Chaos Daemons Codex 2013
Chaos Space Marines Codex 2012

Warhammer 40k Forum Tau Online

Warhammer 40K Forum

Markerlight question?
Old 22 Dec 2008, 22:43   #1 (permalink)
Shas'La

Default Markerlight question?

Okay I might be a newb but, how exactly do markerlights work. I know they increase ballistic skill but do they:

a) increase a TEAMS accuracy against another team AKA 12 fire warriors get BS +1 against 12 space marines
B) increase a teams accuracy against a unit AKA 12 FW against a single marine
C) increase a Units accuracy against a unit AKA 1 fw against a single marine.

and how are networked marker lights different?
Gendoikari87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 Dec 2008, 23:04   #2 (permalink)
Shas'Ui

Default Re: Markerlight question?

Erm, well if a unit has a Marker Token on it, when you fire another unit at it (before you roll any dice) you may choose to expend the token and gain +1 BS (for the unit).

So 12 Firewarriors chose to shoot at 10 Marines who have 2 Markerlight Tokens on them.

Before you roll to fire state that you are expending 1 (or both) of the Tokens to + your units BS.

So if you use both Tokens your Firewarrior's will fire at BS 5 instead of there normal BS3.

So you get 12 shots (24 in Rapid Fire Range) hitting on 2+ rather than 4+.

It boosts your units BS by +1 per token you use up to a maximum of BS 5.

Markerlights

Normal Markerlight Tokens can not be used by the unit that fired them, only subsequently firing units can use them.

Networked Markerlights are different in the fact that they fire before the rest of the unit they are attached to, and the unit can then choose to expend there own tokens.
Old 23 Dec 2008, 00:04   #3 (permalink)
Shas'La

Wow I thought only networked markerlight helped against whole squads... okay lesson learned, will now use markerlights... heavily.
Old 23 Dec 2008, 01:58   #4 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

Yes markerlights are almost essential for an effective tau "firing line" of fire warriors. Make sure you take a squad of pathfinders if you use a fire warrior intensive army. Each pathfinder comes standard with a markerlight and if you want a unit dead then just shoot em with 6 markerlights and not to much can keep them alive.

All markerlights affect the entire people in the squads shooting and the squad being shot at. (ALL fire warriors get +BS against ALL space marines) But remember that markerlights can be used not only to help you shoot better but can make enemy leadership go down, can make enemy cover saves go down (soooooo useful) and lots of other things that can be found in the tau codex.

One more thing: Markerlights are heavy weapons and can only be shot if the unit doesn't move. I see lots of tau players cheating in this rule.... (Players running up fire warriors and double-tapping with +1 BS is so annoying.)

The Star Forger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Dec 2008, 03:33   #5 (permalink)
Shas'La

I have my markerlights attached to troops, but they're in vehicles, my other markerlights are on a drone with a 4 man team of stealth units.
Old 23 Dec 2008, 03:57   #6 (permalink)
Shas'Saal

A more difficult strategy you can try is the Stealth Marker team if you like markerlights: It involves taking a squad of 3 XV-15 with 6 Marker Drones and a TA+Markerlight team leader giving you a grand total of 7 Markerlights (one of which is BS4). This is much more expensive than a Pathfinder team but has some crucial advantages:
-The team can move and fire their markerlights due to the Relentess rule of Jetpack units.
-The team is very difficult to kill due to the Stealth Fields
-Team can deploy last (or at least one of the last) due to Infiltrate (thus allowing you to place them in a safe position)
Das Boogie Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 Dec 2008, 12:28   #7 (permalink)
Shas'La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Boogie Man

-Team can deploy last (or at least one of the last) due to Infiltrate (thus allowing you to place them in a safe position)
and within range and sight of the intended target if you like.