Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Dealing with guard?
Old 19 Feb 2009, 02:40   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun
Default Dealing with guard?

Okay i'm having a match on sunday with an IG player... that's all I know, I don't know what type of guard (hoard or mechanized) so which is the most common or better yet, how do I prepare for this match?

oh and it's about 1500 points, something was said about epic I don't really know what that is, but I also heard a mention of shadowsword and deathstrike....
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2009, 02:50   #2 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen
Default Re: Dealing with guard?

If it's not Apoclypse, then you don't have to worry. Just bring the usual Crisis Suits (Bring a variety of weapons e.g. Fusion Blasters, Burst Cannon, Missile Pods etc.) to deal with anything the Guard can throw at you, Stealthsuits to Outflank and harass them, Fire Warriors to gun down anything that comes close to you, Pathfinders to negate their Cover Save and improve your accuracy and Railguns (Preferably, on a Hammerhead as you want the Submunitions Shot to kill lots of Guardsmen).

Concentrate on the Leman Russes and any other tanks then move on to destroying the Command Platoon then you just need to mop up the rest. If he's playing Drop Troops, play Ninja Tau or just place everything in reserves which requires you to be Mechanized. Most likely he's going to spread out his forces either trying to overwhelm you or he has little space to deploy. Concentrate on one flank (right or left) then slowly move through the middle then to the other side. Done correctly, 1/3 or even 1/2 of his Heavy Weapons won't be in range or out of LoS to rack your Tau with Heavy Weapons fire.
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2009, 04:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

Games against Guard aren't that huge of a deal. You just have to focus on not getting overwhelmed by the number of guys on the table. If you focus fire properly then you'll be able to whittle them down to nearly nothing by the end of the game. Just focus on the enemy army flank and keep rolling that flank. Dont be afraid to get close to them either our battlesuits (stealth or crisis) can reliably outfight guardsmen in close combat as long as we get the charge and there isn't a character in there with a power weapon (fist or sword) Guard players generally dont spend points on power weapons for their cheap guard squads so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

You got great advice from Zenai. Stealth suits are an absolute must. They can lay down a tremendous amount of fire power and with their strength of 4 and their 3+ armour save I've beaten guard players in close combat several times with them. Or even used a very small unit of them to lock up a guard heavy weapons team in close combat for an entire game. Guard players like to place heavy weapons teams on the flank. If you outflank stealth suits it's easy to get at them quickly. Similarly, stealth suits are great for taking out basilisks that your opponent my hide out of line of sight and in corners. That's also a popular tactic for Guard players.

Crisis suits are great for playing anyone. It's just a matter of the weapons that you put on them. In the case of guard here are the weapon options I'd reccomend....

Twinlinked Flamers: Wanna wipe out guard in hordes AND fast? Twinlinked flamers will do it quick. They're assault weapons too so you can then charge in and finish off what's left. It's worthless against vehicles though. So make sure you've popped their vehicles first.

Twinlinked Fusion: Takes out a leman russ pretty reliably. Expect them because they're one of the most reliable vehicles in the game and you need to take them out fast. I'd only take this type of squad if I was expecting several Leman Russ tanks.

Twinlinked Missile Pods: They're great for taking out light vehicles and with strength 7 they're great for insta-killing any guard characters he's got if you can draw a bead on him. They're also great for taking inexpensive potshots at guard light vehicles. Twinlinked missiles will reliably take down any guard transport and it will also take out the absolutely devestating Hellhound. This vehicle can fire a heavy flamer template 24" and take out entire squads of fire warriors wounding on 2's with no save of any kind. It's incredibly nasty. If he's got 1 or 2 of these vehicles then take them out as soon as you see them. They should be your first priority.

So those are the weapon options I'd take agaisnt Guard. Burst cannons are worthless on crisis suits. If you want burst cannons just take stealth suits. Plasma is also overkill against guard as well.

The hammerhead is another indespensible tool. It's large blast can wipe out guard squads in a single shot. It's also got better anti-tank fire power than a leman russ and can slug it out with their main battle tanks and come out on top almost everytime.

Pathfinders are also important. Guard units can be much much MUCH more survivable when given cover. Pathfinders can take that away from any unit. Also, they can increase the ballistic skill of your fire warriors which will wipe out ANYTHING that comes near you.

Anyway, I hope any of this stuff helps you. These are just a few tricks that I learned playing the game in 5th. Good luck sir...
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2009, 07:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Just a note - to make the Fusion Blaster reliable against something with high armour value (such as Leman Russ), you need to use it from half range, that is from 6" or less. That way the Fusion Blaster rolls 8+2D6 for armour penetration, instead of the usual 8+D6, since it is a Melta.

I am a bit afraid of the new Guard tank with Heavy 20 main gun. :-\

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2009, 07:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog
Just a note - to make the Fusion Blaster reliable against something with high armour value (such as Leman Russ), you need to use it from half range, that is from 6" or less. That way the Fusion Blaster rolls 8+2D6 for armour penetration, instead of the usual 8+D6, since it is a Melta.

No worries, it's balanced because its merely Str 5 with no AP. :
Old 19 Feb 2009, 07:41   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Well, statistically, our Fire Warriors are going to fail half of their Armour Saves against shots that wound them on 2+. Our Devilfish has side armour of 11. A hail of shots from that tank is going to penetrate a few times. *sighs*

Can someone do the Matthammer calculations for that tank, please? I heard that it also has two Heavy Bolters and a Heavy Stubber.

Whenever I shall see this tank on the board, I am going to concentrate everything on it.

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2009, 07:53   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

IT WILL NOT BE APOCALYPSE.

DO NOT LET HIM TAKE A SHADOWSWORD OR BANEBLADE.

We had an apocalypse game the other day, and it was hilarious because the guard player had just bought a baneblade and it was one of his first game's using it. Anyway, they got first turn, the baneblade did jack all, then it came to our turn and it got hammerblow'd and there was an apocalyptic explosion out to 15"! I lol'd.

He then used one of the apocalypse reload stratigic assests, which meant that if he rolled a 4+ (I think), the baneblade was placed in strategic reserve. Was he allowed to do this with a super-heavy?
Old 19 Feb 2009, 10:14   #8 (permalink)
Zen
Ethereal

Send a message via MSN to Zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unusualsuspect
Quote:

No worries, it's balanced because its merely Str 5 with no AP. :
Ru-mors!!! OK, you know what? I will do you guys a favor:

I, Zenai, will swear to make a Tactica on how to deal with new Imperial Guard Codex using Tau!

Happy?
Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2009, 10:41   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Well, statistically, our Fire Warriors are going to fail half of their Armour Saves against shots that wound them on 2+. Our Devilfish has side armour of 11. A hail of shots from that tank is going to penetrate a few times. *sighs*

Can someone do the Matthammer calculations for that tank, please? I heard that it also has two Heavy Bolters and a Heavy Stubber.

Whenever I shall see this tank on the board, I am going to concentrate everything on it.
Don't bother. Strength 5 can only glance the side armour of a fish and the fact that it's AP- means it's at -3 on the damage table. The max damage from one shot is a weapon destroyed result. The odds are he will hit with 10 shots, glance with 1, maybe 2 shots, and then stop you from shooting. Big whoop!

Extartius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 Feb 2009, 10:45   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

well it's not just a simple game, it's epic stuff, so ..... anyway I'm not worried about the giant tank, I take lots of anti tank anyways when going up against guard, I just don't know what kind of guard he is, hoard or mounted....
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote