Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

If Tau really are based off of Asian culture...
Closed Thread
Old 30 May 2005, 01:48   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default If Tau really are based off of Asian culture...

Why do they suck at CC? Did they do this just for balance or what? It would be cool if at least the Auns had awsome CC without using the blade.
Old 30 May 2005, 02:06   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Death-Merchant
Default Re: If Tau really are based off of Asian culture...

it was for balance i believe because then they would win from 5 ft away and at CC
Old 30 May 2005, 02:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Mike:

It's all about theme, flavor. The Tau are disgusted by hand to hand combat. If you were to attempt to inject reality into them, sure they could probably be decent in hand to hand, but consider their stats compared to a Marine. Marines are the end-all-be-all of butt-whooping. The Tau are young and physically still being altered to their roles. The Fire Caste are the only ones that could possibly fight, and they're supposed to be light so that they can move. They're not mean to just go in and fight in hand to hand. They don't have the resources of the Human Empire. Every Tau is worth saving to them, so hand to hand is avoided. As a game mechanic, they simply make them "bad" in combat, to make you keep away from it (and to keep you thinking that way by having everything else be able to beat you down in combat).

Now... what kills me, is the lack of real ability that the Kroot have. They're good in combat, but I would imagine them to be much faster. In the fluff, they can beat down Eldar, who are much faster...
Old 30 May 2005, 02:22   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yeah, if Kroot were a bit faster that would be awsome. Maybe a 9 inch charge or something?
Old 30 May 2005, 02:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3n4m31zm1k3
Yeah, if Kroot were a bit faster that would be awsome. Maybe a 9 inch charge or something?
or a fleet of foot

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 30 May 2005, 03:14   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Really it is all about balance:
Space Marines have good armour, average weapons, above-average stats, and expensive price.
Tau have decent armour, above-average weapons, average stats, and a cheaper price.

I really don't understand why people think that the Tau should be better, for they are as good as they are going to get! ^-^
Old 30 May 2005, 04:01   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3n4m31zm1k3
Why do they suck at CC? Did they do this just for balance or what? It would be cool if at least the Auns had awsome CC without using the blade.
Point 1) Who said they were based off asian culture?* GW has said that the look of the models was based off anime, but the look of the models and the character of the race are hardly the same thing.

Point 2) "Based off of" means that it was used as a starting point, then modified.

Point 3) Tau are fictional. They are whatever the authors of the fluff say they are.
Man, that's the joy of Anime! To revel in the complete and utter wastefullness of making an unstoppable nuclear-powered combat andriod in the shape of a cute little girl, who has the ability to fall in love and wears an enormous bow in her hair.

Don't tell me that you fell for the MTV lie?
The MTV lie is that people who rebel against tradition are thnking for themselves, while those who follow tradition are just sheep who do not think.
It is, of course, completely untrue. The decision to follow tradition is just as much an exercize of free will as is the decision to depart from it.
Old 30 May 2005, 04:16   #8 (permalink)
Ethereal

The Tau were intended to follow certain Asian themes, but it came down to what niches were left to be filled in the game mechanics. The Tau are fairly precarious as we are, balanced between Guard and Eldar. There are already many close-combat lists in the game, and the Tau would have ended up feeling like Marines if they had been given close-commbat abilities instead of high-strength mobile firepower.
Old 30 May 2005, 04:18   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Death-Merchant

i really like how the tau fight but i think its a little cowardly but effective much like dark eldar horribly cowardly but i like their style. i think that guard fight tthe bravest runnig blindly into danger not worring about your survival
Old 30 May 2005, 04:19   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Robogem Send a message via MSN to Robogem

Want close combat tau, make a Commander Farsight Army.

There ya go.
A hero is only a hero when he or she takes incredible risks. If you prod a tiger with a stick from behind six inches of body armor and an impenetrable shield of force you're not a hero, you're just a jackass.
[/size]
Closed Thread