Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Wanting to start Tau: What should I know beforehand?
Old 06 Feb 2009, 12:19   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Wanting to start Tau: What should I know beforehand?

I am going to start a new army sometime in the not too distant future. I was split between Tau and Eldar and I am now leaning more towards the Tau. Mainly because I wanted a skimmer based army, and secondly I always thought they looked like they could be fun. But, before I go out and blow a bunch of money on them I want to know the facts.

So here is what I have heard...
1. Tau can't hold in close combat (is this really that true? or if you are good enough can you make them live?)
2. You either win or lose with them, there is no inbetween.
3. There is a learning curve to start with them
4. They are very unbalanced being great and some things and horrible at others.

So, do all of those statements hold water, or not? And, is there anything else I need to know about them before I think about playing them?

Thanks,
F-C

Reductor General Aetos and the Ad Mech - Ordnance like rain.

Wins Losses Draws
Ad Mech 0 3 2

"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." - Douglas Adams
Full-choke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2009, 12:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Wanting to start Tau: What should I know beforehand?

Well Until we get our new dex in supposedly planned for what summer '10 dont plan on winning any tournaments, Tau right now are extremely good at making a list to destroy a certain type of enemy with the exception of Chaos Space Marines, Twin Lash of Submission is stupid..., but that being said, We are horrible at making a take all comers list. just my 2 cents
Don't you know? Marines have the And They Shall Follow No Rules special rule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
Meh, shooting roman candles in the face of the SM's charging you IS pretty ballsy...
Ashtoruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2009, 12:32   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

1. yeah pretty much, we have kroot that can survive, but they're no space marine. The beauty is that we don't NEED close combat.

2. Not too sure on this one. Though it could be argued for almost any army.

3. a bit, but nothing like trying to learn quantum mechanics.

4. each individual unit is generally more shooty, our tanks are cheap points wise and are to me the best in the game. The base cost is low then you add either the ion cannon, or railgun, neither put the tank above the cost of a land raider, which we can pop like balloons, while still skirting around them. add to the fact that our tanks can move 12" and still shoot thier main gun, AND get a 4+ cover save most of the time... yeah we're a heavily mounted force.

as for what ashtoruin said, yeah. We suck at all comers... but then again, in specific battles.... we can tear someone apart if we have a little intel before hand. That's why i like the tau... everyone at my shop plays marines.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2009, 12:36   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Tau have interesting fluff and certainly are fun to play.

Ad your points:

1. Tau are more a shooty army, than any else. For close combat, we can use our Kroot, especially Kroot Hounds, with good Initiative and Weapon Skill. Our basic Troops - Fire Warriors, are bad in close combat.If you prefer things up close and personal, Tau do not excel in that.

2. Ehm... Actually, I tend to get draws more often than I lose. So, yes, there is something in between.

3. Everything has a learning curve. Tau have specialized units, but they coopeate perfectly if played wisely. Easy to play, hard to master.The best learning curve there is, if you ask me.

4. Well, Tau are not a jack-of-all-trades army. And yes, we are very good with ranged weapons, especially railguns, and we quite suck in close combat.

Tau models are great to model and paint, as the Codex says, we get the best of both worlds - futuristic armours, battlesuits and skimmer tanks with shiny armour, and the fleshy Kroot and Vespid.

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2009, 13:41   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Well, the more I hear the more I am liking them. See, I learned on Space Marine cheesiness...good for a starter, but also very, very bad. The first time I played an army without a Power Armour save it was an experience to say the least!

Although, my typical play style with them was to shoot the piss out of the enemy until they got to me, then I pounced and beat the tar out of them. So, I could see how that could be beneficial with Tau (maybe, still learning about them :-\). I think you guys have me convinced...but not 100% sure yet. I still have plenty of time before I will be able to do it so I have time to read up on them...

F-C

Reductor General Aetos and the Ad Mech - Ordnance like rain.

Wins Losses Draws
Ad Mech 0 3 2

"He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which." - Douglas Adams
Full-choke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2009, 13:54   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

well at the end of the day.... we have railguns, what more could you ask for? it's the strongest single shot in the game with the option for a large blast that can kill a LOT of stuff.... like, wipe out tyranids stuff.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Old 06 Feb 2009, 14:12   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to LiinSivi Send a message via Yahoo to LiinSivi

We also have Pulse Rifles. What other army can use non-upgraded weapons to bring down a C'tan?

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his" --George S. Patton
LiinSivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06 Feb 2009, 14:28   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

I'm just sayin we have the most powerful single shot weapon in the game, and twinlinked on what amounts to a terminator equivalent with two wounds.
Old 06 Feb 2009, 14:39   #9 (permalink)
Shas'La

In my experience:

1. Yeah, you can get a crisis suit team to win a combat if you're careful, esp with a commander attached and if you use shield drones. Also massed kroot with hounds are excellent on the charge, but basically for the most part you're going to be avoiding combat.

2. no, havn't ever found this, to start with I found I got a lot of draws

3. There is a bit of a learning curve, but not more than most armies, certainly don't be put off by it!

4. have retyped my answer to this one a few times, so I guess i'm not decieded enough to comment :P

I started Tau because I liked the fluff and models and am glad I did, learning to play with a more challenging army is more rewarding when you do manage to win and we have great vehicle models
Old 06 Feb 2009, 16:28   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tausand sun
well at the end of the day.... we have railguns, what more could you ask for? it's the strongest single shot in the game with the option for a large blast that can kill a LOT of stuff.... like, wipe out tyranids stuff.
well the Large Blast isnt really that great with the advent of tons of cover saves in 5th ed, but its not bad at taking out your average infantry with the Option of a single shot of doom, Ive really really gotten to like taking 2 railheads and a squad of 3 B.A.S.S. the team leader having TLPRs and a HWMT and 2 shield drones, this is just plain insane against just about anything...
Don't you know? Marines have the And They Shall Follow No Rules special rule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
Meh, shooting roman candles in the face of the SM's charging you IS pretty ballsy...
Ashtoruin is offline   Reply With Quote