Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Death Company, how do you stop them without making a specialized army?
Closed Thread
Old 28 May 2005, 19:08   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Robogem Send a message via MSN to Robogem
Default Death Company, how do you stop them without making a specialized army?

How the heck do you beat these guys without tweaking your army with tons of strength 8 weapons?

Is it just me or is the Death Company way overpowered? I was playing my Tau army at the time and I swear to God with most of my units focusing on taking these guys out, in 3 turrns, I could only kill 5 out of 11 of these stupid guys. I coulda taken them all out almost twice over but he kept on making the 4+ save to ignore the wound. Not only that, they get in your face in 2, maybe 3 turns if your lucky.

3 attacks (4 while charging), 5 strength while charging, being able to move 12 and assault 6, fearless, +3 normal save plus a +4 ignore wound save if weapon, power weapon.

Insane >_<
A hero is only a hero when he or she takes incredible risks. If you prod a tiger with a stick from behind six inches of body armor and an impenetrable shield of force you're not a hero, you're just a jackass.
[/size]
Old 28 May 2005, 19:10   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Death Company, how do you stop them without making a specialized army?

My aging mind fails me...whom are the Death Company? Space Marines or Chaos? :-\
Old 28 May 2005, 20:50   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Re: Death Company, how do you stop them without making a specialized army?

Space marines. My friend plays them. Damn Blood Angels. They're really really hard to kill. The trick is just to shoot at them in volumes. AP doesn't matter since they will still have their +4 save.
Old 28 May 2005, 21:09   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

And if I am correct aren't they usually light on the heavy weapons? If so masses of fire warriors with devilfishes to give them combat protection may be an option...Playing against a different army would solve it as well! I have never played a death company but they look simply too over-powered to me...

Old 28 May 2005, 21:19   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I got 18 shots on them with my stealths and only killed 1, how's that for hard to kill?

They get 4 chances not to be killed by normal weapons. All shots against them by the average unit obviously is halved by our 3 balistics skill, then strength 5 weapons they would get a +3 save, then they get another +3 save, then they get another +4 save.

They are the damned blood angels.
A hero is only a hero when he or she takes incredible risks. If you prod a tiger with a stick from behind six inches of body armor and an impenetrable shield of force you're not a hero, you're just a jackass.
[/size]
Old 28 May 2005, 21:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robogem
I got 18 shots on them with my stealths and only killed 1, how's that for hard to kill?

They get 4 chances not to be killed by normal weapons. All shots against them by the average unit obviously is halved by our 3 balistics skill, then strength 5 weapons they would get a +3 save, then they get another +3 save, then they get another +4 save.

They are the damned blood angels.
That's actually rules? Ouch...but I have to see'm to believe'm... ^-^
Old 29 May 2005, 03:17   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

i played them before and beat them they are the hardest SM ever i had to make a list just for them with dizzy helping me i just use a savlo of seekers 8 with 7 hiting
the rest of the sqaud i think it was like one or two models i just picked off easy

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 29 May 2005, 03:34   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

They aren't that tough.

I'm an ex-Blood Angels player myself, and they never lasted very long. The reason for that is:

1/ there are normally not many of them, due to random selection from the rest of the army.
2/ they are scary: people shoot them alot.
3/ S8 AP3 weapons kill them on a 2+, outright.

The Death Company can be a real hinderance to a Blood Angel's plan, due to the possiblity of losing very expensive models to it. Also the fact that every single models in the army will move towards the enemy on a roll of 1 each turn means that you probably won't get very much incoming fire from the army as a whole.

Be thankful Rhino Rushing isn't possible anymore, that was just mean.

If you're getting charged on turn 2, then you've deployed too close to them. Make sure you deploy way back, and put a single 'bait' squad at the front. Most missions state you can't deploy within 18" of the enemy (which means even with a 12" move and 6" assault they shouldn't be able to reach you on turn 1), so take advantage of that. On turn one, move the bait squad back and unload all your Pulse Rifles at the Death Company. Even with average rolling it shouldn't be a problem for very long.

Battlesuits should have a field day against Death Company, hopping forward 6", unloading mass Burst Cannon/Plasma Rifle fire into them then hopping back. Stealth Teams are especially good at that, especially if you've got some cover to jump behind (just in case they rage an extra 6").

Also, two words: Ion Cannon. It may not instant kill them, but it still negates their 3+ save and wounds on a 2+. Seeker Missiles will, however, instant kill on a 2+, and being only 10pts each they are well worth it...

Just don't get too distracted by trying to wipe them out, because you'll still have to deal with the rest of the Blood Angel army.

~Andromidius
Old 29 May 2005, 05:01   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42
they look simply too over-powered to me...

i played them and bet them
Old 29 May 2005, 07:27   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well, I had to face 11 Death Company in a 1000 point game against my opponent. My list was:

Broadside
Railhead
Devilfish + Firewarrior x 12
Firewarrior x12 + 2 Drones
3x Fireknife
1x Plasma/Fusion Shas'O
6x Stealth

His army entirely comprimised of all troops. Not only did I have to worry about his DC, I had his fricken strength 8 missles to worry about. He didn't even roll a 1 ONCE the entire game for all his squads.

I was utterly exterminated.

It was my first game too though I ever played, also, I'm not sure if he could but whenever I got induvidual (1) wound on his unit he used his commander to save. I'm not sure if you can do that in 4th but I'm not sure where in the reference material it would say that. Then again he hasn't played for a long time so he might be thinking 3e.
[/size]
Closed Thread