Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Know your broadside suit
Closed Thread
Old 24 May 2005, 20:11   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Know your broadside suit

While reading this board, I've noticed that a lot of people come down on Broadside suits because they aren't mobile or that they have to check leadership to fire at particular vehicles. Or that they will jump off the board with one failed check. Hopefully this suggestion will help circumvent some of the inherent problems with sitting snipers near the edge of the board.

[size=16pt]Getting more out of your Broadside suits version 1.0[/size]

The main problems facing broadside suits are their inability to evade approaching assault armies and continue to lay down their firepower. You can buy yourself a few turns by setting up farther back on the board, but then you run into the issue of one failed check possibly removing 75~225 points worth of figures from the game. With an ethereal and some clever placement, you can avoid having him hit by a particularly bad round of oversaturation while maintaining coherency with his attached squad.

With the setup detailed in this crude diagram, the ethereal is maintaining coherency with the unit, but his position leaves him on the other side of area terrain. Depending on the size of the area terrain you may or may not have to attach drones to the ethereal to serve as an "umbilical cord" but since terrain placement is largely erratic in normal games, I feel it would be safer to bring at least one for the ethereal to make sure this placement is possible. Ideally you would like an inch or two row of trees, but that may be asking for too much

Now to the benefits of this particular setup -
The cover save is a huge plus if you can get it, and it saves you the trouble of using shield generators for your suits.

As per the Ethereal rules, your unit is now fearless and automatically passes all pinning and morale checks.

Your unit tests as leadership 10 for target priority. This is a big deal if you do not have 9 railguns laying around your army, and you need to maximize the effectiveness of all your anti tank weapons. Nothing worse than targetting a land raider, and then rolling a 9 and having to unload into a rhino who popped smoke.

Your suits are in the minority, and as a result you can distribute wounds to the drones first. With some careful planning, you can assign the anti tank weapons to the invulnerable drones and any lesser weapons to the drones and suits.

Now for my suggestions for the setup:

If you are to use three broadside suits in a formation, you will need to fill three hardpoints. If you do not need the hardwired option of the team leader, feel free to skip him because you do not need the upgraded close combat ability on these guys. If assaulted they won't be able to defeat dedicated assault troops. No reason to drop points into something you can't win. The setup I personally enjoy using is attaching a target lock to the first suit, a drone controller to the second and a target lock to the third suit. Combined with the ethereal you have 4 drones in the unit and enough to downgrade your suits to the minority. If you are going to attempt this setup using three suits, I don't see the harm in upgrading a suit to teamleader so you can hardwire another drone controller. Since your unit will be fearless until the point the ethereal is killed or removed from coherency, the casualties do not matter from the drones and will only help extend the life of your suits.

For the drone specifics, I find two shield drones and two gundrones to be enough varied saves to handle incoming fire first turn. If you have the points to spare, feel free to upgrade the gundrones to shield drones but you shouldn't expect too many anti tank weapons initially. They should be worrying about your hammerheads and transports. You don't have much to expect in the way of small fire on the first turn, so there should not be a volume of fire capable of knocking out your drones and opening your suits up to anti tank weapons. Given the fact that most anti tank/transport battles are fought on the first turn, and we cannot function in close combat, I see this approach as a method to maximize the damage output and survivability of your precious suits.

That concludes my first strategy article, and I hope it helps persuade some hardline anti-broadside players to consider giving them a shot. Leave some feedback! Bad, good? "I already knew that!?!"

Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 24 May 2005, 22:32   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: Know your broadside suit

good info i want to try to use some BS now i just need to buy one more to have 3 then all give your tatic a try

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 24 May 2005, 22:47   #3 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Looks good ShadowDeth

There are a few problems, if we're only stuck in Area Terrain though that is not blocking line of sight to the Ethereal. He'll always be vulnerable in that sense. Now if he's beyond the 6 inch limit in area terrain such as forests, that would be helpful. Just to make it apparent so that people don't assume that a couple of inches of difficult terrain will block line of sight. Now, if he could wrap around using the drones behind a bit of terrain that hides him from sight, then that would be a very nasty trick to pull against someone. The only real problem is when the Ethereal is a potential casualty from over-saturation, and an over-zealous opponent who may wish to attempt to remove all the suits and knock off the Ethereal while at it (example: unloading 2 heavy bolters and 3 lascannons into the squad would be highly dangerous).

It's a refreshing way to think about things in another light, outside from high efficiency and tournament settings, to give a try for fun.

Umbilical Cord Ethereals and various units. Fun stuff! Reminds me of the "Honorable Coward" motif that Tau had in 3rd

Looking forward to the next!

-Mal
Old 25 May 2005, 00:17   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

You know I have actually done that before but with Crisis Suits...

3 Crisis (TL MP and Drone Controller w/4 Gun Drones and 2 Sheild Drones) and 1 Ethereal (HW Drone Controller w/ 2 Sheild Drones). It was really sick.

I'm right behind you!

Never look back at what you have done. If you do you might not see the tree in front of you.
Old 25 May 2005, 00:25   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanctum
You know I have actually done that before but with Crisis Suits...

3 Crisis (TL MP and Drone Controller w/4 Gun Drones and 2 Sheild Drones) and 1 Ethereal (HW Drone Controller w/ 2 Sheild Drones). It was really sick.
it didnt slow your crisis suit down if they had to move ?

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 25 May 2005, 04:00   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
Looks good ShadowDeth

There are a few problems, if we're only stuck in Area Terrain though that is not blocking line of sight to the Ethereal. He'll always be vulnerable in that sense. Now if he's beyond the 6 inch limit in area terrain such as forests, that would be helpful. Just to make it apparent so that people don't assume that a couple of inches of difficult terrain will block line of sight. Now, if he could wrap around using the drones behind a bit of terrain that hides him from sight, then that would be a very nasty trick to pull against someone. The only real problem is when the Ethereal is a potential casualty from over-saturation, and an over-zealous opponent who may wish to attempt to remove all the suits and knock off the Ethereal while at it (example: unloading 2 heavy bolters and 3 lascannons into the squad would be highly dangerous).
I thought that units on the opposite side of area terrain could not be targetted, assuming the area terrain is size 3? The only possible shooters who could affect the ethereal would be vehicles and monsters if it was 2, correct?
Join the arena, and succumb to the eternal lust!
http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=9054.0
Old 25 May 2005, 10:40   #7 (permalink)
Shas'O

Area terrain does indeed block line of sight to models that are deep within it or opposite it as enemies can only normally see 6 inches into it. However, it's just good to be clear about what area terrain is because it's not always common on the board (such as the jungle example from above, versus the difficult terrain example).

Now, as long as the your area terrain is category size 2 (not size 1) then all other size categories will be subject to the 6 inches into area terrain rule. However, if your unit is standing in size 1 category area terrain, then a vehicle of size 3 will cause some problems.

That's all I meant by being careful about area terrain, as it's actually a very broad term compared to what we're trying to do, which is merely hide line of sight to the Ethereal or deny range for the ability to shoot him down. And it's absolutely correct that if your Ethereal is on the opposite side of any area terrain (regardless of size) that is at least the same size as him, he will not be seen what so ever (though this isn't terribly common).

Cheers!
Old 25 May 2005, 12:16   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I have a question.

If I use this diagram as a way to set up my BS and Ethereal, can my opponent target the drone closest to the ethereal with a template weapon to take him out?

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Old 25 May 2005, 12:22   #9 (permalink)
Shas'O

Wolf-Tau:

A template weapon will never take the Ethereal out because he is part of the squad (ok, perhaps never was too strong a word, but it's very very unlikely). You never have to take models from underneath the template as casualties. You take casualties from the whole squad (to prevent template snipering of leaders, heavy weapons, etc). The only way for a template to only hit the Ethereal is if it he was the absolute only model within the maximum range of a weapon, and that no other models were in that range or if there were simply more wounds dealt to the squad than there are models in it. However, if the Ethereal is over 6 inches into blocking area terrain of the appropriate size (size 2 or greater) or behind area terrain of size 2 or greater, then he will not be able to be taken as a casualty at all since he's "out of range."

Not even scattering barrage can kill the Ethereal even if he's the only model that it scattered onto. He's still part of the squad and the squad suffers the casualty, not just the Ethereal, so you could remove a different model (most likely from the majority).
Old 25 May 2005, 13:04   #10 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

So being that he is within 2" of the squad make him part of the squad. Hence wounds are taken from the squad.

Cool, thanks

WT
Eldar Blog http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59588.0
My Non-Breaking Flying base for http://forums.tauonline.org/index.php?topic=59730.0
Closed Thread