Closed Thread
Old 29 May 2005, 03:43   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default are TAU piranhas good in a game

i got 1 of them and should i get more
Old 29 May 2005, 03:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: are TAU piranhas good in a game

They are about as powerful as a Devilfish, but without the troop carrying ability. Decent against infantry, but lacking against heavier targets.

Remember that they are also Forge World, so not alot of opponants will let you field them.

~Andromidius
Old 29 May 2005, 04:02   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

yes i know but most people think there cool and let me use them for example today
at this store were i play we had a gw tournament and the manger let me use it
Old 29 May 2005, 04:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Important Topics Sticky: Guide to all Forge World Tau and Kroot models
Old 29 May 2005, 05:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to freaky_beef

No, I dont really like the piranhas. They die to easy as well as they only have a single burst cannon.
Old 29 May 2005, 15:51   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

You might want to read up on the special rules, freaky_beef. The TL pulse carbines of the drones have the same statline other than rate of fire as the burst cannon, and can pin foes at medium distance. With the 18" range slot covered, you can swap out the burst can for a fusion blaster for only about +5 pts or so, and move in to do some tankbusting. THe open-topped rule is a killer, but assuming you move over 6" they get the Skimmer Survival boost.
Old 29 May 2005, 21:22   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

The open-topped designation is indeed a killer - it means even with the skimmer rule and taking decoy launchers any damaging hit is going to knock it out of the air 38% of the time. Without the DLs it will be shot down 50% of the time (4+). Since its AV 11 even heavy bolter fire can damage it.

IMO, the piranha is a poor man's landspeeder that's a questionable choice - it eats up a troop slot, it's open-topped, it's not fast moving, and its standard gun is worse than a heavy bolter (though the two drones add a bit more fire power) especially since it forces you to get up close and personal to be in range - all at the same cost as a landspeeder. About the only thing it has over a landspeeder is that its AV 11 which means bolter fire can't bring it down. For 55 pts (b/c the DL is practically mandatory) you could buy 7 more kroot which gives you 7 St 4 attacks at a range of 24" and requires 7 hits to kill. YMMV.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 30 May 2005, 00:20   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo_Pepper
The open-topped designation is indeed a killer - it means even with the skimmer rule and taking decoy launchers any damaging hit is going to knock it out of the air 38% of the time. Without the DLs it will be shot down 50% of the time (4+). Since its AV 11 even heavy bolter fire can damage it.

IMO, the piranha is a poor man's landspeeder that's a questionable choice - it eats up a troop slot, it's open-topped, it's not fast moving, and its standard gun is worse than a heavy bolter (though the two drones add a bit more fire power) especially since it forces you to get up close and personal to be in range - all at the same cost as a landspeeder. About the only thing it has over a landspeeder is that its AV 11 which means bolter fire can't bring it down. For 55 pts (b/c the DL is practically mandatory) you could buy 7 more kroot which gives you 7 St 4 attacks at a range of 24" and requires 7 hits to kill. YMMV.

what happen if it open toped i dont have my rule book hear ? do the drones use it own BS oe the skimmers BS ?

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 30 May 2005, 00:32   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Drone guns use the vehicles BS as long as they are attached, as with all Tau vehicles. Open-topped vehicles have the penalty that all Glancing Hits count as Penetrating Hits, and thus get brought down much more easily.
Old 30 May 2005, 00:58   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuinMyrrath
Drone guns use the vehicles BS as long as they are attached, as with all Tau vehicles. Open-topped vehicles have the penalty that all Glancing Hits count as Penetrating Hits, and thus get brought down much more easily.
so what about the skimmer rule then as long as it moves more then 6" all penetrating count as glancing dose this counter that ?

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Closed Thread