Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tau Vehicles
Closed Thread
Old 30 May 2005, 03:58   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Tau Vehicles

Aside: Apologiesif this topic already exists, however it is late and I do not quite feel up to searching for a similar topic at the moment...

I have a few points I would like to make/ask about.

First I would like to address something mentioned in one of the tactics I have read through. This seems to be a common misconception and I would like to point out that it is wrong (or at least discover for myself that it isn't wrong?) Placing a multitracker on a hammerhead only allows it to fire as a fast vehicle. This means that it may move 12" and fire its railgun (so fun!!). This, however, does not mean that if it moves over 6" it can only ever be glanced. If I am wrong here, please tell me, because I would love nothing more than to have an indestructible HH!

Second, I have also read a lot of tactica that refers to devilfish as being a fast moving vehicle. Is this an error in the codex or the same misconception as above?

Thirdly, I have run into a rules dispute with a fellow gamer, and I cannot refute his statements as I do not actually have a rulebook of my own. The FoF tactica is based around preventing your firewarrior squad(s) from being assaulted via blocking movement with the devilfish. My friend claims that the devilfish, being a skimmer, does not block movement. Could somebody please provide me with a quote and what page it can be found in the rulebook?

Thank you muchly,
Muds
Old 30 May 2005, 04:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Robogem Send a message via MSN to Robogem
Default Re: Tau Vehicles

Quote:
Second, I have also read a lot of tactica that refers to devilfish as being a fast moving vehicle. Is this an error in the codex or the same misconception as above?
Its a skimmer.
A hero is only a hero when he or she takes incredible risks. If you prod a tiger with a stick from behind six inches of body armor and an impenetrable shield of force you're not a hero, you're just a jackass.
[/size]
Old 30 May 2005, 04:11   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Muddy:

1) You're right about the multi-tracker. It allows us to fire as if we're fast, not move fast. Now, as a skimmer (regardless of the multi-tracker) if we move over 6 inches in any given movement phase, we can only ever be glanced. You do not need a multi-tracker to keep that part of it (standard skimmer rules).

2) The Devilfish is not a fast moving vehicle. Most people do not even buy the multi-tracker for it. Most people refer to it as a "Skimmer moving fast" which is a reference to the rules on skimmers that any skimmer moving over 6 inches is only glancable. That's the only misconception I can think of it.

3) Your friend is wrong. There is no such thing as "Skimmers do not block movement" in the rulebook. The only thing that exists that is remotely similar that your friend could use, is "Skimmers do not block line of sight." Skimmers can be "seen" through, but nothing can perform an assault move through them. They're still an enemy model and still use the rules for assault, even if you can shoot through them due to line of sight. The FoF move takes advantage of the rules of skimmers, by allowing you to shoot through the skimmers (because skimmers do not block line of sight); while not allowing assaults due to the rules of assault in 4th edition not allowing us to come within 1 inch of an enemy model unless we are assaulting it (in the FoF case, they would have to assault the skimmer, which will not be very helpful of course). No quote or page number is required for this, because there simply is no rule that says skimmers do not block movement. Skimmers are vehicles and still block momvent just like any other vehicle. He can refer to vehicle rules for that. Skimmers however, do not block line of sight, which is only used for the shooting phase.

Cheers and good luck in your next battle!
Old 30 May 2005, 04:22   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Mal's got it summed up nicely. I'm just going to add a cautionary note to something he mentioned

The FoF nice trick... but it depends on one thing. *Your opponent has to be assumed to be unwilling to assault the vehicle that is attached to your squad. *I'm a little fuzzy on the rules here... but since the Fish is a dedicated transport, I'd think locking it in Assault is a lot like locking one of your FW in assault... meaning you can't retreat. *Even if that's not true, I'd still consider assaulting the transport first depending on how many casualties the FoF attack racked up. *If there weren't that many or if I'm down to only 3 or so models in a squad, I'd say go ahead and assault the Fish. *Especially if I were packing a meltabomb, an EMP grenade, or something similar. *Even if the FW kill my unit after I've done the Fish, they're still left (pardon the pun) hoofing it. *And that puts them back into a static mode instead of a mechanised mode. *Course, if he kills the Fish, the wreckage is then treated as difficult terrain... so there's a good chance your FW squad might be able to break off from an assault for another turn. *Eventually, though, without support, they're grist for the mill.

-Sightline
Murphy's Laws of Combat Operations: *If at first you don't succeed, call in an air strike.
Old 30 May 2005, 04:48   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

You learn something new every day... I thought that rule only applied to fast skimmers, not any skimmer. That makes me very happy like So happy, that I cannot wait to face IG again!

I also have a few questions about skimmers drawing line of sight over cover, but I will hold off on asking them as I beleive part of the problem may be house rules.

Mal, I don't beleive I have to worry about that.. in a 1000 point battle I will field atleast one hammerhead, with which I will selectively pick off transports / vehicles and artillary before I send in me fishes to clean the rest up. None of my regular opponants plays anything with a 3+ Sv or better (save TMCs and Battlesuits, and occasionally a small detachment of GK allies) so the Hammerhead opperates at its maximum no matter the target. But I digress...

Thank you for your assistance
-Muds

Old 30 May 2005, 05:34   #6 (permalink)
Ethereal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightline
Mal's got it summed up nicely.* I'm just going to add a cautionary note to something he mentioned

The FoF nice trick... but it depends on one thing. *Your opponent has to be assumed to be unwilling to assault the vehicle that is attached to your squad. *I'm a little fuzzy on the rules here... but since the Fish is a dedicated transport, I'd think locking it in Assault is a lot like locking one of your FW in assault... meaning you can't retreat. *Even if that's not true, I'd still consider assaulting the transport first depending on how many casualties the FoF attack racked up. *If there weren't that many or if I'm down to only 3 or so models in a squad, I'd say go ahead and assault the Fish. *Especially if I were packing a meltabomb, an EMP grenade, or something similar. *Even if the FW kill my unit after I've done the Fish, they're still left (pardon the pun) hoofing it. *And that puts them back into a static mode instead of a mechanised mode. *Course, if he kills the Fish, the wreckage is then treated as difficult terrain... so there's a good chance your FW squad might be able to break off from an assault for another turn. *Eventually, though, without support, they're grist for the mill.

-Sightline
Murphy's Laws of Combat Operations: *If at first you don't succeed, call in an air strike.
Vehicles (apart from walkers) may never be locked in close-combat, not even dedicated transports. Whether or not it survives, you will have no protection from shooting during the next turn. The fact that you will only be hitting the Devilfish on a 6 (and even then only glancing it) makes bringing it down in assault difficult for most armies. Assaulting the tank can be worth it though, as it is often your only option anyway. If enough of your unit has survived, assaulting the tank allows you to come within 1" of it with your other models if you are trying to wrap around to the Fire Warriors behind. The only thing you have to worry about in this case is the assault movement rules.
Old 30 May 2005, 06:57   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks for the info, Khanaris. I really appreciate the clarification.

-Sightline
Murphy's Laws of Combat Operations: When you have secured the area, make sure the enemy knows it too.
Old 30 May 2005, 11:38   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy
First I would like to address something mentioned in one of the tactics I have read through. This seems to be a common misconception and I would like to point out that it is wrong (or at least discover for myself that it isn't wrong?) Placing a multitracker on a hammerhead only allows it to fire as a fast vehicle. This means that it may move 12" and fire its railgun (so fun!!). This, however, does not mean that if it moves over 6" it can only ever be glanced. If I am wrong here, please tell me, because I would love nothing more than to have an indestructible HH!
We've never said it turns the Hammerhead into a "fast" vehicle. Rules are clear-it fires as though its a fast vehicle.
And you can move and fire EVERYTHING. Rulebook states fast vehicles moving 12" can fire 1 main and all defensive weapons. We have 1 main weapon on the hammerhead, and twin bursts or SMSs are str5 making them defensive weapons-you can fire everything.

And all skimmers moving over 6" can only be glanced-it has nothing to do with being "fast".

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Closed Thread