Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

RTT Report 5/21
Closed Thread
Old 23 May 2005, 04:44   #1 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default RTT Report 5/21

I played in a 1700 pt tournament this weekend. Here's the list I used:
  • Shas'el [TL Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster, HW Multitracker] (96)
  • Shas'el [TL Plasma Rifle, Fusion Blaster, HW Multitracker] (96)
  • 6 Stealth Suits (180)
  • 6 Stealth Suits (180)
  • 1 Crisis Suit [Twin-Linked Missile Pod, Flamer] (57)
  • 12 Firewarriors in Devilfish [Multitracker, Decoy] (215)
  • 14 Kroot (98)
  • 8 Pathfinders in Devilfish [Shas'ui, HWDC + 2 Gun Drones, Multitracker, Decoy, 1 Seeker] (233)
  • Railhead [SMS, Target Lock, Multitracker, Decoy] (180)
  • Ionhead [Burst Cannons, Multitracker, Decoy,* 2 Seekers] (165)
  • 2 Broadside Battlesuits [DC + 2 Shield Drone] (200)

Total: 1700
Seekers: 3
Tanks: 4

Game 1 vs Blood Ravens

Don't really know anything about this chapter other than they were the Marines featured in Dawn of War. They were really well painted and their owner was a nice guy, if a bit rusty on 4th ed rules. He'd been forced to spend a lot of points on Wargear in order to field a fully painted army, and as such, his list wasn't as optimized as it might have been. He was especially light on anti-tank, having only 2 Assault Cannons and one Missile Launcher. His HQ was a Grand Master and a Techmarine... although he was vehicle-light himself. The mission was 'Traitor' which used standard VP's with the caviat that we each had to give the our opponent a single model from our Elites section. Bonus VP's were awarded for killing the Traitor model. I gave him a Stealth Suit and he gave me a Terminator. Woo-hoo, I have an assault unit!!!!

Diagonal deployment zones were used (I really enjoy this deployment method!) and he infiltrated half his army and elected to Deep-Strike his Termies. I deployed my Firewarriors out of their 'fish on the left flank supported by my XV8's. The Pathfinders, 1 squad of Stealths and Kroot infiltrated into some woods on the right. The second squad of Stealths went in the middle while all my Heavy Support started far back in the corner.

His inexperience with his army and 4th edition meant this game was pretty one-sided. I lost my Firewarriors to 3 casualties and a failed Morale check, their Devilfish to the solitary Missile Launcher, and 1 Stealth Suit. At the end of the game, he was left with a wounded Grand Master. Both the Traitors died, the Stealth Suit to a failed Dangerous Terrain test, and my Terminator to a single Storm Bolter. Apparently they both had faulty equipment!

MVP: My Commanders. These guys moved within 12" of his Termies and wiped all 4 of 'em from the table in one round of shooting.

LVP: Firewarriors. If I'm going to occaisionally use these guys in a static deployment, I really need to give them a Shas'ui.

Game 2 vs Kroot Mercs

Like my first opponent, a great guy, nicely painted army... but light on points and heavy on Wargear. His army was about 1200 pts before the Wargear, and I think he was still a few points short even after buying everything he could. He even gave them Ork Hybrid (T4) which is quite expensive, although proved very useful in this game. He brought Anghkor Prok as one of his HQ's since his rules were recently updated to allow him to be played in a Kroot Mercs list. I played against Kroot in my last tournament as well, and as such knew exactly what to expect.

He inflitrated everything, and everything infiltrated d6" closer. Therefore, I did the Super-Lame 5000 Deployment which consists of making a wall of skimmers at the absolute front of my deployment zone to push back his infiltrators, while putting all my suits and soft fleshy things at the far back of the deployment zone. With only one Meltagun and Eviscerators to take down my tanks, this was going to be a tough game for him. The mission was 'Suicide Squad' where one squad in each army is worth negative VP's if it doesn't die. I picked my Kroot

He won first turn and stunned my IonHead. Infiltrating Meltaguns will do that! It then died on turn 2. I thought my Broadsides were going to be useless, however they turned out to be WONDERFUL for insta-killing 5 wound Great Knarlocs! After doing some shooting casualties to my Stealths and getting them to run off the table, a large Hound squad made it into close combat on turn 3 with my Broadsides, but their 2+ save was in the majority by that point and I'd range sniped the Shaper with Eviscerator (along with half the squad), so they lasted several rounds of combat before fleeing and being run down. Unfortunately, they popped out of combat in his turn, so I braced for the worst. I made a ring of Stealths around my Commanders and he assaulted them and they tied combat. My Deathrain and 1 Commander then assaulted in to help out the embattled XV-15s and I eventually won the combat.

Meanwhile, his Suicide Squad (led by Anghkor Prok) had wiped out my Suicide Squad and was advancing on my left flank supported by another Carnivore squad. The Pathfinders were the only available assets nearby since all my suits were in combat! I ran my Railhead and a Devilfish up between the squads and formed a skimmer line to block off the Carnivores while everything shot at the Suicide Squad led by Prok. I killed off Prok and reduced the squad to 2 models one of which was a Shaper with Eviscerator who was down to 1 wound. The Pathfinders then assaulted in. It took 'em 2 round of combat (and 3 casualties) but they eventually won! I love assaulting with Pathfinders!

After winning those two assaults, it was pretty much over. I mopped up and moved out and by the end of the game, all that was left were a few snipers.

MVP: Broadsides and Pathfinders. Railguns' ability to insta-kill Knarlocs was VERY nice. The Pathfinders didn't use their Markerlights all that much this game since I lost my Seekers early (2 of 'em were on the IonHead), and any Suit weapons which might have benefitted from their guidance were in combat. Instead, I found myself shooting with their Carbines, causing pinning checks, and assaulting after shooting (Carbines are Assault weapons!). I really wish you could bring Firewarriors with 100% Carbines...

LVP: Kroot. My Kroot where wholly inferior to his Kroot in every way. Lower leadership, no armor, less Toughness... blech. I had Ork Hybrid jealousy.

Game 3 vs Blood Angels

This guy was my good friend Matt. Kind of ironic that we were paired together in the last round. It was especially wierd since we'd played a practice game the day before in preparation for the event! His list was pretty standard... he rolled up 10 Death Company. The mission was 'Hostage'. I was the Defender and had to protect a hostage that was in my deployment zone. He got bonus victory points if he could rescue the hostage.

He deployed centrally with a Pred on each flank. The Death Company, another large Assault Squad and a Rhino Squad were all in the center ready to rush for the large ruined building in the center of the table. I decided to give the static deployment another shot and deployed all my Shas'la out of their transports in the hopes of some early game 30" shots before loading up and moving out to run from the ravenous raging Jump Packers.

He won first turn and botched all his anti-tank rolls. His AutoCannon Pred with sponson LasCannons hit with all 4 shots and failed to beat AV13 with any of them. The only damage he was able to cause was his Missile Launcher Devs did down the Pathfinder Devilfish. His Landspeeder ran to the left and killed 3 Kroot that I'd infiltrated into the far left corner.

I grinned.

Then I proceeded to botch all of my Armor Penetration rolls too! I downed both Landspeeders (one by the Kroot!) but other than that, I couldn't do more than knock the Assault Cannon of a Baal. Considering I had 3 Railguns and 3 Seekers, I count that as pretty unlucky. And there were now close to 20 Assault Marines and a Rhino full of baddies chillin in the center of the board. c**p.

Fortunately for me, they were more than 18" away. That's means he can't assault me, right? Right? RIGHT?! Well it would have, if he didn't roll Bloodrage for FOUR of his squads... including the Death Co. So the Death Co rush up the board, assault my Deathrain and consolodate into my Firewarriors (who happen to be located only inches from my Pathfinders). The Grail which allows his units 2d6" consolidation is super nasty! Fortunately for me, we don't fight the Firewarrior combat until the next turn so my Pathfinders have some time to re-locate. Too bad their 'fish was blown up on the first turn! The Rhino squad used their Bloodrange to situate themselves so they were the closest model to my Commanders and rapid-fire on them. Fortunately his armor held! The Commanders were then assaulted by the remnants (3 models) of a foot-slogging shooty squad who'd also Bloodraged. Good thing there wasn't a 'fist there!

My whole army focuses fire on the Rhino squad in preparation for a Pathfinder assault. Hey, it worked last game, right? Unfortunately their armor was good this turn and the Pathfinders find themselves facing 6 Marines... one of whom DOES have a 'fist. Uh oh. My Commanders drew combat with 1 wound being caused on each side. The Pathfinders actually would have drawn combat as well (1 wound each) if it weren't for the 'fist Sarge who then killed 2 more. The Death Co wiped the killzone of Firewarriors, but they passed their Morale check!

In his turn, he downs the Railhead and moves his Furioso Dreadnaught within range of the hostage. With my heavy hitters stuck in combat and my only mobile Railgun down, things are looking grim. The Death Co finish off the Firewarriors and my Commanders finish off their assailants. The Pathfinders lose combat and flee having been reduced to 4 models so they can't rally. They get away, but how can they possibly still contribute?

I get lucky and he turns his Dread around to present it's front armor to the IonHead. This allows my fleeing Pathfinders to get 4 shots at it's rear armor! They penetrate it and blow it up! The IonHead zooms towards the middle of the table to provide another "closest unit" for my Commanders to hide behind since the center of my army has just been totally obliterated. Between the XV8s and the IonHead, they reduce the Rhino squad to 2 men.

The remainder of the game involved him attempting to shoot down my IonHead with his AutoCannon Pred with LasCannon sponsons. I didn't have anything alive to deal with it (Broadsides were out of sight) and he couldn't penetrate AV13 if his life depended on it. I was able to shoot up anyone coming towards the hostage which meant that the only unit left near it was his Death Company (which I pretty much ignored the whole game). I could tell he REALLY wanted to rush out and assault my Commanders, but doing so would have given me +250 VP's. In the end, he opted to park the Death Co on the hostage. Since he didn't move it out of my deployment zone, he didn't get any bonus VP's, but since he had a model in base-to-base contact, I didn't get any either. In the end, it came down to straight casualties and he still had a 250+ point Chaplain alive along with a Predator and a Dev squad. I had my Kroot, my Commanders (both wounded), my IonHead and a below-half Broadside team. Victory for the Blood Angels!

MVP: IonHead. Damn, this thing just wouldn't go down. AV13 is TOUGH. And at 145 points, it can put out some serious firepower and take it in return.

LVP: Static deployment of Firewarriors. These guys lost me the game. If I hadn't of left them on the ground to be assaulted, his Death Co wouldn't have been locked in combat for 2 turns and I could have shot the p**s out of them. I'm still trying to determine when a static deployment is a good idea... obviously not against fast assault oriented armies with the option to Bloodrage!

So there it is. My round 3 opponent ended up winning Best Overall and I definately learned a lot. It was frustrating to lose, especially when the mistake I made was so easily avoidable, but if I had to lose, I'm glad it was to my buddy. Plus, this way I can claim that the only reason I lost is because he knows my army so well from having played against it so many times! All in all it was a fun day.

Things I learned:
  • IC's are nigh invulnerable if used properly. Even with such short ranged weaponry, I didn't lose either of them all day. I'd always known they were good units, but my recent success with them simply reinforces my opinion that the lack of an Ethereal can be compensated for by clever generaling, allowing you to bring 2 of these powerhouses.
  • I'm considering putting a Target Lock on my IonHead. I love it's low cost and am loathe to add anything else to it, but there were several occaisions where it would have been useful.
  • If I'm going to flirt with statically deploying my Firewarriors in certain scenarios, they need to have a Shas'ui. Period.
  • I think I need more Seekers. I was making a mental list of what gives my army troubles and right now, the list has 3 things on it. Shooty Marines, Death Company, and a 6 Carnifex 'nid army with a flying Tyrant. Both the 'nids and the Death Company difficulties can be remidied with larger quantities of Seekers. It's going to take some testing, but I think it can work.

As a final note, a guy I'd seen around the shop before approached me towards the end of the event and told me he was interested in starting an "ultra-mobile Tau army" and that I was the one to speak to about such things. That was quite flattering and I chatted with him about it for a while and directed him to The Guide to Mech Tau. I didn't remember the site address though so I had to look it up! I need to buy a domain name... It was fun talking strategy with another like-minded Tau player in person.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 23 May 2005, 05:18   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Default Re: RTT Report 5/21

i played the blood to day to but i use a more moblie army my only static was my kroot and PF which stay in the middle* i was so worried about death company and that chaplen but when i use 8 seekers 7 finding there mark ion cleaning up the rest i had no prooblem after that

Death Guard win 13 tie 0 lost 2

dark eldar wins 5 tie 0 lost 1
Old 23 May 2005, 05:46   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I agree, Seekers are the way to go against Death Co. If I was tailoring my list against Blood Angles, I'd have 2 squads of Pathfinders and 12 Seekers. You can't really do that in a tournament setting though.
"i like to think of playing against my list as being like punching jelly. you put all your effort in but it just moves out of the way and you cause no damage. then your arm is covered in jelly. and the chicks come out and start wrestling in the jelly, and i drink a beer with stone cold steve austin, and we watch the chicks jelly wrestling, and then the slap-bass funk starts wakka chakka wakka wakka woh" -- Spooky, describing Mech Tau

"You can of course make a list that attempts to work via fragility and easy VP donation and Pathfinders fit into that just fine." -- kai
Old 23 May 2005, 14:55   #4 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Tonka:

Sounded like a fun game. I'm glad to see someone using Pathfinders well. I had previously mentioned that they have awesome assault carbines in the entire squad in another thread and that they're still useful, and it's nice to see them being used in all their ways. It is indeed a shame that we cannot configure firewarriors with an entire array of Carbines against some enemies (like Eldar, Guard, Kroot, Various Marines). But we can get 10 carbines in a Pathfinder team, which is pretty close to 12, though the Fire Warriors could get 8 carbines, which is less. I guess it comes down to taste, but having those seekers is a blessing in disguise sometimes.

Anyhow - good to see some use of some units and weapons that people tend to shun. They're in the codex for a reason afterall

Good games too!

Though your troops are a little thin

Cheers!
Old 23 May 2005, 15:14   #5 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Very nice - it seems like you had 3 interesting games with some unusual scenarios. The Blood Ravens guy needs to read his codex a little closer since they're supposed be a librarian based army. That will teach him for painting up a techmarine first... Kroot mercs is a player's army by which I mean you gotta love to lose a lot to play that sort of army - it's definitely something neat to face though. As for blood angels - IMHO that army is kind of broken right now. The Death company/free furious charge just makes them so much better than any other SM chapter at the moment - I think BA armies have won 2 out of the last 3 GTs.

I'm not sure I'd gosuper-heavy on seekers though (e.g, 12) - the problem is that it's relatively easy to take out the pathfinders after which all those points are wasted. You could add a third ion head (replacing the broadsides obviously) for less points and get 3 shots per turn all game... I like seekers but they're awful expensive for one-shot weapons. Of course the last game I played I forgot all about them (3 missiles wasted).

I'm starting to consider the idea of using two ionheads and one railhead in my larger lists (though we play a lot of 1500 pts around here so I don't typically field 3 HHs) - except in rare circumstances I've been finding that most SM armies are leaning towards hordes (this includes other MEQs too) for which the ionhead works extremely well at a lower price point. Then again with the coming of the 'nid codex I guess I should be prepared to see a lot more bugs (which is welcome considering 75% of everyone out there right now is playing some sort of SM army ).

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 23 May 2005, 16:10   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
Though your troops are a little thin
Agreed. I caught a lot of teasing about that from my friends there. At lunch we were talking about how little cheese there was at this event... except from me. It was all in good fun, but they did have a point. My reply: "Are you serious? It's impossible to make a viable Tau army let alone a cheesy one! Don't you read Dakka?!"

Waldo, that's an interesting idea. I find that I need at least 2 units with S10 guns though... which only leaves me with only one slot available for an IonHead. Therefore if I'm looking for long range AP3 shots, Seekers are about my only option. I agree though, I'd never actually go super heavy on the Seekers in a Tournament setting. I'm considering bumping 'em up to 5 or 6 though. That's going to require that I keep the 'finders stationary for an extra turn to get 'em all off though... something I'm not sure I can manage. Like I said, it's just something I'm toying with. Regarding the Blood Angels... I'm not convinced they're unbeatable. I've had several games against this guy and they're usually much closer. For me, it's all about dodging his Death Co (or feeding them a 100pt Kroot unit as a diversion) while I dismantle the rest of his army. This game really did come down to the lucky Bloodrages on turn 2.

Old 23 May 2005, 19:13   #7 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I wouldn't call them unbeatable - it's just that they get an awful lot for free right now with very few drawbacks. The merger of the old BA rules with the new codex stuff really makes for a really nasty, potentially brutal army. However, at least it's one that's coming at you rather than the "Ultramauleens" which generally just stand in one place and grind you into dust.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 23 May 2005, 20:37   #8 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

More like Ultra-lame-eens... :

Closed Thread