Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Why are the suits so small?
Closed Thread
Old 28 May 2005, 23:26   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to jhrovii
Default Why are the suits so small?

Why are the Tau battlesuits so small? Modelwise, I mean. They're what, barely double the size of a firewarrior? I thought the suit is supposed to be a homage to Gundam Seed...(ie- it's really big) In the codex art it is, at least...
Old 28 May 2005, 23:41   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Why are the suits so small?

Hmm. I made a topic like this concerning all the size comparisons and such.

Well, the pic on the BattleForce box has a giant CS in the background right? Actually, I think its pretty close to the FW's. If you compare the FW's on the pic to the CS(saying they are about a couple feet away), then its almost a perfect proportion to the models.

Also, one of the fluff pics with the Farsight guy and his CS, they are the same proportion to the models.

If CS's were as large as a Gundam, they would be as strong as Titans.
Old 28 May 2005, 23:54   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Then how does the fire caste fit inside the torso?
Old 29 May 2005, 00:06   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Probably by crunching up into a fetal position and have the controls from there... ^-^
All in all...I'm not too sure...
Old 29 May 2005, 00:11   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandmaster jhrovii
Then how does the fire caste fit inside the torso?
Who says the Fire Caste has to fit in the torso alone?

I think that you are presuming that the Fire Warrior does fit in the torso as thats how SM Dreadnoughts are. So think of it this way, its a Battlesuit, the key to that being its a suit, so its worn. As such the FWs legs go into the Crisis legs (partially anyway), as do the arms go into the Crisis arms (partially again) and the head into the Crisis head. That way the Fire Warrior doesn't have to be entirely in the torso meaning that the scale itself is not wrong. Thats my take on it anyway, though i could be wrong.

Edit: It is quite clear that the Fire Warrior would not fit into the battlesuit properly, due to the dimensions. So one would presume that these other parts were controlled either using sensors or remotely.

Ignore the above, i haven't read the Fire Warrior book...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau-killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Winston Churchill on 23rd August 1940
Never in the field of human satire were so many made to feel so humble by so much acid wit
GOT IT! Thatís the one. Just sums RJay up perfectly!
Old 29 May 2005, 00:16   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hm....Can't argue with that RJay...Kudos! ^-^
Old 29 May 2005, 00:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Personally, from how the fluff describes suits and how they work and all, I always thought the XV8 suit was too big as a model. The stealthsuits make sense with their size. But the Crisis always seemed way to big to me. It's huge as a model. So huge that people were surprised to see that game-wise, they're about the same as a Marine, yet double the size (of course marines are super power in fluff, but on the board is what I mean). XV-88's make sense to me too, but the Crisis always just seemed "large" to me. I would love to shave them down to about 70% of their original size to make them seem more close to what I would expect.
Old 29 May 2005, 00:17   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well, A'u'nat is right. They are very squished in to the torso but dont mind. Inside is a foamy liquid that fills the inside of the torso. The guy does not feel anything because his brain is somewhere else. There are no controls inside of the suit. A needle is stabbed into his skull to his brain so he can control it with his mind. All the Crisis' sensors are then senses of the pilots. They do not have the "no pain" rule because Tau value life or something like that. If the Crisis gets shot in battle, for example the leg shot off, when the pilot comes out, he can not use the same leg on his own body for a while.

Edit- The CS is not really worn as a suit. The model is a perfect proportion to the FW. There is a* GW model with a FW inside of the suit. If the suit was worn, the legs would reach the knees, and the arms would reach the shoulders. Here are the heights of the FLUFF troops WITH armour on (according to a large group of people on another forum)

Fire Warrior- 4.5 - 5.5 ft.
Space Marine- 8 - 9 ft.
Terminator- 9 - 10 ft.
Crisis Suit- 11-12 ft.
Kroot- 6 - 7 ft.
Tau Earth Caste- 4 - 5 Ft
Tau Air Caste- 6 - 7 Ft.
Imperial Guard Troop- 5.5 - 7 Ft
Old 29 May 2005, 00:23   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Great post Mal, but I'll have to disagree with the Crisis Suits looking so "big"...one actually has to be that size inorder to pack around 3 Hardpoints of equipment! ^-^

Kudos on the post Th3n4m31zm1k3!
Old 29 May 2005, 00:25   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Wait, Thenameismike, where did you find that info?
Closed Thread