Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Ion cannon v transports
Old 22 Feb 2009, 02:35   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun
Default Ion cannon v transports

before I glue (yes I dont have magnets) my Ion cannon to my hammer head (second) just how good is the ion cannon at popping transports?
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2009, 02:37   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: Ion cannon v transports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tausand sun
before I glue (yes I dont have magnets) my Ion cannon to my hammer head (second) just how good is the ion cannon at popping transports?
How about you just don't glue at all until you get the magnets?
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2009, 02:40   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to LiinSivi Send a message via Yahoo to LiinSivi

How good is the Ion cannon against transports? Not as good as the Railgun. In fact that goes for pretty much every situation.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his" --George S. Patton
LiinSivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2009, 02:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

well the railgun gets 1 shot but has a better chance to penetrate, and a slightly better chance to blow it up, but the ion cannon gets three times as many shots.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Old 22 Feb 2009, 03:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

The Ion Cannon is not bad against certian transports. It's good for it's versatility. If you're going up against a bunch of space marine rhinos it's pretty decent with it's volume of fire and strength 7 it's pretty likely to take down a single rhino. Then once the rhino has popped it's decent for taking out the space marines inside. However, I much prefer the railgun. It's much more likely to kill the transport, and then with it's blast template it's just as likely to kill as many space marines with it's blast template as the ion cannon is. If your opponent is particularly unlucky then it can possibly kill more. I was playing a game the other day when I dropped a blast template on my opponent and it killed 5 out of 7 space marines with a single blast. In another game I killed 7 out of 9 sisters of battle with a single shot. That's more than an Ion cannon is possibly capable of killing. I can see the appeal of the Ion Cannon but I'll take my trusty old Railgun any day.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2009, 03:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

I did a calculation for the number of marines killed by the Ion cannon V the submunition once, they turned out to be close if the number of marines under the template was 8 but beyond that, the railgun beat it hands down, so, how many marines do you usually get under the template?
Old 22 Feb 2009, 04:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via AIM to jhontauel Send a message via MSN to jhontauel Send a message via Yahoo to jhontauel

just a thought but instead of magnets use green stuff and/or pinning to make weapons swappable. I do that for all of mine. a counter weight and call it good.

Playing 40k since 2002
jhontauel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2009, 06:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

The cheapest way without gluing anything is just glue a piece of scrap plastic inside the insert and wedge the cannon onto the pivotal part. Works wonders on the model and your wallet. It's what i do with all my Hammerhead guns and it works great actually.

Regarding your question, Ion is actually really good at popping transports, but because of all the coversaves it much harder now.
MentosMkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Feb 2009, 14:02   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

Ion cannon is really not as versatile as the railgun IMO; why not pay the 15 mroe points to get the railgun for the lovely pie plate that spells doom for guard, nids and other light infantry and that can be used alternatively as the most powerful single shot weapon in the game (outside of apocalypse)? I guess you take a risk in that 1/3 time the railgun will miss, but hey, that's a risk you take when shooting with anything.
Old 22 Feb 2009, 20:00   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Let's do the math.

3 S7 shots, 2 should hit, versus AV10, .33 glances and 1 penetrating hit
1 S10 shot, .66 should hit, versus AV10, .66 penetrating hits
versus AV11, that's .33 glances and .66 penetrating hits for the ion cannon and .08 glances and .42 penetrating hits for the rail gun
Versus AV12, its .33 glances and .33 penetrating hits for the ion cannon, with .08 glances and .34 penetrating hits for the rail gun
Versus AV13 , its .33 glances for the ion cannon, with .08 glances and .26 penetrating hits for the rail gun

Consensus, versus AV10 and 11 vehicles the Ion Cannon is better. Versus AV12, it is also better if an immobilized result will have an effect on it (E.G. It's a transport) but it's pretty close either way. Anything higher than 12 is better left to the railgun. So against light vehicles, the Ion Cannon is better.
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote