Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Successfully destroyed "ninja tau"
Old 11 Feb 2009, 17:55   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Successfully destroyed "ninja tau"

I post this more as a warning and also a "little" ;D bit to gloat. Today I fought my 2nd ninja tau army (different players and I didnt know it was going to be ninja tau)

I was trying out a witch hunters list I plan on taking to an upcoming tourny. I meet the guy we shoot the breeze and he tells me he is currently 7-0 with his current tau army and is taking it to the same tourny! I am thinking to myself "this will be perfect and great practice"

we set up, he gives me first turn and i realized right away what he was doing. I use "A word in your ear" thanks to my beautiful assassin his hidden commander suddenly is standing on the field in front of my entire army. He didnt live the turn or want to finish the game after that.

Not much of a battle report I know but the game only lasted one turn. So to all ninja tau players be VERY careful fighting against any army with a callidus. That one model can null your entire gameplan.

EDIT: For the sake of discussion (this is a forum after all) How would you counter the callidus or if you lost your general on turn one how would you try to make the come back.
Vicioushellsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2009, 18:57   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via AIM to Wild
Default Re: Successfully destroyed "ninja tau"

What the- Ok, someone needs to be taken out back and shot. I'm not fully familiar with that assassin so I need to know more.
Old 11 Feb 2009, 19:10   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Basically, a Callidus Assassin is capable of deploying anywhere, anytime, and can move one of your units before the game begins. Oh, and it has a cheese-spray AP1 flamer. They're deadly...
Old 11 Feb 2009, 19:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

And so he gave up after turn one?

My first thought is that the rest of his list was faulty.

Ninja Tau played properly are not really a one trick pony. Sure the positional relay is an important piece of wargear, but its like losing your queen in a chess match. If you are good, it is only a setback, not the entire game.

The rest of his Ninja Tau list should have been pretty nasty in its own right.

Give us both list, and we could tell you how we would try to counter this setback, and play it out.
Scorefish = Devilfish + 6 Fire Warriors. It is a Scoring Devilfish.
1337green1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2009, 19:52   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

I do not know the person personally it was a pick up game and since he never actually set up his army ill have to go from what I saw. I believe he had 2 units of kroot with hounds. A full stealthteam (not sure on upgrades) two groups of firewarriors in devilfish, pathfinders in devilfish, oh he had a full squad of 3 twin linked flamer crisis suits. He had some other models such as broadsides and more tanks in his transport case but he was going to just pull stuff out as he was deploying it which i had no problem with.

My list is a mix Sisters with grey knight terminators. Your average mech list of lots of girls/flamers/excorcists with a shooty inquisitor calidus assassin and a 5 strong grey knight terminator squad riding in my inquisitor lords land raider.
Vicioushellsing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2009, 20:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Sound like a sore loser.

From what you give us, he stil had a pretty solid list and could have given you some trouble.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2009, 20:00   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

The assassin can only redeploy one of your units and it must still remaining in your deployment zone.

Pitched Battle & SpearHead deploy vehicles into the enemy fire lanes. Essentially plugging the holes. Now hide your commander behind or in some terrian away from the plugs. This would effectively keep your commander hidden.

In a Dawn of War deployment I would walk my commander on.
Hyena031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2009, 20:06   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to LiinSivi Send a message via Yahoo to LiinSivi

I think your friend put all his eggs in one basket. I play NinjaTau as well and in the past few months have only run into one situation where my Shield'o w/relay got knocked out the first turn (it was my first game of NinjaTau and it was against a jetbike heavy Necron list). Even then with units coming in piecemeal I still managed to pull a draw. I think he should have played it out.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his" --George S. Patton
LiinSivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2009, 20:27   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1337green1
And so he gave up after turn one?

My first thought is that the rest of his list was faulty.

Ninja Tau played properly are not really a one trick pony. Sure the positional relay is an important piece of wargear, but its like losing your queen in a chess match. If you are good, it is only a setback, not the entire game.

The rest of his Ninja Tau list should have been pretty nasty in its own right.

Give us both list, and we could tell you how we would try to counter this setback, and play it out.
Could not have said this better myself

Just because you Commander dies it does not mean you pack up and go home - You still have the rest of the army to come on, all you have lost is the ability to control your reserves. Its a blow yes - but by no means a fatal one!

Just as an example, when I first started developing Ninja Tau (before I even came up with the name ) I made a list and decided to give it a go on one of our battle weekends against a Space Marine player friend of mine. It was the first outing for a full Ninja Tau 5th ed list (I had tried similar lists but on a more Hybrid basis, this was the first time I put the full list together in one and started developing my tactics). My Commander died on the first turn, what followed was a tough (and for me I will admit lucky [with my reserve rolls] fight!) With me having to adapt my plans and play through the game. I won by 1 KP - Here is the battle report: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.ph...748#msg1068748

You don't autolose when your Commander Dies - it becomes tougher, and you have to deal with what the game (and dice) give you. But you still have a strong versatile list, capabale of playing a winning game - He should have played it out, even if just to give himself tournament practice in what to do if his Relay does get popped!
Old 11 Feb 2009, 21:20   #10 (permalink)
Ethereal

It is a weakness of the list that it can rely on a single model for a significant part of its operation, and a strength of the Callidus Assassin that lines up particularly well with that weakness. The assassins are designed to be very effective against armies that focus things in that manner.

It shouldn't be a crippling blow, because the model itself has the same issues as a regular commander. But it does mean you have to be lucky with the reserve rolls.
khanaris is offline   Reply With Quote