Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Players Afraid of Tau
Closed Thread
Old 27 May 2005, 05:33   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Players Afraid of Tau

I usually play 3 or 4-way matches with my friends. The main reason I win almost always is that they seem to be afraid to come at me. They always say they want to come at me but never watch to get shot at while coming for me. So they take some long way around bump in to another player get slaughtered because they now need to fight the 3rd or 4th army while I position myself to shoot at both battle armies from a safe distance. I don't know how many players here have experience in 3 or 4 way battles but does it happen to you too?
Old 27 May 2005, 11:28   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Players Afraid of Tau

Yup, every time.

They try to stay out of range, and since most of us use tanks, they can, but with the mighty railguns, I'm blowing them apart. So they go into cover and try to save me for the end. Overall, my matches are slightly boring, cause only the nids will attack me straight up, and for the tau, its like shooting fish in a barrel...

With a rocket launcher
Old 27 May 2005, 11:48   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

To be honest whenever I play in a big game other players tend to come strait towards me as they see me as a threat at range but soft in combat (other armys I regulary play are Nids, Space Wolves and Orks). Which is sometimes a good thing cause it means lots of rapid fire potential!

"You gotta love them skelly's! Dem bones, dem bones, dem dry bones....."
Old 27 May 2005, 13:25   #4 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to RedMagnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Planet Penguin
To be honest whenever I play in a big game other players tend to come strait towards me as they see me as a threat at range but soft in combat (other armys I regulary play are Nids, Space Wolves and Orks). Which is sometimes a good thing cause it means lots of rapid fire potential!
Man, you play a pair of painful armies! But Orks are fairly easy foes for Tau to take care of...

Yeah, I play WoW. So sue me.
Old 27 May 2005, 13:46   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

My brother and one his Friends do exactly the same because, among our own group, I have never been beaten. They say that Tau are unfair

But seriously, its all down to your opponents skill and not the Tau army, or opponents army. For example, if I was to tell them that splitting up their fire at random units over the period of a few turns was a bad thing, they'd stop.

Because we usually play 3-4 way battles, or team battles, and I like to be relatively mobile witha 'static' element, my opponents are often confused about what to go for and when, so it's them and not a 'universal' fear of the Tau army, which I have heard, has been regarded as a very weak one at times.

Good Luck
Old 27 May 2005, 13:48   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus the Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Planet Penguin
To be honest whenever I play in a big game other players tend to come strait towards me as they see me as a threat at range but soft in combat (other armys I regularly play are Nids, Space Wolves and Orks). Which is sometimes a good thing cause it means lots of rapid fire potential!
Man, you play a pair of painful armies! But Orks are fairly easy foes for Tau to take care of...
Yeah id say 90% of army's at our gaming night are geared for speed and close combat so its always an entertaining game when I come with my all shooty mech Tau army. Its like them chasing me round the board trying to cut me up and me running as fast as I can shooting as I go!

"You gotta love them skelly's! Dem bones, dem bones, dem dry bones....."
Old 27 May 2005, 16:29   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to freaky_beef

Yeah, I have a much higher succsess rate with the Tau than my other team, THE NIDS(soon to change with the new codex, the nids will consume all). it could be due to all the Rail Heads and supreme fire power while still capable of moving really quick! Yeah, in general, i do pretty well, Ive only lost 4 times, and thats all to the same Chaos player. And in return, ive won about 30 or so!
Old 27 May 2005, 18:15   #8 (permalink)
Shas'La

I always get mobbed in larger games. I can usually inflict many casualties and win VP wise but even in a 4 player "ffa" they always come after me first.
Old 27 May 2005, 18:20   #9 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via MSN to 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espi0N
My brother and one his Friends do exactly the same because, among our own group, I have never been beaten. They say that Tau are unfair

But seriously, its all down to your opponents skill and not the Tau army, or opponents army. For example, if I was to tell them that splitting up their fire at random units over the period of a few turns was a bad thing, they'd stop.

Because we usually play 3-4 way battles, or team battles, and I like to be relatively mobile witha* 'static' element, my opponents are often confused about what to go for and when, so it's them and not a 'universal' fear of the Tau army, which I have heard, has been regarded as a very weak one at times.
wow, espion you have virtually exactly the same experiences as me! Especially the part about them getting fed up with playing me and calling Tau cheesy!

in 2vs 2 games I am probably not a great team player, i preserve my victory points and never loose many models or tanks. Instead I concentrate on taking key pieces of terrain and taking out important enemy targets early on, so the rest of their army is either left to straggle accross the board and get mopped up, or run away to be chased down by my ally!

Old 27 May 2005, 19:16   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Send a message via MSN to Khaldun

For me, 4 player games really don't suit me.

This is because, most often, I will be playing nids, space wolves, and black templars. I don't think it could get any worse for the tau... unless maybe some necrons joined in too.

However, since discovering mech tau tactics, the game usually comes down to me with about 10 models left, but pulling off a close win, draw, or very, very close loss. This is because all 3 of my opponents feel compelled to take the maximum number of anti tank weapons possible, so any tanks I have are usually targeted first thing, by guys in excellent firing posistions. Thing is, once my tanks are gone I'm largely ignored... allowing that close win/draw/loss thing at the end.

holding back in a multi player game usually ends up with me dead. Don't try it.