Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I'm new, help me with tactics please...
Old 20 Feb 2009, 12:50   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default I'm new, help me with tactics please...

I am starting a Tau army as many of you know...and compared to what I used to play they are going to be a large learning curve for me. I am trying to nail down the best tactics to use, especially now in 5th Edition.

I have read all the tactica on the homepage, browsed other sites like A.T. Tactica, etc etc. What are the best way to use Tau in the new rules set? Jump-Shoot-Jump and Fish of Fury, are they still effective? Pilot Fish (really liked this idea) is it functional? Do I go for mobility and speed coupled with strong shooting or do I gear towards slow and excellent shooting?

Needless to say I have about 1,000 questions that swarm through my head daily. Can anyone help me answer some of there please?

Thanks,
F-C

Reductor General Aetos and the Ad Mech - Ordnance like rain.

Wins Losses Draws
Ad Mech 0 3 2

"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." - Douglas Adams
Full-choke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Feb 2009, 13:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun
Default Re: I'm new, help me with tactics please...

Hybrid or Blitzkrieg seems to be the best IMO, basically get some heavy artillery and mount up your FWs Squads of six work well. Basically run the battle like a real commander would. I.E. Soften up enemy positions with heavy artillery and then send in the cavalry to take whats left, then have your troops secure it and move on. Nothing in the tau armory is overpowered or really scary by itself like in other armies, but that's what's so deceptive about Tau, the entire army works together to accomplish a goal, and that goal can usually get done. as for other tactics.

Agro tau- from what I know, it's basically just forgoing Broadsides and going with the fastest most shoot things you can get and just wailing on your opponent. oh and DF mounted FW's

Static Tau- basically forgo the mobile firepower, and load up on broadsides and drop your DevilFishes for more fire warriors, this is basically akin to early 1900's trench warfare. Dig in your heels and blast away with as many shots/good shots as you can.

Hybrid- Basically a combination of the two

Blitzkrieg- Hybrid tau with a difference, in terms of what the unit formation looks like, it's basically DF mounted fire warriors, with some broadsides and hammerheads, and you leave the broadsides behind with some kroot to secure the rear objective while your XV8's, hammerheads, and whatever else you have that can move 12", moves in formation with your Devilfish to quickly over run and secure an objective while keeping your DF nice and safe.

last but most certainly not least! NINJA TAU!- ask gonefishing for more info on Ninja tau, but basically you use the outflank/infiltrate/deepstrike rules to deny kill points to your opponent and position your forces closer to the objectives.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Feb 2009, 16:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Tau Blitzkrieg??? This sounds right up my alley ;D! Tell me more please!

F-C

Reductor General Aetos and the Ad Mech - Ordnance like rain.

Wins Losses Draws
Ad Mech 0 3 2

"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." - Douglas Adams
Full-choke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Feb 2009, 18:14   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

look back a bit in the history it's a tactic I devised as a way to maximize efficancy and take advantage of the attack to defense ratios.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 Feb 2009, 22:37   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Fish of Fury was extremely potent back in 4th edition. But now in 5th edition, it has been dramatically not as effective due to LoS. Since you're firing under your fish to the enemy, the enemy gets a 4+ cover save. Jump-shoot-jump will be your best friend with Crisis Suits, just remember to use your cover wisely.

You might also want to look into mechanized Tau, basically utilizing several Crisis suits to your advantage along with support from Fire Warriors and Hammerheads.

O o
/Ż/___________________________ _________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH LAZAH BLAAAAAAHHH!!!
\_\ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote