Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Isolating a Dream
Old 27 Feb 2009, 00:24   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Isolating a Dream

With so many people talking about possible rule futures I thought it might be interesting to ask- where will the Tau go fluff wise?

We have- the defeat at medusa

Aun'shi looking for O'shova

A massive Ork armada and waagh trouncing Enclavite space

A Third Sphere border with an Imperium that is falling apart at the seams (additionally it looks like the Space marines are taking over direct control of ever more systems as Terra loses their own hold- which means Xenophobia in the extreme)

The Hive fleets are basically dead in the region- as are the Necrons if Medusa was any indication while there are tonnes of angry Eldar and Imperial forces clambering over eachother.

Where could things go? At least- to keep it interesting...
Old 27 Feb 2009, 00:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to xShaperx
Default Re: Isolating a Dream

Well it's my hope that Aun'Va dies. Callidus assassin or something.

Shadowsun is a tool and should be killed off as well. Farsight and Aun'Shi should be expanded upon. We should get a Kroot special character as well as about 5 new other ones (like a tank commander, etc).

But yeah, as for fluff? Tau are pretty straightforward in their Dynamic Expansion, and even if worlds are held by Space Marines, there ARENT enough to defend them. Without the Imperial Navy backing them up, the Space Marines can't hold ground or fight large scale engagements.

Tyranids can ALWAYS pop up out of nowhere, as can Eldar or Dark Eldar...or Necron....so really, we can expect ourselves to land in the middle of a major conflict on multiple fronts with little to no warning, fairly easily.

One thing I -really- hope they change is O'shovah's suspected Necron influence. I don't want to play as a tool of some other army, let me play Tau not Taucrontyr ffs.

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
xShaperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2009, 00:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I would love to see a new Kroot special Character.
Also, some more fluff on the expansion either during the third sphere or after it, ya know? Enable more fluff stories to be written about and on different/new planets.
Also some news of O'shovah would be nice and the falling off of shadowsun too. Maybe R'myr accepted in? or just a new Battlesuit commander character would also make me happy.
Old 27 Feb 2009, 01:15   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

as far as oshavah would be nice to see his FW's reflect the increased skill and emphasis on CQB and more armor, ws for those fw's in his group. Especially since thats been his focus and being new to it seemed a bit lacking and underhanded to see so many restraints with his armies.

R'ymer accepted woudl be wonderful, or a character like him.

And kroot kroot kroot ;D

S.M.
Shadowmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2009, 09:58   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Knarloc's and Knarloc Riders plus an expansion on their part.

Acouple of new commanders and infiltrate for the Pathfinders.

Roland
Old 27 Feb 2009, 10:15   #6 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmsword
Aun'shi looking for O'shova

A massive Ork armada and waagh trouncing Enclavite space
This might be one of the main fluff pieces when the Tau actually gets an update. It can go both ways; 1. Farsight really is a renegade and fight for his own idea of the Tau'va and fight both the Orks and Aun'shi's own forces or 2. Farsight has seen the light and fight besides Aun'shi. Either way it will be a major fight for the Tau as the Orks has found a way to get a good fight out of the Tau. This might be the Tau equivalent of Armageddon. Which is pretty needed by the Tau e.g. a major conflict.

Quote:
A Third Sphere border with an Imperium that is falling apart at the seams (additionally it looks like the Space marines are taking over direct control of ever more systems as Terra loses their own hold- which means Xenophobia in the extreme)
Somewhat a stalemate of sorts. The Ultramarines will have to take more direct control over the Eastern Fringes with the help of other Space Marine Chapters, of course. Maybe an expansion of the Empire of Ultramar. Also, in the Space Marine Codex gives hints that there might be something else the Imperials (those in the Eastern Fringes, at least) have something more to worry about than Tau incursions. Might be a good setting for sort of Imperial-Tau Alliance sanctioned by the Ultramarines, of course. They couldn't care less what some old coot thinks some few hundred light years away while there's a massive threat to be rid of.

Quote:
The Hive fleets are basically dead in the region- as are the Necrons if Medusa was any indication while there are tonnes of angry Eldar and Imperial forces clambering over eachother.
Hmmm.....maybe a Genestealer Infiltration. I haven't heard anything of the sorts yet. It could make things interesting for the Tau.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2009, 11:56   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Wild

Actually, its quite known that Marines and Tau have to worry about the Tyranids, both sides working together against them.
Old 27 Feb 2009, 12:16   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

this isn't about units or rules you want to see- its about fluff (stories?) there are other posts for that.

ahem-so!

To begin with we still know absolutely nothing about O'shova and what he could be influenced by- nothing, period. That GW article was a gamers take on what HE thinks.

However- I agree, something needs to happen with O'shova or you'll get people just becoming disinterested. It would be nice to see him and Shassera have that clash of ideals, i'm not talking civil war or anything *that wouldn't make sense) but it would be great if we could see the Tau society take on a more dynamic role.
-Remember that Tau don't even understand the societal ability for another Tau to kill a Tau- please hold that in your head. A 'fight' between two ideals would be truly interesting since it would be a war of words.

Aun'va needs to be dropped- it would be like fielding a High lord of Terra- it's just dumb.

R'myr would be nice- but does anyone remember the number one Commander from Medusa? Fireblade- that would be sweet.

As for the Ultramarines- the idea of an Imperial/Tau alliance is interesting. I think that what actually might happen is a still pro-Emperor faction of Imperial worlds will be forced to cease-fire with the aliens, but remember that the Space Marines are still xenophobic- (however the Ultramarines have been known to turn a blind eye- might be interesting.)

Tyranids: Hrm. The tendril fleets attacking were taken care of by Shadowsun- so the threat from the first codex is gone- still tyranids of course- but the original threat is gone.
Old 27 Feb 2009, 13:44   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Commander Farsight

If O'shova turns out to be an evil character, I hope that it's due to him just always being a right evil prick rather than some form of overt corruption or possession originating from the Dawn Blade. I just think that should the codex contain a evil Tau character then it should be because if given the opportunity Tau can be evil rather than yet another cursed macguffin of sudden alignment change.

Just ask yourself..

Does WH40K really need yet another cursed weapon? Because as it stands, I'd be giving even my cutlery drawer a wide birth just in case the butter knife makes me murder the left handed members of my extended family, the neighbors in odd numbers houses on my street and then finishes by using me to assassinate the planetary lord governor.

As for the Orks bothering Enclave space, naturally they've got to be crushed mercilessly but not before the Kaptain gets his great white manta. The Moby Dick reference made me chuckle.

Shadowsun.

While I don't mind Shadowsun as she stands as a plot device in opposition to the rebellious O'shova but the miniature definitely needs to be recast with something other than twin fusion blasters to go along with a completely new set of game mechanics.

General stuff.

I'd like GW to flesh out an example of a well-established Sept world that comes complete with a overview of the surrounding planetary system and how the Tau military generally responds to various scales of armed incursions from minor raids to full-scale invasions.

"Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..." ~ Terry Pratchett
ParadoxRifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 Feb 2009, 15:06   #10 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Quote:
To begin with we still know absolutely nothing about O'shova and what he could be influenced by- nothing, period. That GW article was a gamers take on what HE thinks.
I see, I see. But the War of Dakka put Farsight as a.....how do I say this......overly-aggressive even for a Tau Commander. But I guess that leaves plenty of room for fluff development.

Quote:
However- I agree, something needs to happen with O'shova or you'll get people just becoming disinterested. It would be nice to see him and Shassera have that clash of ideals, i'm not talking civil war or anything *that wouldn't make sense) but it would be great if we could see the Tau society take on a more dynamic role.
-Remember that Tau don't even understand the societal ability for another Tau to kill a Tau- please hold that in your head. A 'fight' between two ideals would be truly interesting since it would be a war of words.
You realized this is 40K right? Nobody fight with words but with steel and lead or plasma energy in the Tau's case. Maybe a split within the Tau Empire but united for their own survival.

Quote:
As for the Ultramarines- the idea of an Imperial/Tau alliance is interesting. I think that what actually might happen is a still pro-Emperor faction of Imperial worlds will be forced to cease-fire with the aliens, but remember that the Space Marines are still xenophobic- (however the Ultramarines have been known to turn a blind eye- might be interesting.)
Don't worry. They will be fighting again once the threat is over.

Quote:
Tyranids: Hrm. The tendril fleets attacking were taken care of by Shadowsun- so the threat from the first codex is gone- still tyranids of course- but the original threat is gone.
A little too easy don't you think? Maybe it was just a distraction so the Tyranids can get an Infiltration Vanguard force onto several Sept worlds. Tyranids are quite sneaky.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote