Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

HQ variations in 5th edition
Old 09 Feb 2009, 15:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default HQ variations in 5th edition

I was thinking the other day about possible HQ variations for Tau in the new codex. Many have voiced opinions of Commanders needing the option of NOT being in an XV8. What are peoples thoughts on the following?:

- Commander in Firewarrior unit (simular to Ethereal choice)
- Commander in stealth armor.
- Commander in a Devil Fish command centre (modified DF with CCN and other special wargear available)
- Commander in a Piranha with veteran Piranha unit.
- Commander in a Broadside unit and a HQ slotted Broadside bodyguard.

Thoughts?
Old 09 Feb 2009, 15:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: HQ variations in 5th edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col.Angus
Unlikely. FW are the footslogging infantry composed of soldiers('la) and sergeant('ui)

I have a hard time seeing a commander fighting on foot.

Quote:
A possible option, maybe a commander from a pathfinder/stealth unit background. Would open a new kind of game.

Quote:
- Commander in a Devil Fish command centre (modified DF with CCN and other special wargear available)
Another likely option, IMO. Would make some sense to have a mobile command center and one could expect the Commader to "run" it.

Quote:
Maybe-ish. I don't really see a broadside as a good command suit. Suit it's tough, but it has minimal mobility so not useful for the leader who need to be "everywhere" on the field.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Feb 2009, 21:39   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
GW's current push is to use characters for specialized troops and HQs will be how we see any uniqueness here.

I definitely see the option for the required HQ to be able to choose an XV8 or XV2 suit. All other characters will be allowing certain units in as Troops, such as XVs, Pathfinders, or even 'Head hulls. I just hope they make the Ethereal worth looking at besides fluff reasons and just one more reason to put 12 more FWs on the field.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.
Charistoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Feb 2009, 22:02   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
gods i hope not. a tau officer not in a suit is like a deathwing member not wearing terminator armour or a ravenwing marine not on a bike. its a badge of honour.

Quote:
not really my thing.

Quote:
its in the fluff that commanders, when not in crisis suits are mounted as such, but it would be well behind the lines. iirc its called a dragonfish command vehicle. but in terms of frontline commanders, which is what 40k represents, im sorry but i feel they should be there in crisis suits, or not at all.

Quote:
pirahnas are regarded as recon craft, or auxilary transport vehicles. a por'ui will take a trip in one to get to the outpost. certainly, i could see commanders being in one behind the lines (like imperial aquilla landers) but pirahnas are too fragile for command mounts in the frontline.

Quote:
no. does not feel right to me.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Deadnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2009, 00:38   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Call me deathly optimistic, but i kinda hope they come out with an entire new suit line for the HQs, you know suits reserved solely for the fire caste member who reachs such an honorable and powerful position (kind of fluffy, maybe)
I don't know, maybe an XV92? Bigger and more powerful, but still kind f in experimentation. Or an XV78? slightly smaller but fitted with more jets and better reacting sensors to make it a bit more maneuverable?
pretty rash ideas but i man can dream can't he?
Old 10 Feb 2009, 01:05   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via AIM to Unusualsuspect Send a message via MSN to Unusualsuspect

I would love to see Crisis Commanders and Stealthsuit Commanders.

A Commander in a tank would definitely be an interesting concept, but it really should be limited to a Special Character - say, a brilliant commander that was horribly injured while fighting, say, a Warboss with a Power Klaw, to the point where he no longer can operate a battlesuit. His ability to relay his brilliant commands and his grasp of battlefield situations, however, got him semi-permanently plugged into a Hammerhead or Skyray (perhaps with a few experimental bits, like Shield Drones that give +1 AV to the vehicle, or give his leadership to all units except kroot/vespids?) and command of a handful of Cadres.

Edit: Okay, Okay, I just want a BS 5 Railhead without needing ML support. sue me. ;D
Old 10 Feb 2009, 09:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadnight
its in the fluff that commanders, when not in crisis suits are mounted as such, but it would be well behind the lines. iirc its called a dragonfish command vehicle. but in terms of frontline commanders, which is what 40k represents, im sorry but i feel they should be there in crisis suits, or not at all.

Quote:
pirahnas are regarded as recon craft, or auxilary transport vehicles. a por'ui will take a trip in one to get to the outpost. certainly, i could see commanders being in one behind the lines (like imperial aquilla landers) but pirahnas are too fragile for command mounts in the frontline.
What about Ravenwing? They put their commander in a speeder.

Old 10 Feb 2009, 12:38   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

col. angus, they also put him on a jetbike. point was, you don't see samael running around on foot...

Shonsenq, i'd rather see better options for customising commander suits. it seems to me from the fluff, that tau commanders get customised suits. it fits better than experimental weapons and gimmicky wargear.

just give better options for boosting the save, boosting the toughness, the speed (jetbike movement anyone? a tau samael) and weaponry. i remember the 3rd ed ork codex had weapon upgrades like "shooty", "shootier", and "more dakka". a tau example is how r'myr gets a shield generator with a 3+ inv. save in close combat and an assault 2 plasma rifle (as opposed to a 4+ save, and rapid fire plasma)

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Deadnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2009, 14:19   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I agree with you there on the upgrade points. Personally I already modeled my Shas'O to have a more serious looking suit that would likely be classed as a XV9 or 10.

But considdering the emphasis on troops in this addition, why not allow a Shas'o the ability to air out his suit, and plow ahead with a veteran FW unit?

Or allow people who used to play mobilized Tau the chance to have an HQ worthy war-fish? Perhaps as a special character, if not a standard choice.

Shadowsun comes kitted with a stealth suit, but nobody else seems to since her's is experimental. No reason this field test unit couldnt become a more widely produced option in the next codex.

Old 10 Feb 2009, 15:54   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Exactly Angus.

I just hope that some of the Suited characters allow a LITTLE modification. Shadowsun would be far more desirable as HQ if you could change 1 or 2 Drones and the weapon systems a little (and even more desirable if she had a XV25 retinue).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.
Charistoph is offline   Reply With Quote