Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Pathfinders or Stealths?
Closed Thread
Old 25 May 2005, 01:27   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Default Pathfinders or Stealths?

Hey. Im thinking of either getting some Stealth Suits or Pathfinders with railrifles. I play mostly SM. Which is more effective at killing them? Everyone seems to like Stealths but sniper rifles just seem so cool. Along with the AP3, they seem pretty good at killing SM's. I know this is "apples and oranges" but what do you guys think is cooler?
Old 25 May 2005, 01:31   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Pathfinders or Stealths?

i take both it but i dont really use rail riifles there cool look but u can only take three so only 1 going to hit most of the time which is not worth the point the sealths can move faster and it hard to hit them when mid range or far away pluse with some suport u could send alot of S5 shots down them SM throats

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 25 May 2005, 01:56   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

depends on lots fo different things.

what points value?
whats the list like?
whats the opponents lists generally have in them?
why isnt this in the armylist board where it would be more suited?
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Old 25 May 2005, 02:03   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Mike:

Think of it like this perhaps:

Pathfinders with 3 Rail Rifles will hit 1~2 shots on average each turn (but a maximum of 3 of course), and probably wound a marine. So you could expect probably 6 to 12 kills potentially if your Pathfinders managed to remain alive for 6 turns. This part of the equation is the highly unlikely part of it (living that is). The moment a marine squad takes casualty or even notice of Rail Rifles on the board, they will meet return fire most definitely.

Now consider that Stealth Suits on average will kill 2 marines on average per turn and are much better in terms of taking return fire, which makes them far more resilience. Also, consider that they infiltrate into good positions. Also consider they will cost less than Pathfinders. Should your suits have perfect success with their potential, they would kill about 12 marines over 6 turns, however, that is too perfect. But you can consider that they may kill more than this since your potential to kill more each turn is significantly higher than the rail rifles (since only 3 shots can produce 3 kills) versus 18 shots can produce more if you're lucky.

Both have their uses, but really on the safety and efficiency side, the Stealths will generally be the better choice overall. However, taking pathfinders with railrifles is by no means a bad decision.

This topic, well a similar one, actually came up not to long ago. Maybe some of the information housed there could be helpful: http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=7117.0
Old 25 May 2005, 02:24   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

I would say stealthsuits all the way, I have had stealth suits since the christmas before last, six suits w 2 shield drones, have only had three games with stealthsuit casualties since getting them,

they have assault 3 weapons, six of them, meaning 18 pulse shots per turn

they have stealth armour, so you&#39;ve got a hard time getting shot

then 2 shield drones and 3+ saves to save you
My WIP Prussian themed Imperial Guard Army - Because you&#39;ve all asked for it!

JAGGED ALLIANCE &#39;09 - Bottled in Scotland (please enjoy responsibly) - Tau Empire
ARCANACON &#39;10 - PWNaVIC - Tau Empire: Veteran Cadre Pegasus - The Dal&#39;yth Oldbloods
BAMBASH - Shas&#39;El von Richthofen&#39;s Flying Circus - Tau Empire - Allied with Imperial Guard

- I survived the SEBF 24hr Painting Challenge!
- One of the last surviving members of the Blue Lake Battlegroup at Compton Hall :P
Old 25 May 2005, 03:27   #6 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

The debate about whether Pathfinders are any good has been going on for years, with no end in sight. So far, most people have only &#39;agreed to disagree&#39; or state that they are good only in certain situations.

On the other hand, all and sundry swear by the power of Stealth Suits. Pathfinders are cool, but Rail Rifles make them a big target (I play Space Wolves as my main army, so I can tell you, AP 3 things scare the living daylights out of us, and take top priority. We like our saves ^.^)

Stealth suits can kill lots when lucky, but Pathfinders have a max of 3. Also, they need a Devilfish, cannot infilitrate, have worse saves, and do not have the nifty night-armor.

Stealth suits are probably the safest bet.
Old 25 May 2005, 06:33   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Stealth suits, hands down. You can&#39;t beat the unit for flexibility, efficiency, or dependability.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 25 May 2005, 07:04   #8 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to mace

Stealthsuits, although they&#39;re a bit harder to use.. but basically, because they&#39;re mobile, and can pour in a LOT of fire, whilst being able to avoid most that comes back, and can usually be used in a JSJ (Jump-Shoot-Jump) manouvre to just keep on killing more and more..

Pathfinders on the other hand, are basically just more expensive fire warriors, that are static and aren&#39;t too good at taking fire, along with the relatively small amount of shots you get out of it..
Old 25 May 2005, 07:23   #9 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Stealthsuits have my vote. Like maCe said, the JSJ manouver is great once you get seeing the 18" range.

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 25 May 2005, 07:31   #10 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to dizzygamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ maCe
link=topic=7665.msg132420#msg132420 date=1117004667]
Pathfinders on the other hand, are basically just more expensive fire warriors, that are static and aren&#39;t too good at taking fire, along with the relatively small amount of shots you get out of it..
but FW dont have ML and dont bring Seekers to the party
Want to know what Confrontation is?
go here
or MSN me, always happy to chat ^_^
Closed Thread