Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Flamer Drone
Old 25 Feb 2009, 02:25   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Flamer Drone

So, I was poking around the main site, and came up on a page about flamer drones. I just made one using a bit of poster putty, and it looks pretty awesome. Problem is, would this be usable in games? What would I be looking at points-wise?
Foxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2009, 02:36   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun
Default Re: Flamer Drone

only as useable as any homebrewed mod, but i'd say 10-14. The normal drones are xx and flamers are x points a pop. Granted, somethings are just aren't easily ruled. Logically flamers drones would just be the base -twin puls Car. price + TL flamer price.... but TL flamers.... on drones.... way too unbalance. spam these things, grab some broadsides and nothing will stand before the might of the tau army. Far too cheesy... but then again maybe it's time for us to be cheese.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2009, 02:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Nah, I'm just planning on making a single one. And if TL would be too much, I can take the second one off, but it does look pretty cool with two.
Old 25 Feb 2009, 02:41   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

any pics it sounds amazing?
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2009, 02:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Really simple, and held together with poster putty.

Old 25 Feb 2009, 08:59   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

That looks really good, really nice conversion.
I think twin linked flamers would be justified on a heavy gun drone. I don't think though that it would be ok on a single gun drone. In real life could the fuel and the flamethrowers be too heavy for a basic drone? Nice work anyways.

I think in general all the battlesuit weapons are justified as twin linked on a heavy gun drone. A single flamer on a regular gun drone I think is good, and more useful than say a plasma rifle on a gun drone. It seems very fluffy, especially for cityfight games. I don't think a plasma rifle drone or a missile pod drone would have the same kind of niche role. A fusion blaster drone i think would also be pretty good.

That's probably a good way of making use of stealthed sniper drones. Give them flamers or fusion blasters instead of rail rifles to go on seek-and-destroy missions, controlled by the spotter. (sorry going off-topic there)
LordCalsius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2009, 15:45   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

For price if you subtract the difference between twin burst and twin flamer from a heavy drone you get 19 points so 19-20 would be my guess on the value of a flamer drone points wise.

Also if you followed the heavy drone set up then you could only get them as squads so you wouldn't be able too put a pair of them on a deepstriking twin fusion target lock suit. Of coarse since it is a homemade figure you could put them in a suit unit anyway.

It would be usable in friendly games if your opponent gave you the go ahead to use it but it wouldn't work for any kind of tournament.
Old 25 Feb 2009, 15:57   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogsley
For price if you subtract the difference between twin burst and twin flamer from a heavy drone you get 19 points so 19-20 would be my guess on the value of a flamer drone points wise.

Also if you followed the heavy drone set up then you could only get them as squads so you wouldn't be able too put a pair of them on a deepstriking twin fusion target lock suit. Of coarse since it is a homemade figure you could put them in a suit unit anyway.

It would be usable in friendly games if your opponent gave you the go ahead to use it but it wouldn't work for any kind of tournament.
That's a much better price, especially since flamers get around the BS2 weakness of drones.

Seventh Sanctum signature oddities.
Alignment: Neutral Pessimistic
Area of Magical Study: Practical Chronomancy
Favorite Spells: Divine Spell of the Cotton Candy Golem and Field of Bacon.

Proud supporter of Joe Wood!

Makes this your one good deed a day.
http://www.thehungersite.com/
enderwiggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 Feb 2009, 16:16   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Drool..... Nice conversion!
If only we could actualy get something like these. :'(

Thirty Seconds to Mars - Kings and Queens; Theme song of the Gue'vesa.
Fate13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 Feb 2009, 14:06   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Thanks for the comments. I'll post some more pictures when I get it cleaned up some more and finished. And I think I'll field it as about 20 points, mainly because I like nice round numbers.