Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Battle Report - Tau v Orks - 1000 Points
Old 23 Feb 2009, 00:31   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Battle Report - Tau v Orks - 1000 Points

There are a couple of caveats for this report as I can't remember all the details and I don't have pics as I haven't gotten them from my friend yet, but it was a pretty exciting game, and my first win in a long time, so I wanted to share.

Here are the 2 lists:

Tau - 1005 Points (me)
HQ
Commander Shas'El - AFP, BC, Targeting Array, HW Multi-Tracker

Elites
Crisis Team (2 suits) - TL Flamers, BC's, HW Multi-Trackers
Solo Suit - TL Flamer, Missile Pod, HW Multi-tracker
Solo Suit - TL Flamer, Missile Pod, HW Multi-tracker

Troops
FW Squad (11) - DF w/BC and Gun Drones, Flechette Discharger
FW Squad (11) - DF w/BC and Gun Drones, Flechette Discharger
Kroot (12)
Kroot (12)

heavy Support
Railhead, BC's, Flechette Discharger

Ork List - 1008 points
HQ
Warboss w/slugga, PK, Stikkbombz

Troops
Boyz Mob (12) - slugga, choppas, Nob w/PK, bosspole, slugga, Trukk w/big shoota, grot riggers
Boyz Mob (11) - slugga, choppas, Nob w/PK, bosspole, slugga, Trukk w/big shoota, grot riggers
Boyz Mob (20) - slugga, choppas, 1 BS, 1 RL, Nob w/choppa, slugga and bosspole
Boyz Mob (20) - slugga, choppas, 2 BS, Nob w/choppa, slugga and bosspole

Fast Attack
3 Deffcoptas - 2 TL BS's, 1 KMB
4 Warbikes

Heavy Support
Looted Wagon - Boomgun, 'ard case, grot riggers

Ok, I'll do my best to try to remember how things went.

My opponent won the first turn, so he chose his side and setup. On my far right, he had his two trukks, with the looted wagon in between the trukks. Towards the middle of the board he had a mob of 20 boyz, and a little bit behind them to my left was his other mob of footsloggaz. On my far left he had his warbikes, and the deffcoptas were a little towards the middle.

For my setup, I put the Hammerhead on the far left, facing the warbikes, with the commander behind it for cover. Next to him were 2 battlesuits (TL Flamers and Burst Cannons). In the middle I set a unit of Kroot. There was about a 3-4 inch gap between a ruin and a crater where the kroot were cheezin. I put the 2 devilfishes pretty much in the middle of my deployment zone behind the crater mentioned earlier. On my right, I had 2 other battlesuits (TL Flamer, missile launcher) on top of a bunker, but with some cover thanks to the fortifications on the roof. I infiltrated the 2nd Kroot squad in front of the ruin on my left. A factory was in between them and the orks.

The Ork's Deffcoptas moved out just inches from the infiltrated kroot in their scout move. On his first turn everything moved up. The warbikes came up to take on the infiltrated kroot. Nothing spectacular happend, a couple of kroots died to some shooting, but nothing too crazy. The coptas and bikes charged into the kroot. The kroot did a good job creating a distraction and unfortunately were pretty much destroyed in CC. The warbikes consolidated back to my left coming towards my HH, while the coptas didn't consolidate too far.

My first turn, I moved the suits on the right to face off the trukks, I moved one of the devilfishes up towards the deffcoptas and unloaded the troops and gun drones. The HH moved over to face off with the looted wagon, and the commander and other suits faced off with the warbikes. The 1st Battlesuit hit one of the trukks with his missile pod, and destroyed it, forcing the mob, along with the warboss to disembark. The 2nd battlesuit hit the other trukk with his missle pod, and it exploded! The ramshackle rule made it kereen and then kerunch, or something like that. So it moved forward about 4 inches, and exploded, and actually took out 1/2 of the orks in the mob inside the trukk as well as 1/2 the orks in the mob that disembarked from the other trukk right next to it.

The HH didn't produce on the looted wagon, and the DF, Gun Drones and FW's used the Fish of Fury manuever on the deffcoptas. They wounded each one, but since the coptas have 2 wounds they were still a threat. The commander and other 2 battlesuits faced off with the bikes and took out 2 of them with flamers, burst cannons and AFP. This was the first time I used TL flamers, and it was an excellent idea, they saved me on more than one occasion.

From here the game gets kind of sketchy in my mind, but here are the big highlights:

The remaining 2 warbikes charged my left over kroot, the kroot lost 1, and took out the 2 warbikes. He had a mob of 20 boyz that had made it through the ruins next to the kroot and were coming my way, but luckily he rolled horribly for his difficult terrain test, so my kroot were able to fire rapid fire shots, along with the 2 battlesuits and commander also in the area. The last of the mob was charged by the kroot and taken down to 3 orks, which ran away only to be shot down by the AFP later in the game. Unfortunately, the looted wagon landed an awesome shot on the kroot and took all of them except 1 out, which of course proceeded to run off the board.

At one point, I was up against his 2nd mob of 20 boyz, I had the Fish of Fury maneuver in effect (even though it gave him a cover save, it still worked out), along with support from a lot of other things. Here's what I had against his 20 boys, AFP, 4 burst cannons, 4 TL Flamers, 2 Missile Pods, 2 Pulse Carbines, 11 Pulse Rifles (rapid fire range). With all of that, I took everyone in the mob out, which was lucky because he was in charge range of whatever he wanted.

As for his trukk boyz (including his warboss), it took him awhile to get them up the field, but after I took out the big mob in the middle, I just moved everything else to take them on, and at the end of turn 4 he was done except for his 3 running orks (the ones mentioned earlier) and his looted wagon.

This was a different game for me, as I've played against this Ork list 2 or 3 times now, and this was the first time I was able to pull out a win. I usually setup a static fire base and then do the whole wait for him to show up, so I wanted to be more aggressive this time. While I wasn't able to stick to my original plan, I was able to modify it to work to my advantage. The synergy between the units with the Tau worked perfect in this game.

A few things that worked in my favor though was the amount of difficult terrain he had to pass through, and his horrible rolls to move through it. Taking out his transports early on was also great!

Anyways, sorry about the scattered memory, but it was a pretty exciting game and I wanted to share. If he sends me the pics I'll post a couple up.
Old 23 Feb 2009, 04:44   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Battle Report - Tau v Orks - 1000 Points

Nicely done. I have not played against Orks yet or any horde at all. I am glad we can be competetive.

Did I understand it correctly, that the Deffcoptas unit was composed of 2 identical models and one with a different equipment? If so, and you caused 3 Wounds on the unit, one Deffcopta should have been removed.

But you totally smashed the Orks anyway.

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2009, 05:42   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

nice battle report-readable and not boring
miniaturerat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2009, 06:46   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

Quote:
Elites
Crisis Team (2 suits) - TL Flamers, BC's, HW Multi-Trackers
If I'm reading this correctly this configuration is illegal. Only a crisis suit teamleader has access to wargear. HW Multi-trackers are wargear. So only one of the suits could have the hardwired mult-tracker.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2009, 23:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Did I understand it correctly, that the Deffcoptas unit was composed of 2 identical models and one with a different equipment? If so, and you caused 3 Wounds on the unit, one Deffcopta should have been removed.
That is correct, he had 3 coptas, 1 had a kustom mega blasta. If I cause 3 wounds, wouldn't he be able to allocate 1 to each one? I will say that I'm still in the process of learning 5th edition since I don't get to play that often, and I'm trying to teach him to play as well so there are still some details that we miss or don't do 100% correctly.

Quote:
If I'm reading this correctly this configuration is illegal. Only a crisis suit teamleader has access to wargear. HW Multi-trackers are wargear. So only one of the suits could have the hardwired mult-tracker.
Thanks for pointing that out, for some reason I never noticed that! Would I be able to equip the other suit with a regular multi-tracker and still keep the same weapon load out? That's something that has always been ambiguous to me. The dex says suits have to have 3 weapon or support systems, but it doesn't say you can't have more. But then in the wargear section it says suits need to be loaded with how their entry states. So the basic question is, can suits have more than 3 weapons or support systems? And if not, why?

Old 23 Feb 2009, 23:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

No you cannot have more than 3 weapon or support systems. The battlesut only has 3 hardpoints as per the Tau Empire Codex. The only way to get additional support systems is for it a teamleader, shas'vre or commander ('O or 'El). However, you cannot have more than 3 weapon systems.

To answer your question about whether you could keep the same loadout with a non-commander or teamleader battlesuit, you cannot. A regular multi-tracker takes up 1 of the 3 hardpoints. Each weapon takes up a hardpoint. You've got 3 hardpoints full on that battlesuit. So you'd have to drop a weapon somewhere along the lines for the mult-tracker. Honestly, flamer burst cannon is not a bad config if you're facing Orks, Guard, 'Nids or Eldar. I used to use that config. But I dont anymore since everyone at my store plays space marines... It's annoying. :-\
Old 24 Feb 2009, 02:54   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeebus
Quote:
That is correct, he had 3 coptas, 1 had a kustom mega blasta. If I cause 3 wounds, wouldn't he be able to allocate 1 to each one? I will say that I'm still in the process of learning 5th edition since I don't get to play that often, and I'm trying to teach him to play as well so there are still some details that we miss or don't do 100% correctly.

In the new rules, yes you can allocate one wound to each model in a unit, so if the three coptas were in one unit, he can allocate one wound to each.
Old 24 Feb 2009, 06:49   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

He can only allocate 1 wound to each of the models are actually different. If they were all equipped the same then you have to remove models whenever possible.
Old 24 Feb 2009, 11:26   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

sweet jesus. You guys need to read the rules.
Old 25 Feb 2009, 09:33   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Nice report. Looks like you did your target priority right, which is the first good lesson to learn.

With the deffkoptas, you had two groups in the unit. One with rokkits and one with the KMB. Two wounds would have killed one from either group, while the other group would take a wound. Wounds should be allocated before making saves though, so you might not end up killing something. Also, when the koptas turboboost in their scout move they have to stay 12" away from all your models while the move, and when they come to a stop, so they shouldn't be inches from you.

@Darkseer: You need to read the rules of these forums as well, before you go posting comments like that. One line, non-capitalized, non-constructive comments are against the rules for Tau Online. Keep doing that and you will end up getting negative karma. So instead of telling someone (rudely), to read the rules perhaps you should help them out with the rules they got wrong.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote