Tau Empire Codex 2013 | Army Builder Program
Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Do you use Etherals?
View Poll Results: Do you use Etherals in your army?
Yes, always. 5 17.86%
Mostly 4 14.29%
Occasionly 9 32.14%
Not Often 1 3.57%
No Never 9 32.14%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 26 May 2005, 22:28   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Send a message via MSN to Shaso Sam
Default Do you use Etherals?

Please vote in this poll. [move] O0 O0 [/move]
Raise your hands....
Old 26 May 2005, 22:45   #2 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Re: Do you use Etherals?

Hi there! With a little searching, you'll find the opinions of some pretty good players well documented throughout the forums.

To put it in very brief summary, however, the choice comes down to a number of factors:

1. How large is the battle? I've seen various cut-offs, but it seems to be generally agreed that they are more effective in larger games. The more leadership tests you are likely to take , the more one will pay off. I'd hazard a guess and say that the etherial is a good addition once you have everything your army needs to function on a basic level, then plan on swelling its ranks.

2. Somewhat similar to '1', how many models do you have? If you're the type who loves to stock up on static firewarriors, or if you have many squads of troops, the Aun might be a good choice. If all of your firewarriors are mounted in devilfishes, and you have a large number of hammerheads or single-suit squads, the Aun might not be so useful.

3. What's the terrain like in the battle field? Yes, this might seem more random than the first two, but there are some people who love to be un-fluffy and have their etherial inspire courage from behind a rock in some far corner of the battle field. If there's the option of a a good hiding place in your venue, that might influence your choice ^^

I'm sure there are more. Do a little searching on these forums, and I'm sure you'll find a wealth of information.
Old 26 May 2005, 22:48   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I take an ethereal as my HQ in every battle I fight in. *Since tau don't have really high leadership and don't have special abilities such as fearless, I make up for this by using an ethereal. *I simply either deploy the ethereal in a little corner of the table with some cover, or put him smack in the middle of my army, so he is basically like a 50pt. upgrade that lets all of your tau units reroll morale checks.

Tau- 2000pts.
space marines- 500pts.
tyranids- 200pts. (battle for mccrage )
Lost and the damned- 300pts. (just started)

pm me if you play halo2 on xbox live!
Old 27 May 2005, 04:35   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I have never used them. I don't play big games and I use my Shas'el to the fullest. I can't afford to lose my troops in a bad roll if my Etheral dies.

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 27 May 2005, 04:59   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

I use all aspects of the codex, perhaps not at the same time, but in various stages. I do indeed use an Ethereal often however.

Before the introduction of the new Space Marine codex, the Ethereal was a wonderful HQ unit that was really under appreciated for what it is, not just what it does. The Ethereal is great in that we become pretty stable with leadership ability, however, that's now what makes the Ethereal such a leader. One of the oddities of 40k is that all of the races, the HQ is generally some kind of "one-man-army" type unit or character who just acts like another strong arm or something. The Ethereal on the other hand, is very soft and has no defensive or offensive abilities really. He's just this cheap little thing that grants big leadership bonuses to the army. He's pretty close to being more like what a real "leader" of an army is, which is not just a bigger, better version of something else in the army, but instead, something that literally "leads" the force. The Ethereal does just that. He leads, he commands and he reassures when things get ugly.

For most people, there's two main reasons for not taking an Ethereal in the Tau. The first, is that the commander is an offensive power house, compared to an Ethereal and that it's some kind of waste to pass him up. There's good reason for that of course, as it follows suite with all other leaders in the 40k universe. The other big reason, is simply because people really fear having their army taking moral checks should they lose that Ethereal and possibly having their entire army head for the hills. So when you think about it, the Ethereal is extremely unique as a leader in the 40k game environment. The new Space Marine commander is very similar in this (he's better in fact), but he also has the ability to become a shooting/combat power house. And he does so for a much bigger price of course and has no draw back, other than his price. The Ethereal is just the Ethereal.

So yes, I enjoy my Ethereal. He leads, he does his job, and the tiny bit of points spent on him to keep everyone's moral nice and happy is well worth it to me, as I tend to run into a lot of games that have various effects to the moral (don't we just love Librarians?). I also like Commanders, and I consider it perfectly fine to have them both.
Old 27 May 2005, 16:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

for me moral is never really an issue because all my FW stay inside my transports if they can stay safe the that Vpoint at the end of the game the only unit that do stay out side are my pathfinders for like 2 or 3 turn then i try to load them back up and relocate them my stealths crisis already have ok Ld and my kroot dont get anything from the etheral .kroot are my fire base if i dont have lot of woods to put them up front pathfind act as my lure for the first 1-3 never need him yet

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 27 May 2005, 16:59   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

I always take an Ethereal, even in 500 point games. Partially I just like the idea of having an Ethereal there to watch and advise, but after I lost three crisis suits to a lone gaunt because of a bad roll I'll never go without one.
Old 27 May 2005, 17:12   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to RedMagnus

I generally take mine because
a) I think it's fluffy
b) he's a cheap HQ
c) for 50 points you can re-roll every morale check in the army! YAY!

Yeah, I play WoW. So sue me.
Old 27 May 2005, 17:25   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Send a message via MSN to freaky_beef

I sometimes use him. hes good and all, when hes ALIVE! Thats my problem with him. My opponents always goes for him quickly and he dies way fast and then my army might be screwed for a turn. Not pleasent, buuuuut for some reason I still use him about half the time!
Old 27 May 2005, 17:29   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to RedMagnus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freaky_beef
I sometimes use him. hes good and all, when hes ALIVE! Thats my problem with him. My opponents always goes for him quickly and he dies way fast and then my army might be screwed for a turn. Not pleasent, buuuuut for some reason I still use him about half the time!
My opponents never waste time on my Etherial; even when he does die, I've never lost a unit yet form death-fear thingy.

Yeah, I play WoW. So sue me.
Closed Thread