Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

pathfinders are they worth it?
Old 24 Feb 2009, 11:36   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun
Default pathfinders are they worth it?

with very few FW's and your suits are TL is it econoical to take the pathfinders?
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2009, 12:19   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: pathfinders are they worth it?

It depends on the size of the game.

1000 point and less, not really. Otherwise yes.

Pathfinder is yuor primary source of markerlight, a must for Tau in 5th ed game...more so then in 4th. They are a bit mre expensive then fire warriors granted but, with an average of 4 marker token per turn (for a full sqaud), it is truly worth it.

As for their 'fish. It was a big sinkpoint in 4th ed, not so in 5th ed. Simply becasue of the new transport rules. You pimp up the 'fish and your Fire Warrior uses it for FOF insteado f your pathfinder...plus it'"s the only 'fish that helps with deepstrike.

So yes they are worth it.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2009, 15:58   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yeah, Pathfinders are extremely helpful with the latest Markerlight rules. Add in seekers, that crucial railgun shots to take down that Land Raider, and suits, it's a unit that no one should really go without. And yes, that floating Devilfish is a nice use of points (Though I wish it weren't still mandatory).
Vyrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2009, 21:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yes and no - It depends on your lists and how you use Pathfinders. I make no bones about it - I hated Pathfinders in 4th, they were expensive, saddled with a totally useless Devilfish, and did not really fit in with the rest of the lists I used, on top of that they were incredibly brittle!

5th Edition has changed things slightly, and has indeed made them a much more useful and versatile unit - as Bone points out the transport is now no longer a points drain because you can pass it on to another unit. This makes them an affordable Markerlight option, and a Markerlight is now pretty useful in 5th (removing cover saves etc).

Are they worth it? Well it depends....do you use Seeker Missiles? Lots of low AP weaponry that would be negated by coversaves? Big units of Fire Warriors that you can boost the chance of hitting with? Lots of pinning weapons, gun drones, carbines, your Markerlights can lower the leadership of? - Then yes - Pathfinders are worth it!

Personally - I dont use them - Or at least not for any of those purposes! I tend to play lists with minimal Fire Warriors (and what ones I do have come in there own Warfish), I play lots of Kroot (cant use Markerlights), I prefer (in 5th) High ROF weaponry to Low Ap Weaponry - so wether a Marine is in cover or not he is still going to get his 3+ save. I hardly ever use Seeker Missiles (only time I do really is if I use a Skyray) - but that has its own Markerlights. And most of my Suits will have TL weapons or Target Arrays - so the bonus BS is not really required. I also hardly ever use Carbines unless I take Gundrones - if they Pin its a bonus - But I dont rely on it!

So for me Pathfinders really aren't worth it! - Apart from one thing - If I pay 48 Pts for 4 basic Pathfinders - I get the one thing I really really want - There Devilfish - If I pay 25 - 40 Pts more I turn it into a Warfish - Then I have an Outflanking Warfish to give my Kroot Armoured Support (If the Pathfinders are inside the Fish it can Outflank with the Scout ability). - Now Thats Worth it! As an added Bonus your Outflanking Devilfish also lets your Deepstrikers Reroll the scatter dice (if its on the table and has LOS) - Thats Worth it! Go Go Pathfinder Warfish!

So it depends on your list and your plan really They can be very very good - or they can be totally superfluous! - They are not necessary to create a competive list, but they can help the right kind of list considerably.
Old 24 Feb 2009, 22:22   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

well as much as i respect your home brewed ninja tau (prolly going to suck it up and buy the units I need to make my own one day) I prefer my mounted blitz. Lots of low ap weaponry, tanks, tanks tanks and more tank (in the form of DF) and broadsides for long range support. And most of my suits are TL'ed to ensure terminator deaths. my FW's in anything less than 1750pt games are in squads of 6 in their fish, never touching ground untill the fish dies or the fish has to stop for extended periods and the extra pulse shots are needed. The only thing i'm worried about is needing to remove cover saves....
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2009, 22:44   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Oh yes - Thats just the purpose I personally use Pathfinders for! But as I say above, they can fit into a list and help it in many different ways. The thing to do is look at your list and units and see how they can help you. If they can enhance/help the list you have put together - they can help you and they are worth it, If they dont fit into the list you have picked and make no real difference to the majority of your units - They arent worth it!

It just depends on your style of play and the list you use

So look at your Blitz List and see where they can help. - You have lots of Tanks and Low Ap Weaponry - so they really could help you by removing cover saves etc. They could be a valuable part of your defence team and help your attacking team at the same time - so for that particular list - They could be worth it (But as Bone says, probably only at +1000 Points).