Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Stealthsuit Weapon Sprue - if only...
Old 23 Feb 2009, 18:17   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Stealthsuit Weapon Sprue - if only...

I was thinking about the XV25 box set. The stealthsuits are pretty cool but as a unit, it's not as useful as it could/should be, imho. I obviously don't know if GW designers read these forums or if they'd care even if they did. However, 1 single extra sprue could still fit in the box and instantly make the boxed set (and stealth teams) more useful.

Said sprue should have:
  • 3x Rail Rifles - Ditch the Sniper Drone Team - make sniper stealth team*
  • 3x Flamers - Great against tyranid hordes
  • 2x Fusion blasters**
  • 2x Target locks (like the present one)
  • 2x Drone controllers (like the present one)
  • 3x Targeting array - designed in such as a way as to attach to target lock or stand alone*
  • 1x Handheld markerlight - attaches to left hand
  • 1x additional maker drone - if there's space left

* Snipers in real life generally move after they shoot - they don't stick around to be found and killed. The current infantry sniper drone team is just too static and get creamed quickly. Stealthsuits can jump away after shooting. The XV25 Stealth Sniper Team should be a Heavy Support choice enabling you to take 1-3 teams as a single Heavy Support choice (like the current sniper drone team).

A team should be about 100 pts and consist of:
3 Stealthsuits - each with XV25 stealth armour, a rail rifle, sniper targeting array (combi target lock and targeting array using the parts above)
Options for team leader: bonding knife, hard-wired drone controller, hard-wired multi tracker, markerlight.

** To make the stealth teams more useful here are some additions: The normal (elite choice) stealthsuit teams should be modified to allow:
  • Any number of models to upgrade to fusion blasters (nothing strange here - there are such things as eldar fire dragons after all).
  • Any number of models to replace burst cannon with flamer for free.
  • Additonal wargear for team leader: deep striking homing beacon +20 points (we already have a piece on the current sprue for this).

The homing beacon is a single use item that is activated and dropped on the ground. This enables deep striking units to land on that spot without deviation. Arriving deep strikers are arranged around the beacon as if it were the first model. When the deep strikers move off, the beacon stays put for any future deep striking teams (or if that's too cheesy, simply remove the beacon once 1 deep striking team arrives).

What do you guys think?
Old 23 Feb 2009, 18:42   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to xShaperx
Default Re: Stealthsuit Weapon Sprue - if only...

Be my new god? Please?

Seriously I've been thinking about this for a while, XV's using Rail Rifles to replace our sniper teams, I just really havent been able to put it to rules. I'll playtest these for you immediatly >.> lol

Shas'ui Kel'shan Mont'au Mal'caor: The Terror Spider of Kel'shan

www.myspace.com/nathanhotdog
xShaperx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2009, 18:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Ok, some of these I could see, Rail rifle, another markerlight drone so I do not have to buy from a bit vendor! I don't use the TL or DC much on my stealths, but I can see the use.

Why the flamer? The best part of the stealth suit is that they are not seen effectively at what? 24 inches? At point blank range, there is little use for my stealth field. Why not use a twin linked flamer and crisis suit if I am gungho about a flamer. I have one sacrifical Twin flamer suit for those times I just want to burn something down. You can not twin link a stealth suit.

For that matter, I only use one Fusion blaster on my stealth suits, ever. It's just in case I totally screw up and a vechile gets too close to my stealths and I need to kill it. Fusions are effective at 6 inches, shootable at 12. Again, a crisis suit would be better off DSing near a vechile and killing it at point blank range with a twin linked Fusion blaster.

You might be able to claim that the stealths are less point (I do not know the costs of either)

No. What I am saying is that my Air Support has lots of Ground Cadre.

If a Land Raider dies to a rail gun, and no one was around to see it, does the kill point still exist?
ranzin927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2009, 19:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to LiinSivi Send a message via Yahoo to LiinSivi

Stealths are in fact more expensive baseline then crisis suits. They do however get the burst cannon for "free". I really like the idea of being able to give stealths either sniper drones and/or railrifles. Stealths are already the "lone wolves" of any Tau army, much like actual snipers who usually setup independent of the main front. Flamers seem quite out of character for Stealths, I'm hard pressed to give them a fusion blaster as is.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his" --George S. Patton
LiinSivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2009, 19:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I give this a plus. Even the flamers, because the stealth still lets them get in relatively close before burnination.
Vyrion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2009, 19:35   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

you're not asking for anything unreasonable here. it all actually sounds really cool. Personally I think that stealth teams should be moved to fast attack. which is not that big of a deal because I think pathfinders should be moved to troops. but that's a whole othe topic.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2009, 20:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
you're not asking for anything unreasonable here. it all actually sounds really cool. Personally I think that stealth teams should be moved to fast attack. which is not that big of a deal because I think pathfinders should be moved to troops. but that's a whole othe topic.
yeah well, it is screwy to have pathfinders in fast attack when they all have heavy weapons.
Old 23 Feb 2009, 21:30   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to LiinSivi Send a message via Yahoo to LiinSivi

The only thing "fast" about Pathfinders to warrant being fast attack is their Devilfish... oh ya, those aren't "fast" either and I just gave it to my Firewarriors. Pathfinders should be a troop upgrade for Firewarriors with a max of say 4 added to a Firewarrior squad.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his" --George S. Patton
LiinSivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2009, 00:23   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liinsivi
The only thing "fast" about Pathfinders to warrant being fast attack is their Devilfish... oh ya, those aren't "fast" either and I just gave it to my Firewarriors. Pathfinders should be a troop upgrade for Firewarriors with a max of say 4 added to a Firewarrior squad.
I think they should just shift them from fast attack to troops and drop the mandatory devilfish. Give them a couple of upgrades, including the ability to take a stealthfield generator for the squad and they'd be awesome. There's a few other changes that I'd recommend for pathfinders but again this isn't the place for that discussion.

As far as stealth sniper teams are concerned I think stealth suits with rail rifles would be amazing. Just completely replace the current sniper team with the stealth sniper team as was said before and give the option to take them as a single heavy support choice but you can take up to 3 squads as 1 choice. Each squad would consist of 3 stealth suits with rail rifles and 1 marker drone. That would be killer.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 Feb 2009, 00:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

What we need is not more choices for the jump infantry, but a troop choice that can actually take a beating. I proposed quiet a while back a heavier troop option. I think it was T3, 3+ save like a stealth suit, but regular infantry and no stealth field. Weapon was a burst cannon, or up to half the squad could replace the burst cannon with a rail rifle. Nobody liked it much, but it was back in 4th edition where the squishiness of our troops wasn't as big of a problem.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote