Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Help! Tau vs Blood Angels
Old 18 Feb 2009, 14:15   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Help! Tau vs Blood Angels

I am a new Tau player, and my main opponent has a blood angel army that is heavy on Assault Infantry, Assault Vets, and Death Company. We both have about 1000pts worth of troops. The map we are playing on has a fair amount of cover and stuff that breaks LOS so its hard to get a lot of shots in before he can engage me in H2H.

Here is my full army, minus loadout (I would appreciate loadout recommendations for future battles)

1 Commander Shas'O + Shield drone

1 XV8 Crisis Suit + Shield Drone

1 XV88 Broadside + Shield Drone

12 Kroot Carnivores, 2 Kroot Hounds

2 teams of Fire Warriors (12 each) (One team has a marker drone)

1 Devilfish

1 Stealth team (3 suits) with markerlight

1 Squad of Gun Drones (4 drones)

His Army:

Death Company with Jump Packs, 5 models + Lamartes

10 Veteran Assault Marines

5 Assault Marines

1 Rhino Transport with 10 Tac Marines

(He also has a terminator squad and a dreadnought that aren't in play this game due to point cap).

As you can see, he is highly mobile (12" movement and then 6" assault? So I have to stay outside of 18" of him at all times? Great.) and can get to me very easily. All the clutter around the map prevents me from getting a lot of shots in before he can land on my head and assault me in H2H.

So my questions are threefold:

1. What general tactics/strategies should I use against the blood angels given my current army and a map that makes it hard to get off a lot of shots against his jump marines?

2. What sort of loadout of weaponry/extras are beneficial against this sort of army, given my current army?

3. If I were to acquire more units/vehicles, what would you recommend or replace what I have given his army? Do I need more Kroot? More vehicles? If so, which? or?

Any and all advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

-Grorx
Grorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2009, 14:40   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Help! Tau vs Blood Angels

I would replace the kroot with another devilfish to become more mobile. I would suggets you load up on plasma rifles and fusion blasters for the suits and if you don't have enough points, ditch one of the sheild drones. They are only really usefull against instant death ranged weapons.
henbobbleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2009, 15:01   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I think your commander must be equiped a cyclic ion blaster and a plasma, and maybe a stimulant injector with shield generator, that give you a model difficult to kill and 2 shield drones, and the other crisis could be a shas'vre with plasma and as you like with a burstcannon or with missile pod if you dont want to be so close

the kroots is a great options but is a difficult unit to use, i sugest you to maintain that unit in reserve until de moment they will be needed, because that unit is easy to kill

and if you can, you may put one more marker drone in the firewarrior team, and i prefer the stealth with burstcannon alone remember one thing, in the number is the strenght, if you roll 6 dice at less one be 2 or 1 meaning 1 marine less each turn, in a common turn you may kill 2 or 3 marines with the stealths.

and use the drone team as a shield to protect your firewarriors.

a broadside is better if he can move an shoot, because many players try to hide their tanks of that kind of weapons, and if you play a down of war mission he may not shoot the first turn.
cracker85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2009, 15:38   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I would first take away the gun drones. Not really needed, except as a speed bump. Drop the marker drone, too many points for this low point game. And I would drop the Kroot. They would be good for assault in numbers, but 12 just will not kill a marine unit.

I would add in, another devilfish. Stay mobile. More Crisis Suits, with missile pods. Force him to make more saves. Plasma might help to deny armor saves.

Also, if you are having trouble with LOS, why is there so much terrain? And, if there is so much terrain, is he making the saves to jump into and out of it? With six models in the jump squad, I can see a few dying to collision with cover.

No. What I am saying is that my Air Support has lots of Ground Cadre.

If a Land Raider dies to a rail gun, and no one was around to see it, does the kill point still exist?
ranzin927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2009, 16:20   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Thanks everyone! I really really appreciate the input.

The terrain question is a good one, actually. We're new to playing WH40k and working on trying to figure out terrain that makes things interesting without biasing against one army or the other too strongly. As of now, I feel like ANYTHING that blocks LOS is biased against the Tau, who need the long range opportunities to shoot, especially with all this jump infantry closing in on me. Any help with that would be appreciated as well.

So far, he has avoided jumping into terrain so that he doesn't have to take collision rolls, but it doesn't seem to be working to my advantage in any way either. Jumping 12" and then getting to assault is a pain, meaning I have to try and stay 18" away from them if possible or risk being assaulted/destroyed. Boo on that. :-\

So it sounds like I need another devilfish then? Any other suggestions for army additions? Thanks again everyone!
Old 18 Feb 2009, 18:12   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

One more suggestion that I might have.

Try to put six inches of cover between you and the assaulting troops. He lands six inches out (Has too or risk the whole collision.) When he assaults, he has to roll the dices to see how far he can get. If he doesn't make six inches, he doesn't move. Shoot him to death.

No. What I am saying is that my Air Support has lots of Ground Cadre.

If a Land Raider dies to a rail gun, and no one was around to see it, does the kill point still exist?
ranzin927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2009, 20:44   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to TimberwolfCY Send a message via MSN to TimberwolfCY Send a message via Yahoo to TimberwolfCY

About 25% of the board should have terrain covering it; one member here posted recently that it helps if before the game, you take terrain and fill up a quarter of the board, and then spread it out. Remember that 40k, with 5th ed, is now "True LoS," meaning that one model can realistically see another, a shot can be taken; in reality, it is very hard to fully block an entire unit due to TLoS.
"They got ded big shooty gunz dat'll kill tons of boyz, but if yer can get near em den you've got a chance. Just gotta make sure you bring loads of boyz, coz you ain't gonna have a whole lot left when you get close enough to crump em." - Warloard Skarmork, The Great Despoiler
TimberwolfCY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2009, 21:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Against Blood Angels: Get rid of the Kroot, the stealth suits, the broadsword, and the devilfish. Put in crisis suits and jump away from him the entire game while shooting him up.
Old 18 Feb 2009, 21:44   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Dang, sounds like I gotta go drop some more cash on some more crisis suits... Curse yee, GW!!!
Old 18 Feb 2009, 22:11   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Lonely Tau

Howdy,

I started with Tau and have only recently been pulling away from them ("recently" being about 6 months :P), but I hope I can still help you a bit.

As mentioned earlier there may be a little bit too much terrain on the board at the time, so if you can manage to get through this little bit you should be able to find some better firing lanes so you get some more concentrated firepower onto the enemy. The first thing I suggest to do with your army though is that you make 3 units of 8 Fire Warriors instead of 2 units of 12. This way while you may have less models per unit (and therefore less fire power per) but you will have a more flexible base of units, and if one gets charged you will still have 2 more units than can jump in afterward to take care of the now stranded marines, or to move back if you need to. Also, as said earlier you can keep the 4 drones together as an assault deterrent or blocking unit for your Fire Warriors, which I would personally suggest, and put them in a central position and move them to whichever units look the most threatened.

The Kroot also have a rather nice niche to fill in this sort of game. Because the unit is so cheap, but the models in it are quite tough of themselves, they can do quite well as either a bunker unit that you can just infiltrate in a position off-center so that either your friend will have to send a unit the take care of them (and thus lessen the amount of units running up to you) or he will have to ignore them, which in turn makes the Kroot a great unit to come from the back and surprise them! I would say that for only 96 points this unit is a definite take, you just need to remember to use it to distract something from the main charge.

Moving past these we need your HQ suit and your basic Crisis suit. In my opinion, you should outfit the basic suit as a Helios pattern (Multi-Tracker, Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster) and the command suit with a Plasma Rifle, Cyclic Ion Blaster, Hard-Wired Multi-Tracker and a targeting array. This will give you some nice anti-marine Firepower, and I would reccomend targeting the smaller squad of assault marines first, as if you get charged by them it won't be as devastating, especially after you get to pop a couple of rounds off on them!

Between the Devilfish, Broadside suit, and Stealths it's all up to what you want to do with them. I would suggest throwing the Stealths in there just as harassment units, but the Devilfish would be useless (as you don't have a unit to transport in it) and the Broadside really doesn't have any purpose other than taking pot shots at whatever it can see.

I would suggest purchasing a couple more Crisis Suits, as those can be pivotal against any given unit you will see with Marines. Another thing I would suggest is choosing a style between Hybrid or Mechanized, as both can be effective, and both will dramatically alter further purchases. Either way you go though, a Hammerhead wouldn't be amiss in the army, and an Ion Cannon is great against basic marines or more expensive units.
Originally Posted by coolmule
I wear a y'xa'uuk pretty dress, suggestively tilt my tankard of beer, and it's all "bet this" and "persuasion that". Mianko wakes up, grabs a photo, and everyone's mesmerized. What the y'xa'uk do I have to do to earn affection????
Hey baby, what're you doing this weekend? :-*
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmule
Tiwaz is my new forum favourite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager Zero
This is the kind of man who has to shave out eyes and a nose every morning before work. :P
Lonely Tau is offline   Reply With Quote