Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Anti-Termie
Old 29 Dec 2008, 21:39   #1 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Default Anti-Termie

I'm new to 40k. I need anti-termie and I am not sure how to get rid of them.

The Hammerheads submunition shot will most likely kill weak infantry, but how affective is it on termies???

The codex says the missile pod is for light tank hunting ( is it?), but can it down termies?

If you could tell me of any other anit weapon plz tell me. thx
Zely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2008, 22:01   #2 (permalink)
Shas'El

Default Re: Anti-Termie

Well, there are two approaches: Quantity and Quality.

Quantity basically means shooting them with all you have and hoping for the best. This is only effective if you really throw a lot of punishment their way (especially since it takes 18 Pulse shots to down a single Termie on average).

Quality means tackling them with the right tools - Plasma Rifles and Fusion Blasters, which means Crisis Suits in the right configuration.
I used TL Plasma Rifles with TA with some success, but the Helios configuration is also effective (PR, FB, MT), especially with Pathfinder support.

Cheers,
-Bone
CmdrBonesaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2008, 22:03   #3 (permalink)
Shas'Vre

I'm fuzzy on the new rules for terminators, but I think they have an impressive invulnerable save in addition to their 2+ armor save. With a 3+ or 4+ invulnerable, there's no point in hitting them with the usual terminator-killing armor-piercing weaponry like plasma rifles and fusion blasters. They'll get a good save against even that, so you need to rely on massive amounts of shots. Hit them with rapid-fire pulse rifles, burst cannons, and maybe missile pods. Add markerlights to guarantee lots of hits, and just wait for them to fail enough saves. Even with the 2+ save, 1 out of every 6 dice should result in a dead termie.
knightperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 Dec 2008, 22:10   #4 (permalink)
Shas'La

Send a message via AIM to LiinSivi Send a message via Yahoo to LiinSivi

Quote:
Originally Posted by knightperson
I'm fuzzy on the new rules for terminators, but I think they have an impressive invulnerable save in addition to their 2+ armor save. With a 3+ or 4+ invulnerable, there's no point in hitting them with the usual terminator-killing armor-piercing weaponry like plasma rifles and fusion blasters. They'll get a good save against even that, so you need to rely on massive amounts of shots. Hit them with rapid-fire pulse rifles, burst cannons, and maybe missile pods. Add markerlights to guarantee lots of hits, and just wait for them to fail enough saves. Even with the 2+ save, 1 out of every 6 dice should result in a dead termie.
You're thinking of Assault Termies for the 3+ invuln. Normal termies have a 5+ invuln. With the prevalence of cover saves in 5th APing them is less useful. Low AP weapons always cost more and thus limit the number of weapons you can take. Saturation fire seems to be the way to go right now. Saturation fire (Pulse) combined with Markers will mean a bad day for anything you're shooting at.

"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other poor bastard die for his" --George S. Patton
LiinSivi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2008, 02:54   #5 (permalink)
Shas'El

best to force a 4+/3+ save then a 2+ if you can. <shrugs shoulders> what can we do against marines? just keep up the fire.

If we waste all of our shots on terminators...then meh game over. But a few well placed plasmas, will get some dice a rolling. We are forced to skirmish even more as a result. so if we have to skirmish get the more likelier shots, open up the opposite way away from the terminators and keep firing.
pepsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 Dec 2008, 04:04   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Just to throw some number around...
72 shots of pulse weaponry at BS3 will statically down 5 termies. The number goes down to 48 at BS4. Thats just 2 full fire warrior teams rapid firing with a markerlight hit for each. If we leave out the devilfish for the pathfinders, it comes to 288 points to execute. Without mqrkerlight assistance, you would need three teams at 360 points.
Each rapid firing burning eye with BSF as the third hardpoint comes to 58 points and kills 1.75 Teqs. Of course, if they have a 5+ invulnerable save, this goes down to 1.168, a 3+ invulnerable save bring it to .584 kills. It would take 4 burning eyes costing 232 points to kill a single 5 unit of terminators and thats with the 5+ invulnerable save. It would take 9 to kill assault termies (the ones with the 3+ save) costing a wopping 493 points.
In the end, it might be a better deal to use the burning eyes if you can get a couple rounds of fire in or have two teams you can dedicate to the single task of killing termies. However, you can always use Firewarriors instead because even a single team at 30" should kill .8 Termies and thats about the same as a single burning eye at 24" (.9 kills).
LOL=== []\
L \ \
\_________\
| |
-------------/
leatherback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jan 2009, 19:34   #7 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to TauGamer

I just wanted to say, " I hate the Space Marines!!!!!!"
sorry, im also frustrated with space marine terminators. Ive found if you light them up with 2 markerlights your FW team can get a BS of 5! wow 48 shots with BS5 and STR 5 weapon. thats gona DESTROY them!

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig

(\_/) this is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TauGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jan 2009, 21:53   #8 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

hey hey hey, no need to hate the marines, it's just a game.... right?
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jan 2009, 23:02   #9 (permalink)
Kroot Shaper

Send a message via MSN to TauGamer

My apoligies

92% of teens have moved onto rap. If you are part of the 8% that still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your sig

(\_/) this is bunny.
(0.o) please copy and paste this into your sig and
'(__)' help him achieve world domination.
TauGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08 Jan 2009, 23:35   #10 (permalink)
Shas'El

Send a message via AIM to Tausand sun Send a message via Yahoo to Tausand sun

Besides, High armor and points are what make marines.... well marines. Isn't it? Railguns should work, I mean has anyone actually seen any unit stand long against saturated rail fire?
"The Imperium has abandoned us brothers! And these blue-skinned "saviors" seek only to enslave us. Follow me and march to freedom so we might transform the galaxy into a peaceful place for all sentient species!" -- Commander Alexander of the 88th Aldarian Phoenix Regiment
Tausand sun is offline   Reply With Quote