Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

I suck with Tau! Any Advice?
Old 18 Feb 2009, 04:46   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default I suck with Tau! Any Advice?

Okay, I started playing Warhammer 40k with Tau. When choosing Tau I knew it was going to be a rough road, my friend plays Nurgle CSM, Tyranid, and one is starting 40k with Guard. I've played games against them, and as aspected, I have little success in scoring a victory.

I'm getting rather discouraged, but I'm trying to find ways to be more crafty with Tau, however my opponents are seemingly better equipped at me. I try my best to adapt, but it seems I always have to be extremely lucky (Which unfortunately, NEVER happens) to score a victory. Take for example, my most played opponent is my friend who plays Nurgle CSM, He somehow always manages to go first and uses two obliterators with las cannons and they take out my hammerheads/Crisis Suits, managing to cripple of having any sort of anti-vehicle power. In other cases if I load up on Fire Warriors, he uses his Chaos Biker to assault me first turn, killing nearly, if not, ALL of my troops consolidating from one to another. And in a more recent 500 point game, he sacrifices his Sergeant to summon a Greater Daemon, which basically kills everything I have on the field.

My Entire Tau Army Consists of:

24 Fire Warriors
4 Crisis Suits
1 Hammerhead (2, Since I barrow one from a friend)
5 Pathfinders
1 Devilfish
12 Kroot
3 Stealth Suits
Handful of Gun Drones

Am I not being not tactful enough? Is it my army? Or is Tau not that powerful in 5th edition? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I would really want to score a win for once.

O o
/Ż/___________________________ _________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH LAZAH BLAAAAAAHHH!!!
\_\ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Einhander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2009, 04:55   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: I suck with Tau! Any Advice?

What kind of terrain are you playing with, enough? Twenty five percent of the board should be covered with terrain from line of sight blocking buildings, to marshes, and barricades. Easiest way to tell if you have enough is to fill one quarter of the table with terrain before the game starts. Then take turns placing the terrain around the board. During deployment you should always have the mindset that you aren't going first, so things like skimmers and suits should be hidden behind cover, or at least be getting cover saves.

In 5th you also can't consolidate into another unit after winning in close combat. This helped out the Tau a lot, because that used to happen to my troops last edition. Now he'll kill those six fire warriors and then have the other thrity shoot him to death.

The best way to deal with nurgle is to take weapons that deny feel no pain (FNP). You need to bring plasma, railguns, and fuision to the fight. Massed fire does little to damage them.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2009, 05:02   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

To Scoutfox, we've been playing with very BARE terrain. We're only using a box of small LOTR ruins from GW, which barely blocks LOS and barely gives any cover. Thanks for the heads up for the tip by the way.

O o
Old 18 Feb 2009, 05:08   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander
And in a more recent 500 point game, he sacrifices his Sergeant to summon a Greater Daemon, which basically kills everything I have on the field.
Wow... That is anything but a friendly game...

OK, if I were you I would pick up another Railgun. Broadsides or Railheads, pick your choice.

Also buy a box of Chaos Hounds, and then make them into Kroot Hounds.

If you can, buy a Skyray. From this kit you can make any of the Tau "Fish" chassis, DF, HH, or SR. I would suggest starting with the DF. Make sure your Pathfinder's Devil Fish is being reallocated to your Fire warriors.

Also bulk up on suits. Follow Scoutfox's advice and pick up some nasty anti-MEQ weapons, and bulk out that Stealth Team.

Post up your list (with your total points limit) if you can, we can help go over it with you.

Edit: Oh, grab more terrain. Also think about re-reading the rules. And take your models to your favorite local game store a few times, and play with some other players. I have a feeling that your "friend" is not really being honest in the game with you.
Scorefish = Devilfish + 6 Fire Warriors. It is a Scoring Devilfish.
1337green1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2009, 05:27   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

If he is using marines and las cannons then I would suggest a CiB on your commander since it will hit a good bit and on a 6 too wound will take care of a nurgle marine. Add a plasma rifle too it and your commander should start dropping the marines every turn.
Disruption pods and cover will help protect your units from his lascannons so make sure you get enough terrain on the table.
Ion cannons for the hammer heads would drop marines pretty well and be cheaper with the extra points you could get some seeker missiles and try too nuke the bikers off the table. If he uses land raiders then you might want railguns but if not a ion cannon can deal with most everything else.
Old 18 Feb 2009, 05:44   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Points List:

500 Points Set-up

2 X 9 Fire Warriors (Shas'ui, Bonded) = 220 pts

Devilfish (Disruption Pods) = 85 pts

3 X Crisis Suits (Shas'ui, Fire Knives, One having Shield generator) = 211 pts

TOTAL: 496

I'll post up 1000 points soon.

O o
Old 18 Feb 2009, 06:12   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

Crisis suits and devilfish man, Personally I always go mounted. good firepower and great mobility, that's always the way to go.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2009, 06:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Are you playing with the combat patrol rules, or using regular rules with standard the force organization chart (FOC)? At such a small point value I would suggest using combat patrol missions until you get to 750 points and over. There are some units that are almost impossible to kill with so few options per army. Plus no one likes seeing land raiders/C'tans/special characters in 500 point games.
scoutfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2009, 06:25   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

if you cant kill it, get a bigger gun... the first rule of war hehe.

Most of what you have is good against mild infantry. Crisis teams etc.. hammerheads, <shrugs> vroadsides are the things that kill nurgle marines, or greater daemons.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 Feb 2009, 12:11   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

actually don't most CSM have that eternal warrior rule? So that you can't deny FNP?
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote