Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Coming back, need some Directing!
Old 18 Feb 2009, 11:52   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to spacmarine2000
Default Coming back, need some Directing!

Right so here's the story, the tale, the yarn as you will;

Firstly, I used to come on these forums quite a bit, and its real nice to see their still here and friendly as ever! I kinda left for a long while since I went of GW for a bit, had other commitments and other stuff to spend my now well earned cash on, but now I'm back and looking to continue my little 500pts of Tau I've recently finished. Thing is I kinda need some direction as to what to purchase and add to the list next really, how can I make my Tau grow? I've played with my 500pts a few times and generally had good results, pretty good results to be honest, but now I feel its time to develop my little force some more. So here's the list, feel free to criticize and improve what exists anyway, cause I highly doubt its anything perfect

HQ - Shas'el, Cyclic Ion Blaster, Plasma Rifle, Hard Wired Multi Tracker, Targeting Array 100pts
Troops - 2x6 Fire Warriors, 1 squad with Drone Controller and Marker Drone, 1 squad Bonded, both squads with photon grenades 232pts
Troops - 10 Kroot, 2 Hounds 82pts
Heavy Support - Broadside Shas'vre, Railguns and Smart Missiles, Hard Wired Multi Tracker, Advanced Stabilisers 95pts

Total - 509pts

I know there's a child board for lists, but I thought it better to go here as the main reasoning is to ask for advice on my next move, so please mods; spare me from the smiting :-\

So the list I use at the moment I mostly use I spose as a kind of a mixed force, but more static than mobile in many ways, and so because of that improving mobility might be a direction to take in the future. I mostly try and infiltrate my kroot close enough to the enemy to tie them up for a bit while I slowly advance my Fire Warriors on the objective for instance, supporting from a distance with my suits, taking potshots at any vehicles or infantry in range and bringing the commander in around the objective if things get a bit hairy. Hope that helps

Look forward to hearing your opinions and so on, cheers, Spacmarine2000

Listening to: Roundabout [Live] - Yes

Add me if you like, the more the merrier! http://www.myspace.com/oh_pwndizzled
spacmarine2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2009, 12:24   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun
Default Re: Coming back, need some Directing!

Yeah I'd definately add some mobility, but also with fifth edition, I still like XV8's as elite choices, for higher point games (if you decided to up the points level) I'd say, that investing in a squad or two of XV8's is well worth it.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2009, 12:28   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Hmmmm. Well, you've got a decent core of units there. If this is a question of models, I would say buy a skyray box. It has all the pieces necessary to make the skyrary, hammerhead, or devilfish, including the smart missiles for the trusty warfish. If you want to build the core units, a Tau battleforce is a good deal for more good, reliable models. Kroot hounds are expensive, unfortunately, but stat-wise they rock. Unfortunately, you need a respectable number of them to be effective: probably at least 6 or so.

For list modifications, I would drop the marker drone and photon grenades from the fire warriors. Marker drones are expensive in any list, and particularly bad investments at 500 points. It's much cheaper to give a markerlight to the fire warrior squad leader. Your commander is packing my favorite weapon combination (although I usually run a shas'o), so all I would change is getting him a shield drone or two unless he's going to spend most of the game attached to a fire warrior squad.

At low points like this, you should look into playing under the Combat Patrol rules since standard ones don't work so well until you hit 1000 points or so. Unfortunately, combat patrol forbids much of the good stuff for Tau: all our heavy support choices besides sniper drone teams, and crisis commanders. It's still a good, quick way to play the game, and great for getting the feel of an army.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2009, 13:16   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to spacmarine2000

Right so, XV8 elites, drop the marker drone, shield drones for the commander and a Skyray box. Also, the more Kroot Hounds I think'd be a good idea personally for filling out my kroot a bit, so thanks for pointing me that way A devilfish was also on my mind, maybe get one with another small 6 man Fire Warrior squad at about 161pts? With the skyray box can you make the turrets for all three units and change them on the hop or is it just choose between one of the three cause there aren't enough bits?

Cheers, Spacmarine2000

Add me if you like, the more the merrier! http://www.myspace.com/oh_pwndizzled
spacmarine2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2009, 14:11   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacmarine2000
Right so, XV8 elites, drop the marker drone, shield drones for the commander and a Skyray box. Also, the more Kroot Hounds I think'd be a good idea personally for filling out my kroot a bit, so thanks for pointing me that way A devilfish was also on my mind, maybe get one with another small 6 man Fire Warrior squad at about 161pts? With the skyray box can you make the turrets for all three units and change them on the hop or is it just choose between one of the three cause there aren't enough bits?

Cheers, Spacmarine2000
You should be able to swap between the 3 with minimal difficulty. One thing I'd think about, if you want this to be a dedicated Hammerhead or Sky Ray with Burst Cannons, you can just get a standard 'Fish for a little cheaper and use the SMS that come with the 'Head for your 'Fish... Just a thought (and what I plan to do)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.
Charistoph is offline   Reply With Quote