Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Second Time at GW....
Closed Thread
Old 28 May 2005, 20:54   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Second Time at GW....

:-\ Today I went to GW with my friend for the second time. This was one of our first games of 40k. My friend and I were totally destroyed.

My Tau list included( did not use everything in the second game)

HQ
-Shas'el Fireknife

Elite
-2 Fireknife Crisis
-1 Fusion, plasma, Crisis

Troops
-12 FW
-12 FW
-12 Kroot

Fast Attack
-8 Gundrones

Heavy
-Railhead, SMS, multi, tl, decoy

My teammates included

HQ
-Librarian

Troops
-10 SM missile launcher, flamer
-5 SM missile launcher, flamer
-Rhino

Fast Attack
-5 Assault marines with jumps

Heavy
-Predator Anihilator

Well anyways, we were doing a team battle with 2 experienced players. They had an Ork army with 2 Kans, lots of bikes, lots of troops, and a bunch of Nobs and Warbosses. The other guy had IG with 4 units of troops, a Basilisk, and another ordnance tank.

We lost verrryyy badly. The Ork player rushed my units with a Wartrak with Nobs and Warboss, and his bikes. He totally destroyed my Kroot, a unit of FW, and moved onto the next unit of FW. Then, his teammate fired his ordnance and destroyed 3 of my Crisis suits.The next turn, I could not shoot into the assault so I had to assault him back... which was totally pointless. I then fired at the bikes with my FW and took all of 7 or 8 of them out. My Railhead took out a bunch of IG troops. My teammate, rolling all ones and twos did nothing. Next turn, everything else in my army was pretty much dead and the downward hill got even steeper for my friend.

Next game, we had 500 points each. The teams were me and my friend vs 3 other experienced players (one of which was reaaaalllly obnoxious, cheated, made sound effects, though highly of his "guessing skills (which he cheated for)" and scratched his crotch alot)

Anyways, the guy I just described had a Warboss, and 4 Nobs all with the best, invulnerable armour on a Wartrak. Once he tank shocked me, half of my units fell back off the board. I railgunned it but the guys inside all survived. Once they started attacking, pretty much everything died.

The first game I played was fair but not fun. There was no skill involved it was just who went first. The second game was totally cheesed to the max IMO. Can anyone help me out? I need ANY help. I dont need specific tactics, or anything. Just ANY help at all. Thank you.

By the way- I had no chance to do much because all their troops and tanks were in cover while I was being bombarded with ordnance and Ork fists.

By the way again- Sorry for the choppiness and messiness of my post. Im pretty mad right now (not because I lost) at the battle.
Old 28 May 2005, 21:37   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Death-Merchant
Default Re: Second Time at GW....

that sucks i would suggest that you take out the gun drones and max out your kroot i don't know alot about Sm so i can't really help ya there but yeah get some stealths too they help alot
Old 28 May 2005, 21:45   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hey Guy, don't be too hard on yourself, after all, it's only your second time @ GW! :-*

Anyways, if you want to help yourself, remember back to the battle and take a look at everything that you and your opponent (and ally in this case) did wrong and right. Make a list and look it over and see where you could improve a little whether it be using cover more effeciently, moving, etc. See what you can do with the list to learn how to improve your weaknesses and exploit your opponents weakness.

I'm not trying to lay any pity on you, nor (as you requested) am I going to give you some tactics. I am just offering to you what you can do to improve yourself.

Keep on playing and eventually victory will be yours! ^-^
Old 28 May 2005, 23:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well, I really couldnt do anything. All his troops were in the back while 4 guys took down my whole army... It feels like the real skill in 40k is getting to move first.
Old 29 May 2005, 00:08   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3n4m31zm1k3
Well, I really couldnt do anything. All his troops were in the back while 4 guys took down my whole army... It feels like the real skill in 40k is getting to move first.
Not true, as the fact that if you move first, you do not get to move last! (Which in some cases can make or break a game) ^-^
You just have to look at your movement phase, that's all for it is the only phase that does not rely on chance, only human error! It is in the movement phase when games are won or lost... :P
Old 29 May 2005, 00:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

We were playing unlimited rounds. The first round, at least half of my stuff died. The second turn I could only assault back because he was assaulting me...
Old 29 May 2005, 00:15   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
We were playing unlimited rounds. The first round, at least half of my stuff died. The second turn I could only assault back because he was assaulting me...
Question: How big was the table? ???
Old 29 May 2005, 00:27   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I dont really know. Medium sized? The space between us was the shorter side because it was getting crowded.
Old 29 May 2005, 00:31   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
I dont really know. Medium sized? The space between us was the shorter side because it was getting crowded.
Roughly around 36" max?
Old 29 May 2005, 00:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Maybe 48 I'm not sure.
Closed Thread