Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Multi-tracker on vehicles - is it worth it?
Old 13 Feb 2009, 22:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Multi-tracker on vehicles - is it worth it?

I have been starting out on Tau and reading through the 'dex. There is one vehicle armoury option that I can't decide if I should take or not. Is the Multi-tacker worth it to put on vehicles? It just seems like they could be better used somewhere else.

So, are they worth taking? If you do take them, on which vehicles do you use them the most?

Thanks,
F-C

Reductor General Aetos and the Ad Mech - Ordnance like rain.

Wins Losses Draws
Ad Mech 0 3 2

"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." - Douglas Adams
Full-choke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2009, 22:20   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect
Default Re: Multi-tracker on vehicles - is it worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-choke
I have been starting out on Tau and reading through the 'dex. There is one vehicle armoury option that I can't decide if I should take or not. Is the Multi-tacker worth it to put on vehicles? It just seems like they could be better used somewhere else.

So, are they worth taking? If you do take them, on which vehicles do you use them the most?

Thanks,
F-C

Ooooh yes, they're worth it.

On Hammerheads and Skyrays, its the difference between being able to move more than 6" while still providing offensive output (generally speaking, that'll be a Railgun shot or Ion Cannon shots), and having to choose between defensive (4+ to hit in close combat if you move less than 6", automatic hits if you don't move, 6+ to hit if you move over 6") and offensive (fire all weapons if you don't move, or fire 1 weapon if you move 6" or less) maneuvers.

Plus, with a 12" move, you can speed over to an open fire lane against a high-priority target and still get to make a shot.

Edit: Whether they're worth it for Devilfish depends heavily on how you use them - if you're tank-shocking things off objectives, I'd prefer Sensor Spines (if you only have X points to spend...), while if you're using it for FoF or as a Warfish, the MT adds some very mobile firepower.
Old 13 Feb 2009, 22:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Totally agree with the above post!

I take it on all my vehicles.

You have a very mobile army with lots of fire power whilst moving 12".

Devilfish moves 12" drones detach and form shield 2" in front of DF, FW unload and if you are then within 12" of the enemy you can shoot 29 st5 shots with two being pinning and TL!

If you are assaulted next turn the worst they can do is kill your drones, then you get to shoot at them again or load up and move somewhere else!

Roland
Old 13 Feb 2009, 22:45   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

two drones out infront of any tau vehicle will not stop your opponent from charging the vehicle. First off they either ignore the drones and thus in the assualt phase they can move with an inch of the drone to make it to the vehicle or they simple charge both the vehicle and the drones.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2009, 23:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

It's the key feature that separates our heavy skimmers from other skimmers and tanks of similar stature. It is also fun to see a Railhead roll 12" and shoot another 72" overkill on the range but sure it's fun and annoys the opponent somewhat. :P
MentosMkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 Feb 2009, 23:33   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyena031
two drones out infront of any tau vehicle will not stop your opponent from charging the vehicle. First off they either ignore the drones and thus in the assualt phase they can move with an inch of the drone to make it to the vehicle or they simple charge both the vehicle and the drones.
Your right it doesn't always work but it makes it harder to get at the DF unless they are really close already.

Roland
Old 14 Feb 2009, 01:24   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

The Drones count as Defensive Weapons anyways, so that means that a Devilfish with a Multi-Tracker can fly 12" and still Fire Everything. If you invest in a warfish, you're trading a bit of mobility for more firepower.

Either way, the Multi-tracker is essential.
Wyvern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2009, 01:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

IMO no tau vehicle should ever leave the base without both a multi-tracker, and a Disruption pod. For what it does the disruption pod is WAY WAY WAAAY Underpriced.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2009, 01:30   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Okay, you guys have convinced me to take multi-tracker. But now you are confusing me...I'm a noob with tau so please forgive my stupidity here. What is a warfish?!?! I don't remember seeing that name ANYWHERE...but I am only part way through the codex...

And I agree on the disruption pod...

F-C

Reductor General Aetos and the Ad Mech - Ordnance like rain.

Wins Losses Draws
Ad Mech 0 3 2

"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." - Douglas Adams
Full-choke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 Feb 2009, 01:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

Devilfish with SMS, Multi-tracker, and Disruption pod. Gnasty little transport compared to other armies, but doesn't pack much of the hard hitting power of others. what it does offer over other armies is a 12", 7 Str5 shots if you don't move over 6", 4 shots that can fire with ZERO line of sight, more durability, thanks to the DP, than most vehicles that I know of. a 12 troop carring capacity. Seeker missiles if you so wish. Basically a fast mobile heavy machine gun with 12 troops that can move over lakes others cannot.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote