Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Tactics Against IG?
Old 22 Feb 2009, 22:01   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Tactics Against IG?

I'm teaching a friend of mine to play 40k and he chose a Tau army. He only has 750 points atm, which is 2 FW squads, Devilfish, sniper team, kroot sqaud (12-15 I think), 3man stealth team, HQ in crisis suit. My 750 point includes kasrkin with an HI, 2 mortars, 4 AC's, and an LRBT (Which I'm switching out for a Sentinel and Chimera once I finished getting them painted).

I've been teaching him tactics and just playing games and giving him pointers. What are some good anti-IG tactics he can use? My AC's and mortars always make short work of his army and he doesn't have the range to outshoot me. I keep telling him to keep the FW teams out of range of my lasguns, but he's never able to.

USAFTACP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2009, 23:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Tactics Against IG?

First of all, tell him that when he's versing you, Sniper Drone teams are useless. Also, suggest he pick up a broadside or two. Other than that, he should keep a FW team in the devilfish for objective grabbing, reminding him that las guns can't hurt the tank. In addition, recommend he outfit his commander with a Cyclonic Ion Blaster, Missile Pod, Targeting array, and Hard wired multi tracker as it puts out 7 AP4 shots a turn at 24" away (18" range + 6" assault phase jet pack movement). Other than that, just keep reminding him to stay out of assault except with his kroot and to down your transports ASAP.
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2009, 00:09   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

I've told him about the sniper team as they never get their points worth in battles, but he loves them. He gave his commander twin linked ml pods and a plasma cannon. It does pretty well.

Old 23 Feb 2009, 00:31   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
I've told him about the sniper team as they never get their points worth in battles, but he loves them. He gave his commander twin linked ml pods and a plasma cannon. It does pretty well.
Well, try to explain to him that you have no models with 3+/2+ armor saves.
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2009, 00:43   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

I don't mind if he includes units because he likes them, I do the same on all my lists. I'd rather have him play the way he wants than trying make the most competetive list he possibly can.

Old 23 Feb 2009, 09:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

One tip you should suggest if you haven't is tell him to deepstrike his stealth suits near the mortar guys. He needs to take out your biggest hardest killing guns first to keep you from ripping his troops to shreds.
And as mentioned earlier, devilfish are really nice for troop mobility.
Range is important too, keeping out of the lasgun range as mentioned earlier. I've seen tau get out gunned before, but they have the mobility to help bolster them on the battlefield.
The kroot also need to out flank probably. Unless he can get close enough to assault your guard in a turn with a sneaky infiltrate. And with his kroot, might want to add a couple of hounds. If he doesn't like hounds, just make them a gun line.
Ekiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2009, 09:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I wasn't aware stealth suits can deep strike. He always has them and the kroots outflank.

Old 23 Feb 2009, 10:30   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

if you ask me he has a really solid army against guard, especially if you're planing to have sentinels.

here's my take:
1) infiltrate both kroot and stealth and target normal guards man
2) 1 fw in fish while other charge the artillery line behind the fish
3) sniper to take out arti and senti
4) HQ take out any armor as priority then guards

the main objective here is to make full use of his stealth gen on the stealth suits and sniper drones, it's basically GG for you if he cut down your troops size and it can be done quite easily with his models.

ohh and yeah if he hasn't glue fully the wep system on his HQ go CIB and MP if he want to have a permanent wep glue to the model then go CIB+PR (this config is more versatile agaisn't most army)
GarethXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Feb 2009, 11:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

That's what he tries to do, but that fish doesn't last very long and the mortars make short work of his open FW team. I always keep my units far enough away so I can't get assaulted the first turn the kroot come in and a good turn of shooting with the mortars and AC's gets them down to a manageable number.

Not sure what CIB and MP mean, not familiar enough with Tau.

He tries to shoot down my squads, but it's hard to take down that many guardsmen in cover.

It seems to me that aside from a few mistakes he's generally doing a decent job, just need to focus on making better use of his kroots, since he can't outshoot me those at least should be able to do some damage.

Old 23 Feb 2009, 12:54   #10 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

:-\ well all i have to say that he isn't quite familiar with tau playing style, because as far as i can see the only problem thing that will cause me the most problem would be your russ and the autocannon, but it seems to be a pretty even battle, though i always pimp out my fish not sure about his fish config so can't help him out much but a fish with decoy + SMS + Multi would most of the time get rid of one of your heavy support on turn 1.

ohh and try sugesting to him instead of 2 full FW try spliting the expose squad into 2 more smaller unit so they can flank.

unless you're haeving the first round which would i say give you a 65% chance of wining, but if he goes first 24~30 rapid fire shots from kroot rifle would mostlikely kill of 1 squad of IG while 9 burstcannon shots has a high chance to make your troops fall back not to mansion 4 sms shots which would negate any non in terain cover save would deal a huge blow to a heavy arti IG.

not to mantion the pining effect of the sniper drones as i see it it's a balance match up, it isn't like your friend is up against necrons (shivers)
GarethXL is offline   Reply With Quote