Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Humans in O'Shovah's Enclave
Old 14 Feb 2009, 08:29   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Humans in O'Shovah's Enclave

Hey I remember reading that it was Commander Farsight that convinced the humans left behind in the Damocles Crusade to join the Tau. I was wondering that, while the kroot and vespid allies are absent in the Farsight Enclave, is it possible that humans were included due to this fact.

Acts of Faith - I choose to ignore your reality and substitute my own...for the Emperor.

Glory for the first man to die! CHARGE!
trex238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2009, 09:13   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via MSN to flamedrag
Default Re: Humans in O'Shovah's Enclave

It is possible, but it is also possible to have Vespid and Kroot in Farsight's Enclaves (Fluff-wise, not game-wise) but just in much smaller numbers, especially Kroot. I wouldn't use them in very large teams, or with too many special weapons. Some people who don't read much would probably not like it though.

Salamanders: 8 Wins, 5 Draws, 9 Losses
flamedrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2009, 17:22   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Cool. I'd probably be tossing them into FW squads here & there rather than use the human auxiliaries or toss in a single squad of human FWs. The former could add to the rag tag feel that I kinda envision the Enclaves having.

Acts of Faith - I choose to ignore your reality and substitute my own...for the Emperor.

Glory for the first man to die! CHARGE!
trex238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2009, 20:52   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'd have to say very unlikely.

"Each must find their own way. If those in our heartland had witnessed the savageries of the void as we they would know this. The hand of each of the great starfarers is turned against the other; none will join their strength together just to see their ancient enemies prosper. Neither should we."
- Attr Commander Farsight 765.M41

Straight from the codex word for word. To me at least it's politely coded language saying that the Tau should, "Kill them all, nits breed lice."

"Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..." ~ Terry Pratchett
ParadoxRifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2009, 02:50   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Tralfagar Send a message via MSN to Tralfagar Send a message via Yahoo to Tralfagar

I would disagree with that Paradox; to me it is saying that each of the (other) factions will not band with another because it would strengthen both factions. The first and last sentences seem to suggest the Tau should do the opposite; ally themselves with the natural denizens of the world they inhabit...just as long as it doesn't come back to bite them in the butt.
Codex: Farsight Enclaves(me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGator
The divide between what gets put up on an art gallery and what gets you thrown in jail is mostly dependent on the quality of the frame, even though both are just as good for fapping.
Tralfagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2009, 03:31   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

That's a generous interpretation. Taken by itself, it implies that O'Shovah at the time that the quote was attributed to him believed that any alliances that the Tau offered other races should only be pursued if it was in their own best interests. Yet Commander Brightsword was Farsight's pupil, presumably much in the same way that Farsight and Shadowsun were Puretide's pupils.

We know that Brightsword was reportedly summoned by to T'au shortly after the Nimbosa war to be censured for the remorselessness of his tactics, and that those tactics that included murdering every man, woman and child on the surface of Nimbosa so that the Tau military could properly prepare for the Imperial counterstrike.

All the information that is currently available for O'Shovah's background, doesn't exactly paint a picture of the poster child for inter-species harmony week. If he does have humans under his command then I'd have to say I think that it's only because he's using them and if he's fighting beside humans it's only because there is something in it for himself.
"Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil... prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon..." ~ Terry Pratchett
Old 15 Feb 2009, 15:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

well- lets look at farsights history a little passed the codex-

On Kronos Commander Bluestar, a subordinate to O'shova, is extolling the use of Vespid in congress with Kroot in order to successfully defeat the Ork infestation there. If we are to assume that Kronos was one of the worlds Farisght fought on before disappearing we could deduce that there was at least a population of allied aliens in his Coalition.

Lets look back at the quote, and Paradox you are correct- it seems O'shova prefers a heavy handed approach to the rest of the Galaxy as he see's what is 'really all about'. And I agree with this summation, concluding that Farsight doesn't think that assimilation is going to work beyond the Gulf.

And that last part is the crux of my argument:

"each of the great starfarers is turned against the other..."

Well, that means the Orks- the Imperium- the Eldar, all the playable races in 40k. I would say that while O'shova might have distrust and be jaded as a result of his endless campaigns, I don't think that means he has lumped the other Cluster races in with the greater galaxy. Essentially- O'shova thinks the Tau and the Empire knows best and the lesser races should be joined since the larger will NEVER submit- which is contrast to what T'au and the 'nexus' believes is still possible.

Additionally- it never says that Brightsword killed every man woman and child, its just he never offered an opposing Imperial regiment a chance to surrender, wiping them out.

I would go on and say that humanity is a mystery to the Tau- and a lot of my personal fluff is wrapped up in this. What defeats humanity forces it to adapt (look at the ork influences on human culture like the diggas) while humans in the Empire have adapted fully. Yet the Imperium does not submit, only pieces of it do, which must be flustering for the Tau as other species usually ALL join- making Humanity seem duplicitous. I would say that many commanders don't exactly know how to approach the human problem.
Old 15 Feb 2009, 17:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Doombringer Send a message via MSN to Doombringer Send a message via Yahoo to Doombringer

@ Calmsword

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau Empire Codex, pg. 15
Led by Commander Brightsword, the full weight of the Tau fell upon Nimbosa, and the colonists fought to the last, not a single soul surviving the final attack.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cities of Death, pg. 56
With the majority of Imperial Guard and Imperial Navy units redeployed to fight the Tyranid threat, the Tau landed a vast invasion force on Nimbosa. Commander Brightsword, the leader of the Tau, set about the systematic extermination of the populace.
Brightsword committed genocide, plain and simple.

Regardless of that, however, this is probably not a good indication of what Farsight's motives are. Brightsword is known to have used a vast augment of alien mercenaries, ranging from Kroot (used on Nimbosa) to human mercs, tallerians, galgs, and other exotics (Kill Team). As a matter of fact, his reliance on such a large contingent of auxiliaries proved to be his downfall, as it was impossible to administrate so many with any measure of real security, and a large contingent of loyal Imperial Guard had infiltrated his ranks and assisted in his assassination on Es'tau...

"The nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors, will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." - Anonymous

"Doombringer, you are my hero." - Lord-General Thunder

Doombringer

Doombringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 Feb 2009, 20:42   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doombringer
Regardless of that, however, this is probably not a good indication of what Farsight's motives are.
His current motives are inscrutable due to the the wild card factor of the Dawn Blade, but I think it's still important to understand that before the events on Arthas Moloch that all the information points towards Farsight being a bit of a ruthless bastard whose priorities put the Tau above all other considerations.
Old 17 Feb 2009, 04:20   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

ah- you know what threw me- it was that the human populace resisted, the use of the word genocide inspires death camps in the minds eye- i would imagine that the humans on nimbosa chose to fight the tau to the last- and brightsword obliged.

but doom is right, it does say the populace- i guess that's every man-woman and child huh- odd.