Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Shield Drones in 5th Ed
Old 05 Feb 2009, 00:11   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Shield Drones in 5th Ed

I've tried searching for this info, but I keep getting an error message, so I figured I'd just post it. Sorry if it's a repeat topic. In the new wound allocation rules, how do Shield Drones work? I've been told by more than one player that they can have all of the wounds allocated to them until they die. Is this true? Also, if this is true, how do you roll the wounds on them? Would you roll them all together or separately, as once they're dead, the wounds would transfer to the models they're protecting?

Thanks in advance.
justamusician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Feb 2009, 00:30   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Shield Drones in 5th Ed

Shield drones are models like any other in the unit. When wounds come in, you allocate them across the models (every model gets 1 before any model gets 2, etc). If you allocate the big stuff like lascannons to the shield drones they can take the invulnerable save instead of armor or cover.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Feb 2009, 13:19   #3 (permalink)
Shas'El

Hang on! I was looking this up earlier! The drones should get instant-deathed by a lascannon therefore taking no invulnerable save. It says "just remove them". Says nothing about saves. I would like to say they get the save before instant death, but it is not made clear in the rules. Anyone help?

[I do not wish this account to be deleted, but I will no longer be posting much]

03/Feb/13
FrisbeeForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Feb 2009, 13:27   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard

Where did you see that??

To my knowledge, in 5th ed, like in 4th, invulnerable and cover saves are the only way to counter instant-death. Otherwise what is the point of having Invulnerable save??

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Feb 2009, 13:28   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Invul saves are taken 99% of the time. Every wound is instant death to a Shield Drone. They only have one wound so it does not matter.

Instant Death is killing a multi wound model in one wound. The attack must be double strength of the model's toughness, and the model will get an invul or armor save, depending on the weapon. Since most insta death weapons are also AP2 or better, it's normally invul save only. Example:

Your Crisis Commander, kitted out with a Shield Generator is hit by a Las Cannon. The enemy rolls and wounds. Now, with out the Shield Generator, your commander is done, just remove him off the board, even though he has four wounds. However, you kitted him out with a shield generator and two shield drones. The wound is allocated to the drone, your roll a five on the invul save and the Las Cannon player frowns, because your shield deflected the shot. He fires another shot, which you also allocate to the drone, you roll a 3, which is below the Invul save, and you remove the drone, even though the armor save for the drone is 3.

No. What I am saying is that my Air Support has lots of Ground Cadre.

If a Land Raider dies to a rail gun, and no one was around to see it, does the kill point still exist?
ranzin927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05 Feb 2009, 13:28   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrisbeeForLunch
Hang on! I was looking this up earlier! The drones should get instant-deathed by a lascannon therefore taking no invulnerable save. It says "just remove them". Says nothing about saves. I would like to say they get the save before instant death, but it is not made clear in the rules. Anyone help?
The Saves normally work like this:

A model (unit) gets hit, gets wounded (2+ for Lascannon against most models) and then the Saves are takenafter the Wounds are allocated. You can choose one the following for each of your models as appropriate: Armour Save (negated by the Lascannon's AP), Cover Save (if in cover, not negated by Lascannon, but not applicable for instance against a hit from Airbursting Fragmentation Projector) or Invulnerable Save (like the Shield Drone's 4+).

If the chosen Save is failed, then the model suffers the Wound and is removed from play if its Wounds reach 0. However, if the Strength of the weapon is double the wounded model's Toughness, that model is instantly killed, regardless of the number of remaining Wounds.

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote