Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Fire Warriors and "Combat Squadding"
Old 06 Feb 2009, 16:20   #1 (permalink)
Charistoph

Default Fire Warriors and "Combat Squadding"

In low level games (500-1000 points), would it be better and/or more efficient to "combat squad" my Fire Warriors from 1-2 units of 12 to 2-4 units of 6 each?

Obviously it would be better if they were both mounted, but say only half the "squads" were mounted?
Old 06 Feb 2009, 19:36   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Fire Warriors and "Combat Squadding"

Its really a trade off. On one hand you have more flexibilty and objective capturing units but the downside is that all of the squads are even easier to kill. You opinion really and what you think you enemy would have a harder time with.
Shaeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2009, 20:44   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean

I prefer to keep fire warriors in a devilfish if at all possible. If I cant put them in a devilfish then the bigger the sqad the better....
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2009, 20:59   #4 (permalink)
WLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedibean
I prefer to keep fire warriors in a devilfish if at all possible. If I cant put them in a devilfish then the bigger the sqad the better....
Agree'd 100%

Take 'em in 2 squads od 12, just so they have more fire power!
Old 07 Feb 2009, 09:09   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I think that both have advantages, with units of 6 you will be able to capture many more obectives and your infantry will survive longer but they are easily wiped out. There is a problem with this though as they will give twice as many KPs and that could easily change a game.

Having them in squads means you can concentrate our firepower but you can't capture as many objectives. Once you have cacptured them though, the enemy will have to try harder to remove you from them. Large squads are also more vulnerable to blasts and template weapons.
henbobbleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2009, 14:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Which is why when I take squads of 6 fire warriors I just keep them insinde their transport. It makes things nice and easy. It keeps them alive and keeps them moving 12" every turn. So then I have anywhere from 3 to half a dozen vehicles zooming around the battlefield and staying alive because of their 4+ cover save against shooting AND they can capture objectives!
Old 07 Feb 2009, 14:47   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

I always take my squads in groups of 8, simply because then i have good firepower as well as tactical flexibility
[img width=650 height=74]http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x38/Majonga/sig.jpg[/img]
majonga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2009, 16:54   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

So the advantage of taking small mounted squads is that you can have a more reasonably priced army of Light Tanks as Troops that can drop off Objective Takers that can act as organic turrets?

Or another way to look at it, for 60 points you can upgrade a Devilfish with 6 Wound Objective Holding Turrets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.
Charistoph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07 Feb 2009, 17:03   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

ye. I would much rather have a full squad per devilfish though. Otherwise the enemy would be able to kill your firewarriors much easier
henbobbleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Feb 2009, 01:36   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

I like saving the 75 points per scoring unit and putting those points into crisis and stealth suits squad that can deal out death a little more effectively than fire warriors. That's my opinion at least... And it's worked out pretty well so far.