Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

HQs
View Poll Results: Which HQ do you find to be the most usefull?
Shadowsun 1 1.23%
Farsight 7 8.64%
Aun'va 1 1.23%
Crisis Suit Commander 72 88.89%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04 Feb 2009, 18:15   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default HQs

I have decided that I don't like any of our unique characters. Compared to Crisis suit commanders they lack firepower, survivability, and just plain usefullness. I was wondering what everyone else thought about our unique characters.
" 'Hell's bells Harding!' McMurphy yells suddenly. 'I don't know what to think! What do you want out of me? A marriage counsellor? All I know is this: nobody's very big in the first place, and it looks to me like everybody spends their whole life tearing everybody else down. I know what you want me to think: you want me to feel sorry for you, to think she is a real bitch. Well, you didn't make her feel like any queen either. Well screw you and 'what do you think?' I've got worries of my own without getting hooked with yours. So just quit!' "
-One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Sea-Zan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2009, 18:24   #2 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to Boneguard Send a message via Yahoo to Boneguard
Default Re: HQs

None of the above and all of them.

It really depends on your style and what you like to play.

For some O'shovah, Shadowsun, O'R'myr are the best HQ for them. for other it's a XV-8 commander (either a regular one or a XV-8 variant) that is the big winner.

As a General rules Ethereal are no big winner.

I Invite you to join my collective story and to add to it.

My ascension to GODHOOD
Boneguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2009, 18:36   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to LordZanuu

I think that Aun'shi doesn't have a high enough initiative to cut it in CC, and farsight doesnt have enough weapons to be good at range, just a plasma rifle! Normal Ethereals are just too fragile and don't have the bonuses that Aun'shi has.
XV8 Commanders have the most versatility, and can change weapons between battles depending on your enemy. Also, they have none of the drawbacks from the others: Farsight - limits army lists; Aun'shi and Ethereals - Price of Failure (this alone can lose you a match). O'R'Myr is a worthy investment, at least he has a twin-linked Plasma Rifle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Master Seth
you can never go wrong with a little promethium.
Your resident MathHammerererer-er.
LordZanuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2009, 18:43   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I think the generic XV8 Commander is the best option due to its versatility and ability to be fielded in games under 1500 Points.

Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2009, 19:20   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Boneguard says it the best. It all depends on what style of Tau you play.

All of us can agree that you can basically kit out a XV8 Crisis Commander to do what you want him to do. That is no big revelation. However,

Farsight: Likes to believe that he is a close up and personal type of commander, when in essence, he really believes that he is a Kroot. The real power of Farsight is that he can take this huge, impressive bodyguard HQ unit. If you are brave enough to sink as many points as it will take, you can make a very large 22 model force that does, and I know it does, strike fear into the enemy. March it up the center of the board and kill everything. Make sure it has a few fusion blasters in it and have fun killing vechiles as well as infantry. I am not to sure who would want to CC a unit that will have 32 attacks and 25 wounds of which you must inflict eight wounds before they take a casualty.

Shadowsun is used for two purposes. One I like, one I do not like. The first is to deep strike her into the heart of the enemy vechile formations and blast them with her twin Fusion Blasters. Two tanks probably dead, not bad, USE A HELIOS instead at less cost. The second for Shadow Sun is to make your Tau not run and not be as fragile as a ethereal. With her command drone, rally your troops, hold the line and kill things that get too close. Nice and has a purpose, but not exactly to end up in my army. Join a stealth team and then you do not have to have fusions taking up precious burst cannon spots. Now you have a stealth team that will not run, add in many markerlights and VOOMP (new technical term) now the enemy is really wishing that you took pathfinders instead. (Way too many points in my opinion)

Aun'Va......(note to self: find something good to say about this unit) nice model????

No. What I am saying is that my Air Support has lots of Ground Cadre.

If a Land Raider dies to a rail gun, and no one was around to see it, does the kill point still exist?
ranzin927 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2009, 19:26   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to LordZanuu

I find that Aun'va is a fire magnet, as most enemies i've faced don't know who he is so they would kill him before he can do anything. Shadowsun is quite a good option but I don't like the fact that she only has short ranged weapons.
If you have Tau and want some CC action (?!?!) then I would recommend either O'Shovah or invest in a different army.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapter Master Seth
you can never go wrong with a little promethium.
Your resident MathHammerererer-er.
LordZanuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2009, 19:33   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Farsight: You mean he really believes he's a kroot hound-krootox hybrid. WS5, I5 A4 is the highest of any known Tau. And he he's got an S5 power weapon. Too bad he can't bring kroot... >
Old 04 Feb 2009, 19:42   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

I like all the other voted for the Standard XV-8 Crisis suit commander for several reasons, he can have best of range and up close firing, hes completely customizable, used in under 1500 point games, and doesn't have any drawbacks rule wise.
Farsight- best unit tau have for CC but takes away kroot which limits the variability of the army and takes away valuable units for infiltrating, outflanking and solid objective capture...ing.
Shadowsun- Pretty good fighter, looks good on paper, has many drones, and a command-link, IIRC. But the terrible range of her weapons makes her good in use of tank-hunting/suicide missions. Not a suitable role for a Commander. But in her defense is good at holding a solid gunline.
Aun'va- Has a good guard but has some pretty bad drawbacks, like price of failure and is only valuable in CC, Aun'va is terrible in CC but his guards are not bad. They all have decent BS skill but none have guns, IMO if the honor guard could be used with other ethereals it would be awesome. Also they're save is no better than a fire warriors.
R'myr- Recently bought him, think he is great. Nice stats, good euipment, better weapons, cool looking model. But can't get anymore equipment and can be quite expensive like the others.

In the end, what ever floats your boat can be your best unit. As long as you use him well and he/she helps your army, no worries, right?
Old 04 Feb 2009, 20:30   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordZanuu
O'R'Myr is a worthy investment, at least he has a twin-linked Plasma Rifle.
Correction, Assault 2 Plasma Rifle, at BS5

And I would have Picked Rymr had he been up there, He is not bad for his cost
Don't you know? Marines have the And They Shall Follow No Rules special rule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
Meh, shooting roman candles in the face of the SM's charging you IS pretty ballsy...
Ashtoruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04 Feb 2009, 20:39   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

Shadowsun is my favorite, She looks nice, has twin fusion blasters for killing tanks and marines, shield drones, the only draw back is that she's WAY too expensive.
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote