Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Advise please for 1st timer against SM Iron Hands
Closed Thread
Old 23 May 2005, 04:24   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Default Advise please for 1st timer against SM Iron Hands

Howde all
Brother got me into this game and I have started painting my Tau army. He has gone and put a lot of dreadnoughts in him army and armed his scouts with armour piercing weapons whatever they are, and is pretty confident he will wipe me out. We are looking at a 1000 point army so far. or there abouts.
What advise do you experts have for countering his scouts and dreadnoughts ? I plan on having HammerHead RailGun, Broadside, 3 squads F/W, Crisis Team of 3, Commander shas'el and two bodyguards. Adjusted core 1000 point army of Jeff Halls. Would rather use the 3rd squad of F/W above Kroot that Jeff recomended but is this wise ?

Anyway advise on countering his supposedly scarely ( ooh ahhh ) army and doing it simply so my noobie mind can handle it.
i really appreciate all your help and many thanks in advance.

Damon
Old 23 May 2005, 10:18   #2 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Re: Advise please for 1st timer against SM Iron Hands

Lots of scouts and dreadnaughts? Man, I wish that sort of army was around where I'm playing. I just get 1k sons , World Eaters, and Death Guard .

In seriousness, scouts with heavy bolters are pretty nasty for tau. It will probably end up killing between 4-5 FW before your hammerhead can submunition round them, and if he has 3-4 scouts squads this could get hairy. However, 36 pulse rifle shots will leave a smoking crater where the scout squads were. Submunition rounds also work very well against scouts.

Dreadnaughts can carry lots of lascannons, heavy bolters, and other things that make tau cringe. Dreadnaughts are the number 1 target priority. Also, If you have the money and time, it would be a good Idea to take a second Hammerhead, for the army you're facing another railgun is a good Idea, but if he a few squads tactical marines in his army, an Ion cannon is a better investment. It also works well against rhinos and landspeeders. A second Hammerhead will give you more skimmers, which are really hard to kill, that can kill his guys.

What I would suggest for an army list is this

1 shas'el with Plasma rifle and Missle Pod and multi-tracker 85

3x Mon'at (Single) Crisis Suits with Plasma rifle and Missle Pod and multi-tracker 65 each or 195

3x FW squads with 10 FWs 100 each or 300

Hammerhead w/ railgun 185
Multi-tracker
Disruption Pod
Decoy Launchers
SMS

Hammerhead w/ Ion Cannon 145
Multi-tracker
Disruption Pod
Decoy Launchers
2xBurst Cannon

Broadside 75
SMS

you have 15 points to switch around the Ion Cannon and Railgun as you wish, as well as the SMS and Burst cannon.

For the greater good!
Old 23 May 2005, 11:41   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

It's hard to say much based on our description of his force - are the dreadnoughts equipped with assault cannons or lascannons? If the former, you just need to stay more than 30" away (24" range plus 6" for his move) and he can't touch you. The later can't really be outdistanced but they're only going to take out one item per turn.

In a 1000 pts you might be talking about 3 dreads - that's 3 AV 12 vehicles that each can die with one shot and which will take out 1/2 of his points when they're gone. Considering a railgun damages it on a "2" I wouldn't worry a great deal.

Dump the body guard (field them as separate 1-man mon'at crisis units plus a shas'el HQ). Take plasma and missile pods. Get your FWs into hard cover and they'll be fine.

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 23 May 2005, 13:35   #4 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Well guys thanks for the detailed an straight forward answers. I have the 3 squads of FW organised ( actually have enought for 3 squads of 12 ) and have just finished painting the first. He seems to think that the dreads won't die real easy but the numbers I do seem to show just what you pointed out. The singling out of crisis suits is a great idea thanks and I can see the sense in it.
Ok now to grab the fw extra units for my army and keep them away from him till I am ready to fight. What he doesn't know will surely hurt him later.

Thanks again ppl. Keep up the good work and in time maybe I can help people with answers. I may even post a few pics of my army painted when finished

Damon
Old 23 May 2005, 14:47   #5 (permalink)
Shas'O

Send a message via MSN to MalVeauX

Syndosis:

One little note, the only weapon you will need against a dreadnought/scout army is the mighty Missile Pod. Your 3 Crisis suits will single handedly drop those dreadnoughts with ease and the scouts as well. Everything else in your army can help out or do something else, but really, it can all come down to those twin-linked missile pods if you can take them.

A single railhead will help too, but if a single lascannon hits that Hammerhead, you might be stunned or lose the vehicle. The suits will keep ticking even if they're killed one by one. If you have Kroot, use them, they're great at countering small scout squads. And if you have pathfinders, they're great for breaking scouts cover saves coupled with your submunition blast.

As someone stated above, a dreadnought/scout army would be a blessing for most Tau players. It could have been a boo-librarian, whirlwind, 6xLasPlas cheese-marine party
Old 23 May 2005, 15:17   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalVeauX
It could have been a boo-librarian, whirlwind, 6xLasPlas cheese-marine party
You just described the SM army I'm going to build next year. (just kidding. :P). Over on Dakka that's very close to the list known as the Ultramauleens. :

The general who wins a battle makes many calculations before the battle is fought. - Sun Tzu

I want to die in my sleep like my grandpa, not screaming in terror like the rest of the people riding in his car.
Old 24 May 2005, 18:58   #7 (permalink)
Shas'El

Quote:
Originally Posted by syndosis
Howde all
Brother got me into this game and I have started painting my Tau army.* *He has gone and put a lot of dreadnoughts in him army and armed his scouts with armour piercing weapons whatever they are, and is pretty confident he will wipe me out.* *We are looking at a 1000 point army so far. or there abouts.
What advise do you experts have for countering his scouts and dreadnoughts ?* *I plan on having HammerHead RailGun, Broadside,* 3 squads F/W, Crisis Team of 3, Commander shas'el and two bodyguards.* Adjusted core 1000 point army of Jeff Halls.* *Would rather use the 3rd squad of F/W above Kroot that Jeff recomended but is this wise ?

Anyway advise on countering his supposedly scarely ( ooh ahhh ) army and doing it simply so my noobie mind can handle it.
i really appreciate all your help and many thanks in advance.

Damon
It seems a pretty resonable army to deal with Mr.Damon. I am not a fan of lots of crisis suits. My opinion is 4max up to 2000 points (shas'el and 2 shas'ui)
Remember, dreads are AV12. Its not fantastic. a railgun will blast him to pieces quite easily.
Scouts are sv4+ , meaning a railgun submunition will kill them all on a 2+. Pretty sweet deal if you ask me.

" I plan on having HammerHead RailGun, Broadside, 3 squads F/W, Crisis Team of 3, Commander shas'el and two bodyguards"
3 FW squads and the hammerhead are great. Really great. Personally, ide recommend a second hammerhead for 1000 points. its a good idea to give your Fw shas;ui a markerlight. Point it at his scouts in cover, and hit, drop a submunition on them, its hits on a 2+ and he can't claim any cover saves. dead scouts.
Don't take the shas'vre bodyguards. Take regular shas'ui suits. Bodyguards are not worth it. If you have a sole shas'el and hide him 4" behind an FW team, he cannot be shot due to his Independant Character status. Even if he's in plain sight!
Overall, your list seems OK for the challenge, but more Fire Warriors and Hammerheads should be a priority for you in the future.

"What warriors of men can stand beside the Space Wolves! The Sons of Fenris they are, hardened in the forge of their harsh world, eager for battle and honour. They are the grey warriors, ashen like the wolf, whose greatest joy is to hear the clamour of steel amidst the din of war. None can step before them, they are the first, proud in their strength and jealous of their renown. Through the storms of the warp they come, upon the very tides of terror, but of such dangers they are uncaring. They are the Space Wolves, the Undefeated, the bane of the Emperor's foes."
Old 25 May 2005, 06:51   #8 (permalink)
Kroot Warrior

Howde again
Ok then thanks everyone. He seems to think they dreadnoughts won't be damaged easily for some reason but yeah seems that hammerhead and 3 FW squads are a good core and most advise crisis teams. I may use a Broadside for extra Railgun support but keep him back with the hammer head.

Thanks again guys, this will be fun

Damon
Closed Thread