had with our other characters.

As much as I am warming to R'myer somewhat, the lack of customizing the loadout makes me hesitant. Farsight IMO should increase the strensgth and cqbness of his FW teams since they are obviously trained and chosen for CQB and we cannot take kroot.

Ok sorry for the wabbit trail, I would love to see this tested in a game and the results. Is it an improvement yet not too far over the top? My initial thoughts are yes, but it would take some testing.

S.M.
Shadowmech is offline   Reply With Quote