Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Best Equipment to add on?
Old 17 Feb 2009, 13:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Best Equipment to add on?

I have been trying to learn the codex for Tau as I am new with them. However, I have trouble with the equipment add ons, specifically trying to figure out which ones arw worth it.

On the crisis suits I run HW Multi-Tracker, HW Drone Controller w/ 2 Shield Drones and Targeting Arrays. My commander takes a Shield Generator instead of the Targeting Array.

On Firewarriors I run a Shas'ui, Markerlight, Bonding Knife, HW Target Lock, and Photon Grenades.

Are these the best upgrades I should be investing in, or are there others that I am perhaps over-looking their value?

Thanks,
F-C

Reductor General Aetos and the Ad Mech - Ordnance like rain.

Wins Losses Draws
Ad Mech 0 3 2

"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." - Douglas Adams
Full-choke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2009, 13:54   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Best Equipment to add on?

looks good but you might want to consider running a marker drone instead of a markerlight in you FWs so then they can benifit from it as well. I would also drop the grenades as you want the enemy to mash your troops in round 1 of combat so you can then shoot at them. Otherwise your troops will die in your turn and the attacking troops can charge another unit.
henbobbleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2009, 14:08   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

So you are saying if I get into an assault situation, drop them...because I would much rather have them all day rather then some live? I want to make sure I am following this right...it makes some sense...just not great with tactics yet as I haven't played any games with them.

F-C

Wins Losses Draws
Ad Mech 0 3 2

"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." - Douglas Adams
Old 17 Feb 2009, 14:29   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Yes, the basics of it are that Tau are horrible in close combat, so first, you should never make an assault unless it is to wipe out one or two lone stragglers in the last turn of the game. Because you want to maximize your shooting, if your opponent assaults you and wipes out your troops, on your next turn, you will now be able to shoot at the enemy unit, as in 5th edition he can't follow up into another unit. IF you had the photon grenades, your fire warriors would have a chance to survive (not win) the combat and stay locked with the enemy. Then, after your shooting phase, during your assault phase, he would most likely wipe out the rest of your troops and be fresh and ready to go for another assault when his turn starts up.
auxiliary priest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2009, 15:26   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Ok, I am following you now...and that makes really good sense. That sucks though, because I had a really nice list made out and now it is pretty much screwed...oh well.

F-C

Wins Losses Draws
Ad Mech 0 3 2

Old 17 Feb 2009, 15:34   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-choke
On the crisis suits I run HW Multi-Tracker, HW Drone Controller w/ 2 Shield Drones and Targeting Arrays. My commander takes a Shield Generator instead of the Targeting Array.
So you run monat suits with the team leader upgrade. Right?? Otherwise your suits are illegal.

Quote:
On Firewarriors I run a Shas'ui, Markerlight, Bonding Knife, HW Target Lock, and Photon Grenades.
For your shas'ui you also need a HW multitracker. This way you can shoot your pulse weapon and the markerlight at the unit targeted...might sound stupid but an extra shot is an extra shot.

I agree with the dropping of the photon grenade. Yuor WS is so horrible you don't want to drag the combat, you want to die quick on HIS turn, so as to be able ot shoot them to kingdome comes.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2009, 17:39   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
So you run monat suits with the team leader upgrade. Right?? Otherwise your suits are illegal.
Yes, sorry, I probably should have put that in there. I am just having trouble trying to learn tactics and match the best suited equipment to how to play them. Tau are going to be a HUGE learning curve for me. I started on Space Marines and moved on to a fandex for Ad Mech. So tactics and playing style are going to be extremely different for me. I wanted to start with Tau but everyone told me they suck...so I finally said screw their opinions and I am going to play them!

F-C

Wins Losses Draws
Ad Mech 0 3 2

Old 17 Feb 2009, 17:40   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Good for you.

Yes Tau have a steep learning curve, still learning myself, but they do offer a fun challenge and a different approch.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2009, 17:50   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

Quote:
I have been trying to learn the codex for Tau as I am new with them. However, I have trouble with the equipment add ons, specifically trying to figure out which ones arw worth it.

Are these the best upgrades I should be investing in, or are there others that I am perhaps over-looking their value?

Thanks,
F-C
Your commander looks fine. You've got a good handle on the best crisis suit weapons to use. On the other hand your fire warrior Shas'ui is all loaded up with useless gear. Honestly the only gear worth taking on the Shas'ui is the bonding knife. Everything else is useless. The markerlight is worthless because you cant use it to support your own squad. That and the fact that it only hits on a 4+. And granted you can use it to support other squads but then the whole process of providing markerlight support to other squads becomes complicated because to use the marker light you need to use 2 squads of fire warriors stationary for a turn.

Now to put it in perspective your shas'ui team leader as you configured him is 40 points. That's 40 points for a ballistic skill 4, 4+ armor save, toughness 3 fire warrior. That's pretty worthless. drop the marker light and the target lock. If you need marker lights then get pathfinders.

Also, drop the photon grenades. They make your fire warriors worse. If you get assaulted you're not going to win that combat anyway. So you really want them to just get wiped out so that you can shoot them next turn. If you take the photon grenades then your opponent is less likely to wipe out your fire warriors in a single turn of combat. Which makes it more likely that you're going to lose in your own turn. Which means that your opponent will then be able to consolidate and then charge again in their own following turn.

It's a little complicated to understand when you're new, but trust me, all the information is correct.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneguard
Yes, sorry, I probably should have put that in there. I am just having trouble trying to learn tactics and match the best suited equipment to how to play them. Tau are going to be a HUGE learning curve for me. I started on Space Marines and moved on to a fandex for Ad Mech. So tactics and playing style are going to be extremely different for me. I wanted to start with Tau but everyone told me they suck...so I finally said screw their opinions and I am going to play them!

F-C
Good for you indeed. I will say that considering the current power level of some of the newer books like Space Marines, Orks, Chaos Daemons, and the up and coming imperial guard book playing Tau is an uphill battle and you have to be very good to compete with Tau. They've always had a steep learning curve but they can really throw opponents for a loop with our maneuverability. Opponents that can outmaneuver us can generally be outshot by us. It's a balance.

Some things to watch out for....

Drop Pod Marines: They can outmaneuver you pretty badly and be in your deployment zone on turn 1. If you deploy anything on the table agaisnt them then you've already lost. If you play drop pod marines dont deploy anything on the table and bring your entire army in from reserve. It's the only way to not get trapped in your own deployments zone.

Ork Nob Bikers: They're friggin' invincible! I've had a game where I fired my entire army at them for 2 straight turns and only killed about 4 of them. It was the worst thing that's happened to me in a game of 40k. The only real way to beat them is to set up the terrain so that all of your stuff is on top of buildings. Nob Bikers cant assault you there because you're on top of a building and bike units cant get there.

Necrons: Necrons have always been problematic for the Tau. With we'll be back and their 3+ armor save there isn't much we can do to them with shooting. We could take away their we'll be back with instant death weapons but we really dont have that many. Just try to make them phase out. That's really the only recommendation I can make.

Anyway, they're a fun army to play against anyone who isn't a complete jerk and tailors his list to beat you. I wish you good luck.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2009, 18:17   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

So you guys are pretty much eating my lists alive, lol. This is the current situation. I have 4 very solid lists that I really like to progress my army in. (I'm sorry, I'm organizing my army this time rather then buying in bulk for Apoc.) I have a 1500, 1750, 2250 and 2500 Point list that I will work on one at a time. As I get everything built and painted for one, I will move on to what I need to do for the rest. But, this is what I need to fill them out.

I have a need for a 5 point upgrade to my commander, so what don't I have that would be of some decent value? Also, the 2250 and 2500 lists have 30 points left over. Kroot are in the 2500, but not the 2250. Otherwise, most of my vehicles have the best of the best, as do the units now that you've helped me out. So where can I put 30 points?

Wins Losses Draws
Ad Mech 0 3 2