Dark Angels Codex 2013
Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Going back to tau, just some questions.
Old 28 Jan 2009, 02:56   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Going back to tau, just some questions.

1. Is Fish of Fury a still workable tactic in 5th edition?

2. If you had two FOF squads working together, and deployed your units behind the skimmers, do you get cover save if opponents shoot at you?

3. Does this apply to crisis suits as well? Would they get a cover save for being behind a dfish?
Murekhalir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 Jan 2009, 03:33   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Jedibean
Default Re: Going back to tau, just some questions.

1. Yes and no. It still works but it doesn't offer the same level of protection that it used to in 4th edition. In 5th edition it's pretty much been reduced to a standard skimmer drop. The problem is that with assaults against vehicles now taking place against rear armor it's pretty easy for a dedicated assault unit to disable the vehicles you rode in on if you dont wipe them out to a single man. This can be problematic because now you cant just hop back in your devilfish and run away. If you do a skimmer drop and then your skimmers are assaulted and they're immobilized or even stunned then you're kinda screwed. It can work, it's just that you have to be extra carefull to absolutely wipe out whatever the target is.

2.yes you do get a cover save for being behind a skimmer. Conversely your opponent also recieves a cover save when you shoot from under the skimmer. So it's better and worse. It's better against units with a heavy bolter because you still get your save. On the otherhand it's worse because against units like orks you have to expend markerlights to remove the cover save they now get.

3. Crisis suits cannot see under the devilfish and therefore cannot fire under it. However a small enough unit can fire at a crisis suits legs from under the fish and he will get a cover save. What you can do is jump out from behind the skimmer and jump back behind it in your assault phase. That actually works quite well.
Jedibean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2009, 20:33   #3 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Wouldn't it still work as it did before?

In the rules it says that members of a single unit can always fire through their own people because they're assumed to move in a way to maximize firepower. So a dedicated transport for a unit of firewarriors would be a part of that unit and they would be allowed to fire through it.

Am I reading this wrong?
Llyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2009, 21:35   #4 (permalink)
Charistoph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyr

In the rules it says that members of a single unit can always fire through their own people because they're assumed to move in a way to maximize firepower. So a dedicated transport for a unit of firewarriors would be a part of that unit and they would be allowed to fire through it.

Am I reading this wrong?
Partially. Dedicated Transports have a new experience in 5th Ed, as they are technically not be part of the unit (as they don't have to maintain cohesion with their transported troops after dropping them off). The advantage of this is that they can be used as transports for other units. The downside would be mentioned above. I could be wrong, I don't have my rule book on me atm.
Old 29 Jan 2009, 21:56   #5 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Whoops! I've been playing wrong then! Thanks Charistoph.
Llyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Jan 2009, 23:15   #6 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charistoph
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llyr

Am I reading this wrong?
You are correct Charistoph. The vehicle functions in everyway like a seperate unit. So yes, it would provide a cover save to those on either side of it, friend or foe.

Partially. Dedicated Transports have a new experience in 5th Ed, as they are technically not be part of the unit (as they don't have to maintain cohesion with their transported troops after dropping them off). The advantage of this is that they can be used as transports for other units. The downside would be mentioned above. I could be wrong, I don't have my rule book on me atm.
Old 30 Jan 2009, 16:26   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

FoF as we used to know it is dead, What ive found to work is to run them in Pairs,

D = Devilfish
F = Firewarrior
O = Drone

Shooting Phase

O O O O
DDD FF FF DDD
D FFFF FFFF D
DD FFFF FFFF DD
DDDD FF FF DDDD

Assault Phase
OO OO
DDD FF FF DDD
D FFFF FFFF D
DD FFFF FFFF DD
DDDD FF FF DDDD

Not as effective as the Original FoF but It doesnt give them cover for shooting through your own units atleast and you get a coversave/CC screen
Don't you know? Marines have the And They Shall Follow No Rules special rule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
Meh, shooting roman candles in the face of the SM's charging you IS pretty ballsy...
Ashtoruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Jan 2009, 16:52   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

it's not as effective for a lot of reasons. it's not nearly as good of an assault screen because it's easier to kill the vehicles that are protecting the fire warriors. If they kill the vehicles, then the fire warriors are sitting ducks in subsequent turns.
Old 30 Jan 2009, 20:34   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

yea but alot of the times my opponent focus's his Heavy support on my Hammerheads, not to take out my Devilfish
Don't you know? Marines have the And They Shall Follow No Rules special rule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enderwiggin
Meh, shooting roman candles in the face of the SM's charging you IS pretty ballsy...
Ashtoruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 Jan 2009, 04:58   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

That's fine. I just like to make people aware of the weaknesses of fish of fury in the current rules set.