Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Argument over "hard-wired" gear on Crisis Suits to a Games Workshop Rep
Closed Thread
Old 25 May 2005, 04:20   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Send a message via ICQ to Robogem Send a message via MSN to Robogem
Default Argument over "hard-wired" gear on Crisis Suits to a Games Workshop Rep

I was talking to a jack*** worker (I call him that in this thread because he acted like he was a Omnicient fountain of GW knowledge, the whole "I'm right your wrong attitude.) of at my local GW today.

I had recently lost the piece representing the multitracker (no clue, looked everywhere, maybe the cat ate it i dunno) and anywho...

I asked them that perhaps if I hardwired the tracker, I didn't have to show it on the model.* Then I proceeded to show them in the instruction manual that it said that hardwired things are represented as bionics, jewelry, etc.

No.

They said that was basically fluff, and they wouldn't let me play a game in their store if I had claimed that I had a multitracker even though I didn't have the piece to represent WYSIWYG, EVEN THOUGH in the freakin book it says that they are systems hard wired into the suit.

What the h***?* Maybe I'm wrong, I dunno.

Edit: PS, now that I don't have a MT, whether I am wrong in this case or not, can you reccomend me a good Crisis Suit build that doesn't require a MT of any sort? Thank you.
A hero is only a hero when he or she takes incredible risks. If you prod a tiger with a stick from behind six inches of body armor and an impenetrable shield of force you're not a hero, you're just a jackass.
[/size]
Old 25 May 2005, 04:26   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Argument over "hard-wired" gear on Crisis Suits to a Games Workshop Rep

Well, I'd have thought that Hard-Wired meant that it was programmed/built into the suit itself, so in essence, it's part of the internal systems of the suit.
Blacksun Filters, Multi-trackers, Target-Locks, ect would be built into the optic systems, targeting system, tactical analysis systems, ect.
Heck, even twin-linking is put under this fact occasionally, I think. I'm pretty sure there was at least one occasion where a weapons was considered to be twin-linked because it poured out more shots at once than normal, so it was a TW assault 2, instead of an assault 4, or something.

Well, meh. If you can talk to other reps, and get at least one person to argue with you, with at least a few convincing points, then you should be alright. Remember, everyone makes mistakes. That person might not have been a Tau player, and has little knowladge about Tau, so hence, that person wouldn't have known what it means by Hard-Wiring. Just try asking a few other people, then it'll come out alright. Just make sure to get those people's names, as if you tell that guy that a particular person told you that it was alright, and if your guy knows that person, then it'll turn out better than comming with little solid proof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice
She said she can't die! She's survive even if you roast her or bake her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa
Should we try to boil her or fry her instead?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokou
It's foolish for people to go out on a night like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimu
Who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokou
I'm talking about you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimu
No, I'm not asking who's a fool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukari
So you're admitting to being a fool?
Old 25 May 2005, 06:31   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Argument over "hard-wired" gear on Crisis Suits to a Games Workshop Rep

Lessons to be learned: Don't talk to Red Shirts and don't play games in GW shops (or buy stuff from them).

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 25 May 2005, 06:50   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo_Pepper
(or buy stuff from them)
Hear hear! Support your local gamming club and give GW the finger!

Though, im lucky i guess. My GW store is awesome, I know most of the people there on a first name basis, and they are not complete jerks. In fact, they are some really awesome people! And the games are allways fun there too!
Old 25 May 2005, 06:52   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

that bull i play at my game shop and no one ever told me stuff like that

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 25 May 2005, 07:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Hmm, I'm assuming your talking about a Team Leader here? (as only them and commanders can take hard-wired equipment) And also that you filled that 3rd hardpoint with something else? (all 3 physical hard points MUST be filled, especially in WYSIWYG)

If its not a team leader, it can't take hard-wired equipment. If you didn't fill in that 3rd hardpoint, its not actually legal, as all three hardpoints must be fillied. Keep in mind that hard-wired systems are used in addition to the normal equipment, and doesn't replace any of the other systems at all.

If he was a team leader, and the 3rd hardpoint was filled, your the one who's right.. otherwise, the GW guy was right..

Anyway, suggestions, buy spare mutlitracker off someone, or kit out team-leaders with hard-wired multitrackers. Crisis suit configs page might be useful too, along with this one.
Old 25 May 2005, 07:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Ask him what your supposed to do when you take 3 hard-wried systems on you commander next time, by then you should have run out of room for more stuff. Or better yet, just ask him to differentiate the multi-trakcer/ target lock/ droen controller/blacksun filter on the sprue, see if he knows everything then.
Old 25 May 2005, 08:19   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo_Pepper
Lessons to be learned:* Don't talk to Red Shirts and don't play games in GW shops (or buy stuff from them).* *
As GW staff (and to boot an avid tau player) comments like that actually REALLY annoy me! Ok my shirt is black not red but heyhoo...

The store I work in (Basingstoke, UK for all you stalker tpes out there who want to come in and praise/maim/kill me) is actually (IMHO) friendly and helpful.
If this argument came in to the store then we would say; hard wired- that's fine... it doesn't have to be shown on the model- so long as its written down on your army list and your opponent knows that the model may not be wysiwig (if they are as anally retentive as the rep you spoke to). Its even been known on a vets night for someone to have a 'counts as' model (ok things like 'this plasma gun in my devastator squad is a lascannon' or 'thats not a flamer on my leman russ, its a heavy bolter', nothing major but again a case of let your opponent know first)

Now I know i'm only talking on behalf of the store I work in (AND THIS ISN'T THE GOSPEL ACCORDING TO GW) but Games Workshop (as a company) pride itself on its hobby and its attitude to gamers (Prices not included ) After all, without people playing the game, they don't make any money!

I'll stop ranting now, but in future Waldo, could you please have a slightly more constuctive point, and if your local GW store is bad then sorry, but we aren't all like that (Most of us play the game as well and want to be treated the same as other gamers)

Anyhoo sorry, rant over

Old 25 May 2005, 11:29   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilledenuff
I'll stop ranting now, but in future Waldo, could you please have a slightly more constuctive point, and if your local GW store is bad then sorry, but we aren't all like that (Most of us play the game as well and want to be treated the same as other gamers)
It was indeed bad form for me to generalize to all GW staff. I originally wanted to include the line "Support your local independent game store" but hit Post by accident and then forgot about fixingi it. :-[ It's true that there are some really great staff members and shops out there - it's just those are a lot less common than the crappy stores. It seems like the UK stores, in general, are of better quality because they were part of the original francise - contrast this with the stores in many other countries where GW opened dozens in the span of a couple years, pays the teenage staff minimum wage, and in which you routinely run into the worst mix of staff, rules advice, & players. ???

I once went into a store in which they had a box of "discount" paints on the counter - each of the pots was so old it was completely dried up. Of course they were selling them for only 2 euros per pot... :

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 25 May 2005, 12:29   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

fair enough - however I should explain that in the UK minimum wage is whats paid here too - it's just the passion of the staff thats different (by way of a joke - i'm not saying overseas staff aren't enthusiastic) In the store where I work we have 3 part timers (myself and two others) all of whom are hobbyists first, staff second (wages may suck but there are other perks ) which means that we understand the needs of the gamer - perhaps if other stores did this then there wouldn't be these mix ups!

Anyhoo back on topic, if you want to use your suit without a multitracker modelled on it you can (except in tournaments and, it seems, some GW stores!)

Closed Thread