Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Shas'O V Terminators?
Old 26 Feb 2009, 01:07   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun
Default Shas'O V Terminators?

Sorry i know this is like the third thread in like three days I've posted but I'm trying to get ready for a tournament. My question is this: am I reading the rules wrong cause it seems like a shas'O with iridum armor and two shield drones, can hold his own against terminators in CC? is this even true? Am I missing something?
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2009, 01:17   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Shas'O V Terminators?

Most definitely not. Those two 4+ invulnerable saves and the 2+ armor save won't save him from lightning claws, and most definitely not thunder hammers or powerfists which, once they manage to wound the Shas'o, will instantly kill him. And with the 5th ed rules regarding hit distribution, they don't even need to kill the drones to get to the Shas'o. Definitely don't attempt to take on Terminators in CC with your Shas'o, unless you want it to die.
Lying in a featherbed will bring you no fame, nor staying beneath the quilt, and he who uses up his life without achieving fame leaves no more vestige of himself on Earth than smoke in the air or foam upon the water. ~Dante Alighieri

W L D
Tau 3 1 1
Space Marines 5 0 1
Tyranids 1 0 0
Dark Eldar 2 0 0
Pianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2009, 01:20   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

A shas'o will not win close combat agaisnt terminators. He may lock them up for a while, but he wont win. the problem is that you dont want to lock terminators in close combat because in terms of points you'll be on the losing end. Why would you even worry about trying to lock them up when you can just shoot them? Plasma/fusion shas'0 will wipe them off the board.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2009, 01:21   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yeah you definitely don't want to go into CC with a termy, they can take every punch you give him but you won't be able to last very long against his punches. But you'll most definitely win in a shootout contest hands down.
MentosMkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2009, 01:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montiablo
Most definitely not. Those two 4+ invulnerable saves and the 2+ armor save won't save him from lightning claws, and most definitely not thunder hammers or powerfists which, once they manage to wound the Shas'o, will instantly kill him. And with the 5th ed rules regarding hit distribution, they don't even need to kill the drones to get to the Shas'o. Definitely don't attempt to take on Terminators in CC with your Shas'o, unless you want it to die.
There is potential confusion here. Its not that I think Montiablo doesn't know the rules, but I think it best clarified...

The Shas'o is not distinguishable from his drones in CC - the Shas'o and drones are considered a separate unit from anyone they're attached too, but wounds can be distributed as the defending player wishes, following the normal rules of at least 1 wound per model before adding a second to another, etc.

All you need to kill the Shas'o is to cause 1 more wound than there are Shield Drones that cause instant-death. When even 2 Terminators with Power Fists or Thunder hammers attack, that's fairly likely to happen, and a 2+ save is no better than a 3+ save against power weapons (which all Terminator weapons are).

I'd guess that a Shas'o with Shield Generator and 2 Shield Drones MIGHT survive close combat for a single round against 3-4 terminators, but its unlikely. More than that, and its extremely unlikely. 1-2 terminators, even on a charge, might be slightly more survivable for 1 round.
Old 26 Feb 2009, 01:29   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

but a shas'o is better in every way, and even has twice the attacks, and a PR to pommel the unit for before he gets within striking range to bring them down to 1-2 (termies are 0-5 right?)
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Old 26 Feb 2009, 01:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tausand sun
but a shas'o is better in every way, and even has twice the attacks
Does a Shas'o have a power weapon? Is a Shas'o immune to Instant-Death?

The answer to both is a definite "no". A single squad of 5 terminators on the charge will have 15 attacks, hitting on 4+. Depending on the setup, that can be a mix of regular power attacks that strike at initiative and wound on 4+s (sometimes allowing rerolls) and Strength 8 power attacks that strike at initiative 1.

If even a single str 8 power attack wound is placed on your Shas'o, it is instantly killed. If your drones weren't dead anyway, they die as well.

At best, you MIGHT take 1 of 'em out before you go, if they fail an unlucky armor save.

Space Marine termies come 5-10 (with possibly 1 or 2 ICs attached as well). Some can have a 3+ invulnerable save, too.
Old 26 Feb 2009, 01:49   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unusualsuspect
Space Marine termies come 5-10 (with possibly 1 or 2 ICs attached as well). Some can have a 3+ invulnerable save, too.
I still cannot for the life of me see how 5-10 terminators in a squad is balanced, maybe i haven't used them too much, or not fighting them enough, i don't know. One they are suppose to be "rare" and two they are already hard enough to kill with 5 of them. I suppose points balance them out?...i still don't think so. :-\

Off topic i know, sorry.
MentosMkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2009, 01:58   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Its not that uncommon in the games I play to see 6 terminators (5 regular, 1 librarian) deepstrike in to cause some havok.

Though they commonly do, it isn't uncommon for the entire squad to be wiped the next turn. They're tough, but not THAT tough...
Old 26 Feb 2009, 02:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

True but 1 possibly 2 termies against 1 shas'O, and the shas'O wins. wait CC works differently than shooting, ........ you can't get 3 wounds needed to have a 50% chance of a failed save.