Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

What's your most incredible act of impossibility?
Old 26 Feb 2009, 05:18   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default What's your most incredible act of impossibility?

With all the Tau's weaknesses, it seems that in the face of a specialized close combat unit, anything Tau will very likely get chopped up into little bits. Sometimes however - just sometimes - they will manage to pull something miraculous out their butts and come through in a clinch! Or maybe your fire warriors open up on a squad of termies and somehow decimate them, or maybe even make them run home to mommy!

What's your tale of impossibility made real?

I'll start with mine:

I was playing my brother's Chaos Marines in the 2-objective fight and things weren't going very well. It was the top of turn 5 and I was in danger of being overrun. Near my objective, one squad of fire warriors was engaged in CC with 4 Possessed Marines for 2 whole turns! The previous turns of fighting had been a pansy fight with neither side inflicting a single wound! I moved an empty devil fish up to the squad of marines defending his objective and shot ineffectually. The squad protecting my objective began rapid-firing a squad of approaching Raptors. A couple went down but not enough to force a Ld test. That CC round, the possessed finally started inflicting casualties but my warriors held firm.

At the bottom of 5, his defending marines moved up away from his objective and meltagunned my vehicle to death. His raptors assaulted, but caused only 2 casualties (photon grenades really do work!) and my warriors held firm on Ld6. The same with the possessed fight - 2 casualties... held firm.

The roll for turn 6 failed and the game was over. Somehow, 1 fire warrior in the raptor fight was still within 3" of the objective. I had won. If either squad had broken it would've been a different ending.
Old 26 Feb 2009, 06:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean
Default Re: What's your most incredible act of impossibility?

I keep telling people of the tail of my Fire Warriors mauling a squad of chaos terminators in close combat. This was back in 4th edition when any unit was scoring and my fire warriors were trying desperately to get a squad of terminators off of the single objective in this game. So I moved up, rapid fired and failed to cause a single wound on the entire unit. It was pretty terrible. So he, reasonably, decided to remove the threat by charging my fire warriors in close combat and remove them from the table. He'd armed his entire unit with powerfists so he was attacking at initiative 1. My fire warriors with team leader attacked first. I got 13 attacks and managed to land about 7 of them hitting. Not too unusual. When I rolled to wound I got about 5 wounds. VERY UNUSUAL. When he rolled his 2+ armor save he failed 3 of them! Unheard of! So I killed 3 out of his 5 chaos terminators before he got a chance to attack, managed to do 2 things for me.

1) It made the unit no longer a scoring unit. (In 4th edition all units were scoring but no longer count as scoring if they were under half.)

and...

2) I got half victory points for the unit because they were reduced to under half. And half of the chaos terminators victory points pretty much broke me even with the squad of fire warriors I lost.

It was pretty crazy, but I enjoyed it.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2009, 06:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

I killed Abaddon with a shield drone the other week.

When playing friendly games I will do stupid and downright suicidal things to make the game seem more "epic" (or to just look cool on the obituary).

Anyways, Abby was already down to his last wound. All I had left was my HQ unit (Helios Shas'el with one Helios bodyguard and one shield drone left. They had taken some casualties earlier). So Abby goes first, with that macho Initiative of his, twirling his pretty little sword above his head before bringing it down on his foot. Yes, he rolled a 1 and then made his invulnerable save anyways.
For laughs I send the drone out to attack first. It hits once (well odds were okay there). Then, funnily enough, it wounds! ("Weird", I'm thinking)

My buddy picks up the die, rolls it once or twice between his hands and gives it a final spin as he launches into the air. It spins for maybe a second or two before hitting a piece of terrain and stopping... on the 1 side.

I was laughing like crazy when my buddy sent that die flying through the air after that (throwing the "cursed" die away).

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2009, 07:05   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

squad of 8 pathfinders wiped out a squad of terminators after charging.
Old 26 Feb 2009, 07:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

4 human auxilliaries ran down a 8 man necronwarrior squad.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2009, 08:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

My friends avoid getting into Close Combat with the infamous Devilfish gundrones. Seriously. You don't mess with those guys. They've killed far too many HQs for their own good. And a surprising number of vehicles.
Old 26 Feb 2009, 10:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
I killed Abaddon with a shield drone the other week...
That beats the lot ;D

My best was 9 or so firewarriors beating about 8 space marines in close combat (my first ever tournament game). :P

[I do not wish this account to be deleted, but I will no longer be posting much]

03/Feb/13
FrisbeeForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2009, 10:26   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

A single Crisis suit surviving attacks and not taking a single wound from 42 gaunts, and almost wounding one to win close combat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emlyn
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT
They're an insane bunch of reptiles...
I wasn't asking about the moderating staff.
crisis_vyper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2009, 10:28   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

A 200 point plus flyrant attacked an eight man firewarrior squad, killing nothing.
In a flurry of riflebutts previously unseen in the world it was killed outright.
Then in the next game the same flyrant was killed by the same firewarriors in melee.
Korill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2009, 10:37   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Circus Freak

A Space Marine Commander with power sword (only a 500pt game) taking four turns to kill a Crisis suit, and when he did getting vaporised by my Shas'el.
Crikey! This crazy clown causes commotion like the coming of Christ. Contained in a circle corrupted by crackheads and carnal cravings, he creates no concession to callous cheaters concentrating on nought but cock. Certainly, still a curious and cordial cavalier in the countenance of crazed cads, curs and creeps who condemn courtesy as something corny. No cloud could collapse his crushing crescendo of comical crowing and crimson coiffure. This conjecture on culture comes circumlocutive, consequently...

You may call me Circus.
Circus Freak is offline   Reply With Quote