Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Moving from Tau 3rd edition to Tau 5th edition
Old 07 Feb 2009, 19:23   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Moving from Tau 3rd edition to Tau 5th edition

Ok I've not played 40K since 3rd edition, nor have I played Tau with the new 'Tau Empire' 'dex.

So I'm looking for a few prompts on the differences between 3rd and 5th edition and Tau dex to Tau Empire dex.

Thanks.
Old 07 Feb 2009, 21:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Moving from Tau 3rd edition to Tau 5th edition

Well, now all XV Suits and Jet Pack Drones are Relentless (meaning that they can move and shoot Heavy weapons ).

Kroot are for Close Combat (as always, but now you can utilise Krootox and Hounds - they no longer take up a FA/HS slot ).

Gue'vesa (Human Auxiliaries) are placed in front of Fire Warriors and the likes to give a little cover...

That's all I can think of so far.

Hope it helps ,

rider_eragon

I will always accept constructive criticism, even if I don't like it
rider_eragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Feb 2009, 00:15   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Only XV15/22/25/8 have relentless USR, XV88 do not have it. Only Drones that act alone (Gun Drone Squadrons) or Drones attached to a jet pack unit/IC get relentless.

Gue'Vesa are not official and are not in the Codex.

Our newest Codex is 4th Edition, not 5th. Many of the things there are now obsolete since the rules exist no more or have changed significantly.

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Feb 2009, 11:08   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

I forgot that XV88s existed for a moment...

I did say "Jet Pack Drones", which summarises what you said about them.

Gue'vesa are Imperial Armour experimental rules.

Old 08 Feb 2009, 11:12   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

they were "official" at one point, as they actually took a spot in the game faq section back in the day.

Alas no more.

poor humies.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Feb 2009, 09:32   #6 (permalink)
Shas'La

Ah well, what can you say? I've still got their official rules, so I'm happy. Not that I've ever fielded them...

But they do make good meat suits.

Old 09 Feb 2009, 10:05   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Hehehe

Anyone else have an urge to model a Shas'el wearing humans as armour?
Zaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Feb 2009, 11:44   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

One thing that changed from the older tau codex to the newer is the prices of the crisis suit weapons. Plasma rifles are more expensive, but burst cannons are cheaper. There's also an assortment of "Special Issue Gear" that you can only use on one suit per army. Very nice stuff, though. I think the rail rifles are new: heavy weapons that are great at killing marine equivalents; available to Heavy Support sniper drone teams and pathfinder squads. Kroot are always troops; it doesn't matter if they have krootox or hounds in the squad. A couple of others mentioned Relentless, which means that markerlights attached to jump infantry squads can fire on the move rather than being required to hold still.

5th edition rule changes:
These are changes from 4th edition, so some of it might not make sense coming from 3rd. I've never played 3rd, so I can't say. Kroot squads without krootoxen can outflank (enter from the short sides of the board), as can pathfinders. Skimmers are not nearly as nasty as they used to be, but dedicated transports can carry other units than the one they are dedicated to. Quite a few things about vehicle movement were changed. Wound allocation has changed a bit. There are no more target priority tests, and Independent Characters can be targeted like any other unit. Line of Sight is not calculated by levels of terrain, but by seeing what the model can see. A unit charging through cover with frag grenades now swings at normal initiative order, as do their targets. No more guaranteed swings in melee with fire warriors! Also, an assaulting unit can no longer engage another unit during consolidate. You can only start a melee at the beginning of YOUR assault phase, so no more "rolling up the flank" that used to be so nasty to a tau gunline.

Beg, borrow, or steal a 5th edition rulebook and probably a current Tau Codex if you're going to get back into the game. Too much has changed to keep it in your head, I think.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09 Feb 2009, 17:55   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

I have the Tau Empire 'dex, but not the 5th edition rulebook... would prefer to 'try' before I buy