Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fire warriors V Pathfinders
Old 16 Feb 2009, 23:47   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun
Default Fire warriors V Pathfinders

Okay I mostly play in 1500 pt tournaments and run 2 6 man teams of FW with a DF each, a mini kroot squad, and a 6 strong unit of pathfinders. I was wondering if I should switch over to 3 X 8 man mounted fish instead and drop the pathfinders. most of my XV-8s are twinlinked in fact all of them are. my commander is a Shas'o so He doesnt need a boost, and I don't think my Broadsides (with TL plasma rifles) or hammerhead need much more of boost.

So the question is this, with small FW units are the Pathfinders really that worth it?
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2009, 00:02   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Fire warriors V Pathfinders

With your list, I would drop the pathfinders. They really aren't needed.
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2009, 00:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

I wouldn't neccessarily say that. I've found that pathfinders almost always pay for themselves if you position them correctly. I dont hit the table without them anymore. The way that I play I need them.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2009, 00:42   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Yes, but look at his list. 2 6man fire warrior teams won't benefit very much from markerlights. Now if they were 12 man teams, that would be another story.
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2009, 00:44   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by leatherback
Yes, but look at his list. 2 6man fire warrior teams won't benefit very much from markerlights. Now if they were 12 man teams, that would be another story.
What else do you have in your list? Crisis suits? They can use the ballistic skill increase. Hammerhead? It can use the reduction in cover save value. There's plenty of uses for them besides just giving fire warriors a ballistic skill increase. I'm just sayin'. Besides, if you've got that few fire warriors then it's good to have them hitting at BS 4 or 5 in an emergency situation where you REALLY need to kill something quick.
Old 17 Feb 2009, 00:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Merqu

Well to be honest removal of cover is, in my opinion [b]the most important thing for Pathfinders... You don't really need them for BS improving, considering all the suits are T/L. But for the Railguns with Vehicle Cover Save and IC/MC able to get cover saves ALOT easier now adays, It's a much better application of them. No matter how much you improve your BS you opponent will still more than likely have a 50% chance of ignoring it anyways.
Merqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 Feb 2009, 02:38   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merqu
Well to be honest removal of cover is, in my opinion [b]the most important thing for Pathfinders... You don't really need them for BS improving, considering all the suits are T/L. But for the Railguns with Vehicle Cover Save and IC/MC able to get cover saves ALOT easier now adays, It's a much better application of them. No matter how much you improve your BS you opponent will still more than likely have a 50% chance of ignoring it anyways.
Twinlinked BS5 is good if you REALLY REALLY REALLY need something dead... but yes, removing cover saves is probably their most important function in 5th edition.
Old 17 Feb 2009, 22:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Yeah, keep the Pathfinders.

Nothing is more frustrating than having your TL Plasma Rifles bounce off some pesky 4+ cover save...

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote