Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

A railgun as a "dawnblade"?
Old 08 Feb 2009, 07:25   #1 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default A railgun as a "dawnblade"?

I was painting up my kroot when I had this sudden urge to modify my crisis suit.

I had a spare railgun (broadside) and got to thinking.... this would be a pretty bad ass add on.

So I got to thinking what farsight had, he had a blade, a shield generator, and his trusty plasma rifle.

I had one of three set the plasma rifle.

So I looked through my old boxes, and low and behold I find an old chaos circular disc with the 8 star banner (probably a vehicle bit not sure) I looked at the railgun and figured...why not on the "dawn blade"?

So I glued the chaos circular disk on the flat back end of the rail gun. Glued the railgun on the right arm, tilted the crisis head and was like.... 8)

I need to make sure the antennas are added on to finsih it.

but at the end of the day, would you have anything against a single rail gun being used as a dawn blade?
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Feb 2009, 08:43   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: A railgun as a "dawnblade"?

I wouldn't have anything against it as long as you took the time to explain it to me before a game. I wouldn't mind seeing some pictures if you have a camera handy?
shaso_montyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Feb 2009, 10:05   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

working on it ;D

guess I must fib. I took a concept from Front Mission 4, and made it a propelled penetrator rod pushed at massive speed to penetrate armor. I figured it was only appropriate, the railgun being what it is
Old 09 Feb 2009, 22:51   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to runer60000

That should be a permanent add-on in the next codex. the shas'vre team leader in every crisis squad should choose to have a dawn blade(or similar power weapon) as one weapons choice for probably 15 points. that would be so awsome. 8) 8) 8)

But, of course, games workshop probably wont give us anything that cool, they're probably just saving something similar for marines. > > >
Against Tyranids: L2, T1, W0
Against Necrons: L1, T1, W2
Orks: L0, T1, W0
Current Eldar Standings:
Against Blood Angels: L0, T0, W0
Against Orks: L0, T0, W0
Against Tyranids: L0, T0, W2
Against Ultramarines: L0, T0, W3
runer60000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2009, 18:32   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I like the idea. Might think about cutting the rail gun down a little so that it looks more Man portable with out needing the whole assembly that is normally a Broadside. (I assume we mean a broadside rail gun.)

As for the power weapons on our teams.... I play Tau. Explain to me again why I want to get close enough to use a power weapon? I do not understand why I would allow a Crisis Team to get involved in close combat, when they are much better at shooting with a little marker love.

No. What I am saying is that my Air Support has lots of Ground Cadre.

If a Land Raider dies to a rail gun, and no one was around to see it, does the kill point still exist?
ranzin927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 Feb 2009, 21:11   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

despite low initiatives, they can likely be one of the best self supporting units...ala flamers etc...

Get a gundrone, or shield drone to counteract weakness of sweeps, and choose your targets.
Old 10 Feb 2009, 21:48   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsi
despite low initiatives, they can likely be one of the best self supporting units...ala flamers etc...

Get a gundrone, or shield drone to counteract weakness of sweeps, and choose your targets.
Pepsi, you taste great but the explaination is a little less then filling. Maybe I needed to rephrase the question. Since Flamers are shooting, and great for taking out hordes or other squishy targets, why, would I allow a Crisis team to Jump in, shoot the hell out of a target, then not jump back out of range so that I:
A: get assaulted next turn and need to use a power weapon?
B: charge into assault in which, then I would need a power weapon, and tie up a precious elite unit with combat that they will win, but will take a few rounds.

I just think that if I am putting points into an upgrade for a weapon, that it be something that I can use several times in a game, opposed to being entirely situational and more of a one trick pony.

If a Land Raider dies to a rail gun, and no one was around to see it, does the kill point still exist?
Old 11 Feb 2009, 03:16   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to runer60000

basically, you would want to combine a crisis-equipped power weapon with a flamer for cityfighting, or to surprise other players that your actually assaulting! also, im guessing you dont play that often, ranzin. crisis are actually really good in assault. Add a power weapon and you got good close combat for when your kroot have been shot down cause you dont take advantage of cover, noob(thats right, im calling you a noob!)! really, 3 crisis on the charge, thats 9 attacks, even though we have low initiative, i doubt any space marine unit can chew through multiple 2 wound models with 3+ armour, and don't forget any additional drone meat shields. crisis have great potential with power weapons, and besides, it only replaces one weapon, and in case you get charged, that power weapon can shorten the combat by a turn or 2, allowing for what is possibly some game-winning plasma fire.
Against Tyranids: L2, T1, W0
Against Necrons: L1, T1, W2
Orks: L0, T1, W0
Current Eldar Standings:
Against Blood Angels: L0, T0, W0
Against Orks: L0, T0, W0
Against Tyranids: L0, T0, W2
Against Ultramarines: L0, T0, W3
runer60000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 Feb 2009, 03:38   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranzin927
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsi

Pepsi, you taste great but the explaination is a little less then filling.
Thanks I guess ???

thats the nature of the tau.

Everyone has tastes for doctrines, and tastes for personal preferences. Alot of weapons for tau are VERY situational, its the matter of the configuration to the player that makes his or her tau army.

Twin link your weapons, you trade versatility for accuracy
you pick versatility, you trade accuracy, for situation.

of course shas vres, shas `els and shas`os are the exception. These allow for teams to employ ideaology, but concentrate their focus. Two members may have flamers, but the leader a burst cannon.

However you invest to insure the best of all worlds. People dont have one agreed configuration but they like popular ones that work for them.

You may find with crisis suits that configuring a role suited to this would still work. If you feel you are not aiming for a back up option to assault, you may perhaps find more favor in missilepods, or other items.

For me, I could consider a three man team, one supporting gun drones (shield drones <shrugs&gt twin linked flamers, and another ui member with twin linked flamers and a black sun filter. I ask myself is this close enough for marines, and orks etc...? my games have shown that twin linked flamers are nasty, but shas`uis have no real even grace in combat. So why not be able to get a power weapon that takes advantage of the str 5 suits, if we get tied down I might as well try to have a decent ld modifier to save on.

and with outflanking, and run I dont see how you can always get your suits out of the way. Orks will surround you, tyranids just being beasts, space marines will simply weather your shots. If you cant fight surrounded, you need to be able to fight through the front, or stand a shot at least.

Twin linked flamers devastate orks, can make a marine cringe, and all it takes is practice to get the timing down. > then again, im not a "tauy" kind of player ill gladly let a firewarrior team die if it means I can swoop in with my crisis team and burn the hell out of someone.
Old 11 Feb 2009, 16:05   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Quote:
Originally Posted by runer60000
basically, you would want to combine a crisis-equipped power weapon with a flamer for cityfighting, or to surprise other players that your actually assaulting! also, im guessing you dont play that often, ranzin. crisis are actually really good in assault. Add a power weapon and you got good close combat for when your kroot have been shot down cause you dont take advantage of cover, noob(thats right, im calling you a noob!)! really, 3 crisis on the charge, thats 9 attacks, even though we have low initiative, i doubt any space marine unit can chew through multiple 2 wound models with 3+ armour, and don't forget any additional drone meat shields. crisis have great potential with power weapons, and besides, it only replaces one weapon, and in case you get charged, that power weapon can shorten the combat by a turn or 2, allowing for what is possibly some game-winning plasma fire.
Actually Runer, I play at least twice a weak for about close to two years now, against varies opponents. Eldar, Space Marines, Necrons.

I appreciate the element of surprise. Assaulting is very unTauish and can turn things to your advantage. But, have you taken everything into consideration?

Marines normally come in groups of ten. The Marines charge you, they will get at least two attacks and one wound. Times that by 10 and you have 20 attacks and ten wounds, against a unit that is coming in with 6 attacks and 6 wounds. They both have the armor, but the Tau have less toughness, strength, and initiative. Give the Tau the charge, you have 9 attacks to ten, but still the weaknesses of the Tau. I don't have to kill you all. All I really have to do is one wound more then you and I force a ld check with the modifiers tearing the heck out of Tau leadership scores. If you fail that leadership check, you run, and I can almost guarantee, with the low initiative, the marines will sweep advance, killing the suits......just by inflicting one more wound then you, which is easier for them, due to low toughness.

Let's say you do win the CC, and even sweep advance the marines. You do not kill them. Simply CC continues after the Marine player makes a few armor saves and you just lost a precious movement and shooting phase. A movement phase where you could have moved the suits to contest an objective, moved them to a better position to take on that second Marine unit just behind, fallen back to lay down cover fire, the possiblities are endless, but ended if you can not move. A shooting phase, that with the correct weapons, you could have possibly killed more marines then you did in CC.

Let's add a power weapon into the Tau Codex, ok, so you will probably inflict a wound, after the marines inflict theirs. Marines that are designed for CC, and normally those that don't seem to always have a power fist. And, even if you win the CC, again, you lose a shooting phase.

I am a noob. Yes. So noobish I have yet to lose to a marine player and have gone battles against marines, only losing a few shield drones. (Kill missions can let me do that. Mainly 4th edition, but have a few times in 5th too. Objective missions, never could accomplish this. Always took loses.) I just don't see playing to my armies weakness being the way to win a game, with or with out a power weapon. If I feel like ripping things apart in close combat, I'll play my Tyranids.